Uncle Bud Considering Pete Rose Reinstatement

HuskyCaucasian

ESPN.com-

MLB commissioner Bud Selig appears to be "seriously considering" reinstatement for Pete Rose nearly 20 years after the hit king was banned from baseball for gambling on the sport, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

Hank Aaron's support for Rose's Hall of Fame inclusion, which he mentioned at this weekend's ceremonies in Cooperstown, N.Y., is a strong indication of Selig's possible action, the Daily News reported.

"I would like to see Pete in," Aaron said. "He belongs there."

Lobbying for the move began five years ago but died when Selig became convinced Rose was not "reconfiguring" his life, the newspaper report said, part of the late commissioner Bart Giamatti's demands on Rose when he was ruled ineligible.

"I think a lot of the guys feel that it's been 20 years now for Pete, and would lean toward leniency and time served," an unnamed Hall of Famer said, according to the Daily News. "If he had admitted it in the first place and apologized way back then, he'd probably be in the Hall by now."

If Rose were to become eligible, it stands to reason he would have to be voted into the Hall of Fame by the 65 living members that make up the Veterans Committee.

Inclusion on the writers' ballot expires after 15 years, but Rose has never appeared on their ballot except by write-in.

"I know there are still guys who feel strongly against him," said another Hall of Famer, according to the report. "And I don't know if that would change even if Selig clears him."

I have no problem with this. Uncle Bud was at the helm when guys were juiced to the gills, to keep Rose out at this point is a joke.

Although, I have no problem if HOF plaques in the future talk about people's troubles, ie, mentioning his suspension or if someone who tested positive goes in at some point mentioning it on.

I think the HOF should be a little more inclusive, maybe in a separate section, someone like Tommy John should be recognized. Would someone else have gotten the surgery and been the first? Sure, but he did it and laid the path for so many guys careers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
The Hall is a crock without the all-time hit champion in it. It's about time.

It weakens the punishment for gambling, which damn near destroyed baseball. I'll accept a Hall of Fame that recognizes the sort of fame that comes from a positive impact on baseball while following the rules. I'm not certain why baseball would honor someone who basically took a dump on it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
It weakens the punishment for gambling, which damn near destroyed baseball. I'll accept a Hall of Fame that recognizes the sort of fame that comes from a positive impact on baseball while following the rules. I'm not certain why baseball would honor someone who basically took a dump on it.

I believe it's called the Hall of Fame and Museum, that's why in my other post I mentioned I wouldn't object to another section were certain aspects of the game are recognized, ie, a player who had a big impact on the game but not HOF worthy or the darker parts of the game.

How much evidence is there he gambled when he played? If there's not very much or none, then he should be recognized as a player, but again, put it on his plaque

Hypothetically let's say Rose was reinstated. Would he automatically go in to the Hall or would he have to convince the veterans committee or voters to let him in? If he's a veterans committee guy especially, i can totally imagine him languishing for a while as additioanl punishment from them.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
What about Shoeless Joe? If Petey gets back in, then he should as well.

Yeah, if you're going to lift a lifetime ban on a guy who's only been banned a couple dozen years, then you should sure as hell lift the lifetime ban of a guy whose lifetime has already passed.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
I believe it's called the Hall of Fame and Museum, that's why in my other post I mentioned I wouldn't object to another section were certain aspects of the game are recognized, ie, a player who had a big impact on the game but not HOF worthy or the darker parts of the game.

How much evidence is there he gambled when he played? If there's not very much or none, then he should be recognized as a player, but again, put it on his plaque

I do appreciate the museum aspect, and wish there would also be room for guys like Baines, not just drug users, tax evaders, and gamblers.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
This has been my stance for a while now:

He gambled as a MANAGER. There is NO evidence he did so as a player. Find the middle ground: instate him as a PLAYER, but keep him banned as a manager. Let him in the hall as a player.

About the same as the Bonds argument, he was a HoF player before he started using drugs. Every spring training MLB visits every team and informs the player about the rules. That includes gambling and a lifetime ban. I'd rather they drop the lifetime ban and say if you distinguish yourself enough as a player, we'll drop the lifetime ban. Maybe Joe Jackson doesn't have enough hits to have his ban lifted.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
This has been my stance for a while now:

He gambled as a MANAGER. There is NO evidence he did so as a player. Find the middle ground: instate him as a PLAYER, but keep him banned as a manager. Let him in the hall as a player.

