Sox deadline poll

southsider2k5

Sox deadline deal poll  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Sox do at the trade deadline?

• They will get a big named pitcher.
    • They will trade for a back up
    • They will trade for a starter, non-pitcher
    • They will trade for a reliever
    • The Sox will trade away a reliever
    • White Flag Part II
    • Whatever it is, Soxtalk will throw a collective hissy fit about it.
    • Not a damned thing...

Well, the hissy fit is a certainty.

I honestly think they should stand pat right now. Ultimately, the Sox need to get younger, and I'm comfortable with this team as it is. I don't want to sacrifice the team's future for this year, given what they'd likely be able to pick up.

I still believe KW is going to bring over a starting pitcher. It won't be Halladay. It may not even be Haren. But I do believe he'll bring someone over that will bolster our rotation.

I could also see him adding depth to the pen. But i really don't see him adding an offensive piece.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I still believe KW is going to bring over a starting pitcher. It won't be Halladay. It may not even be Haren. But I do believe he'll bring someone over that will bolster our rotation.

I could also see him adding depth to the pen. But i really don't see him adding an offensive piece.

While it's unlikely, IMO, that we'll get another elite starter by the deadline, I think there's a decent chance we make a play for Justin Duchscherer when he comes off the DL in August. Apparently, he'll be going immediately onto the trading block, and KW has obviously been able to work with Beane on numerous occasions.

I'm not sure how the waiver claim rights that exist after 7/31 will affect such a move, but I understand that it may not necessarily be a huge hindrance.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
While it's unlikely, IMO, that we'll get another elite starter by the deadline, I think there's a decent chance we make a play for Justin Duchscherer when he comes off the DL in August. Apparently, he'll be going immediately onto the trading block, and KW has obviously been able to work with Beane on numerous occasions.

I'm not sure how the waiver claim rights that exist after 7/31 will affect such a move, but I understand that it may not necessarily be a huge hindrance.

I've read that the A's would only want a "modest prospect" in return.

Depends, if we lose the next couple games and the tigres win, we might trade away a bullpen arm or a backup OF like BA/Wise, maybe one of our extra SP's like Colon, if the oppo happens then we might add a small piece like a 4th OF who can hit better than Dweezy. Either way I'd be surprised to see a big move take place.

IMO, we should trade off one of our extra SP's, between Colon, Richard, Torres we have one too many 5th starters/ Long relievers, i'd like to see Colon moved and go with the kids, let them develop.