bighurt4life

Charlotte

Flowers not in the lineup today, Carlos Torres dealing after his demotion

Birmingham loses 4-3

Shirek loses after just one bad inning.

W-S

Kanny game is in a weather delay Kanny v Rome Dex Carter with the start

Bristol

Guess who has another hit, a HR to be exact, maybe time for a promotion?

G-F

Edited by bighurt4life

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Shirek loses after just one bad inning.

Guess who has another hit, a HR to be exact, maybe time for a promotion?

Shirek only gave up one hit, a ground ball single, after the first. Too bad the offense couldn't pick him up. I wonder what was going on in the 1st inning.

At this point I think the Sox are going to let Shoemaker play out his hit streak. He's at 28.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
At this point I think the Sox are going to let Shoemaker play out his hit streak. He's at 28.

Wonder what the record hit streak is to start a pro career. He's got to be close if he doesn't already have it, he'll be a trivia answer at the least if he does nothing else with his life/career.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
So is it too early to be worried about Phegley? I wish we had some observers for Kannapolis games to shared their thoughts.

It ain't looking good, that's for sure. Minus Mitchell, this draft looks very very weak. Hopefully Thompson is a player. However, two players can make a draft, but it would nice to add to our depth and give us some trading chips.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
It ain't looking good, that's for sure. Minus Mitchell, this draft looks very very weak. Hopefully Thompson is a player. However, two players can make a draft, but it would nice to add to our depth and give us some trading chips.

Nah, not neccessarily. Shoemaker, Ciolli, Bellamy, Collop, and several others are doing fine. Trayce hasn't been signed yet, but he could be very very successful. Its way too early to worry about a guy like Phegley. Obviously you want to see him come out creaming the ball, but you really don't know until they are in their first full season.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)

WAAAAAYYYY too early to make statements about our draft like that. we won't know anything for at least a couple years, who knows how Heidenreich, Thompson, Holmberg, Jones(maybe) will develop not to mention several other project players or HSers we drafted. We'll see how these guys are playing in 2011 and then make some assessments.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)

No offense, maggs. But that's a ridiculous comment right there. The draft wasn't even 50 days ago. I'd say its just a little early to say this draft looks weak.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:46 AM)
No offense, maggs. But that's a ridiculous comment right there. The draft wasn't even 50 days ago. I'd say its just a little early to say this draft looks weak.

Can we rephrase it and say that aside from Mitchell, there seems to be reason to be concerned about the college level guys we drafted and their performance in our system?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Can we rephrase it and say that aside from Mitchell, there seems to be reason to be concerned about the college level guys we drafted and their performance in our system?

Not really. Because the concern seems to be focused on the performance of one guy... Phegley.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
Ok, then aside from Mitchell, who did we draft who has impressed so far?

Well Brady Shoemaker has started his professional career with a 28 game hitting streak. I would say that is pretty darn impressive. Bellamy looks really good so far too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)

ITs all relative to their expectations. Some of the guys drafted lower, like Shoemaker or even Serafin, have done very well so far.

But it is still waaaaaaaaaay early to judge the draft, beyond the signing aspect, which the Sox seem to be doing pretty well with so far.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)

Cioli, Shoemaker, Colligan, Collop, Serafin, Bellamy

It's hard to get too high or down on any of these kids after 100 at bats / 4-5 pitching appearances though.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Cioli, Shoemaker, Colligan, Collop, Serafin, Bellamy

It's hard to get too high or down on any of these kids after 100 at bats / 4-5 pitching appearances though.

I know that, I'm not asking for the final opinion here, I'm just trying to get you guys to sell me on the guys we picked other than Phegley, and I'd say you've successfully done that.

Don't forget David Holmberg. He just turned 18 last week and has a 4.97 ERA for Bristol. He has good size at 6'4 220, and has pitched well his last two outings after struggling early.

3 IP, 2 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

4 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)

Ciolli (.333 BA with a .402 OBP)

Tezak (.323 BA with a .423 OBP)

Colligan (.302 BA, .421 OBP, and .978 OPS)

Collop (6 starts; 1.31 ERA)

Shoemaker (.421 BA with a .480 OBP and 1.149 OPS; 28 game hitting streak)

Ryan Lee (.299 BA with a .389 OBP)

Serafin (5 starts; 4-1 with a 1.64 ERA; 20 K's; 5 BB's)

Wiltz (21 innings pitched; 28 K's; 5 BB's)

Negus (17 innings pitched; 24 K's; 4 BB's; 2.04 ERA)

Farotto (17 strikeouts and 1 walk in 10 innings pitched)

Bellamy (7 innings pitched; 5 K's; 0 BB's; only given up 1 hit; 0 runs; already promoted to Kanny)

Several other players have come on lately... just haven't stood out in statistical averages...

For example: Terry Doyle... last 2 starts has a total of 23 K's and 1 BB in 13 innings pitched

Edited by scenario