This argument makes no sense, when you look at the evaluation criteria for the Hall. We can't look at a player or manager and select only certain aspects of their careers to include or exclude from consideration - the person is the person, real and whole.

Also, Rose has lied, lied again, and kept lying, over and over, on gambling. I don't know if he gambled as a player or not (and don't really care), but if that matters, then take into account he has shown zero reason to trust anything he claims or denies.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
This argument makes no sense, when you look at the evaluation criteria for the Hall. We can't look at a player or manager and select only certain aspects of their careers to include or exclude from consideration - the person is the person, real and whole.

Also, Rose has lied, lied again, and kept lying, over and over, on gambling. I don't know if he gambled as a player or not (and don't really care), but if that matters, then take into account he has shown zero reason to trust anything he claims or denies.

And that's another thing, he did repeatedly lie until he could profit from the truth. I'd be a hell of a lot more understanding if he came clean right from the start.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
And that's another thing, he did repeatedly lie until he could profit from the truth. I'd be a hell of a lot more understanding if he came clean right from the start.

He's a scum bag, we all know that. Then throw Ty Cobb out of the hall.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
He's a scum bag, we all know that. Then throw Ty Cobb out of the hall.

No, Rose knowingly broke a rule in baseball that carried with it a *lifetime* ban. He knew the rule and the penalty. There is not a rule that Cobb broke that carried a lifetime ban. What excuse is there? That the rule is unfair? Then change the rule. Why not be specific, it is a lifetime ban unless you are the all time leader?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Rose between the white lines is a HOF, outside the white lines a piece of crap as are others in MLB Hall of Fame! :gosoxretro:

It really is much simpler than that. He may be an angel who spends all winter bringing the homeless blankets and dinner, but every year MLB goes around to every clubhouse explaining the rules. He heard it 20+ times in his career, gamble on baseball and you will be banned for life. It is so simple -- you do this, and we do this. The penalty was clearly laid out, it was clearly against the rules. Zero ambiguity.

Now he should be excused because????

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
It really is much simpler than that. He may be an angel who spends all winter bringing the homeless blankets and dinner, but every year MLB goes around to every clubhouse explaining the rules. He heard it 20+ times in his career, gamble on baseball and you will be banned for life. It is so simple -- you do this, and we do this. The penalty was clearly laid out, it was clearly against the rules. Zero ambiguity.

Now he should be excused because????

If he had 1000 career hits, no one would give s*** about him. But because he got a lot of hits and played hard, he should be exempt from the rules that have governed this game for almost a century now. Bulls***.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)

If he had 1000 career hits, no one would give s*** about him. But because he got a lot of hits and played hard, he should be exempt from the rules that have governed this game for almost a century now. Bulls***.

Agreed.

As a society we should be using him as an example of leading a life by the rules. Show kids that no matter what good they may do, they can undo it by a stupid choice. And to kind of agree with some that his accomplishment should be recognized, go ahead, put in a plaque that reads he would have been enshrined here, but he is banned. Recognize the record holder and hold him up as an example of the integrity of the game. By allowing him back in we are telling kids there are two sets of rules in society. Become famous enough and you can piss on everyone. As SS said Bulls***.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
Agreed.

As a society we should be using him as an example of leading a life by the rules. Show kids that no matter what good they may do, they can undo it by a stupid choice. And to kind of agree with some that his accomplishment should be recognized, go ahead, put in a plaque that reads he would have been enshrined here, but he is banned. Recognize the record holder and hold him up as an example of the integrity of the game. By allowing him back in we are telling kids there are two sets of rules in society. Become famous enough and you can piss on everyone. As SS said Bulls***.

But, that is true.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
But, that is true.

So we should encourage and amplify it? Makes no sense. Its wrong, the HOF has rules beyond stats for evaluation (as I am glad they do), and this guy clearly violated those standards. He's not a Hall of Famer.