Washington Times: Sox fan = dumbest fan of the year

I actually thought about that right after it happened and saw the replays, but thank god (for us and especially that guy) it didn't come down to him having a chance to actually catch it. If he did steal it away, he may never be able to show his face again on the South Side.

I don't think he was really anywhere close to having that ball. I thought about it before, but he's a good couple feet away and where Wise caught it was just a few inches over the yellow line.

The writer is going off about nothing though. I guess a Chicago/Bartman comparison is pretty easy.

Edited by lostfan

I didn't even read the article but that writer is a f***ing idiot.

The guy didn't catch the ball. I read a completely opposite article saying how the fan looked like he wanted to grab the ball but then retracted and it was a smart move. Guy gets ripped for nothing. This is pissing me off.

Edited by tommy

Of course, Buehrle himself might have been lacking smarts when, after receiving a 30-second congratulatory call from President Obama, he said, "What, that's all [the time] he's got for me?"

Guess what, Mark, the president of the United States had a few other things on his mind. Unlike the dimwitted fan in center field who obviously had nothing at all on his mind.

What a douche. Kinda reminds me of Hineybird.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Someone said that the fence was a good 3 or 4 feet from the fans, is that true?

There's certainly room. He couldn't have caught that ball or interfered without jumping out of his seat.

Wow, this guy makes a strong showing for stupidest sports columnist alive - no small feat - with this article:

1) Go on for an entire article ranting and raving about how a fan came within a foot of ruining a perfect game when he probably never game within four feet of the ball.

2) Lump Sox and Cubs fans together with the Bartman comparison.

3) Express outrage that Buehrle felt dissed that the President only spoke with him for thirty seconds when anyone with half a brain would realize that the comment was made in jest.

Unbelievable.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
I didn't even read the article but that writer is a f***ing idiot.

The guy didn't catch the ball. I read a completely opposite article saying how the fan looked like he wanted to grab the ball but then retracted and it was a smart move. Guy gets ripped for nothing. This is pissing me off.

LOL... as it happens, the article is indeed a piece of trash. But reading the bolded above, I hope no one in the press is reading this thread, because then the conclusion from the title may be the same.

Dick Heller, you're a complete moron.

Although I thought the Bartman incident was hilarious I've always been of the school of thought that the guy got a raw deal. When a ball is hit toward the stands and it's coming at you most people are going to try and catch it. Even Bartman was surrounded by other reaching hands. He just happened to be the one who caught it.

In this case, this guy doesn't have much of a chance to catch it and I think he did wisely retract a bit.

Dick Heller is an idiot.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
Read the comments. Most of those replying to this awful article get it.

I did, I was chuckling at the one who posted that he/she was disgusted by the article and would now stop subscribing to the Washington POST as a result. She said the POST, twice.

The article is in the TIMES.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
I did, I was chuckling at the one who posted that he/she was disgusted by the article and would now stop subscribing to the Washington POST as a result. She said the POST, twice.

The article is in the TIMES.

In Washington the dumb keep getting dumber??

Edited by BigEdWalsh

He wasn't even close to that ball. Every fan goes for a ball hit by them. It's pure instinct.

That's why blaming Bartman is f***ing stupid. Everybody around him got up and tried to go for that ball. Turns out he was the only one who actually touched it. Nobody around him got any s*** about it.