Cubs/Pirates Trade

CubKilla

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubs get Ramirez and Lofton from Pirates for Jose Hernandez, Brubeck (?), and a PtbNL. Not sure if I heard that Brubeck guy's name correctly. Interesting.

Why would they want Jose Hernandez?

Ramirez definitely is an upgrade over Hernandez though. Cubs get lucky as f*** again. Pittsburgh announced today that they are trading everyone they have at the ML level if someone wants them and they'll likely, by this trade, take any offer involving prospects.

Ramirez definitely is an upgrade over Hernandez though. Cubs get lucky as f*** again. Pittsburgh announced today that they are trading everyone they have at the ML level if someone wants them and they'll likely, by this trade, take any offer involving prospects.

not only pit but ana and tor as well.

Can we trade them KW and a pack of M&M's for Brian Giles?

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Eh!! This trade isnt as good as it looks. Ramirez carries a hefty salary and he is already washed up at the age of 24. He took his big money contract and ran. He will be a big flop. As for Lofton he will be a good replacement in cf. Do the pirates have any relief pitching that the sox could cash in on that would be worth while? JW :rolleyes:

I think picking up Giles would be really nice if all the Pirates are doing is looking to dump salary. Sox could move Lee and a prospect to them and the Sox can use Everett in left with Giles in center.

If that offense can't produce then who knows.

I'd hit Everett in the 2 hole and Giles in the 5 hole behind Maggs with Konerko in the 6 hole, Jose in the 7, Crede in the 8 and Olivo/Alomar in the 9 hole.

Then if the Sox want they can use one of their bench bats not named Graffy to acquire a reliever.

Eh!! This trade isnt as good as it looks. Ramirez carries a hefty salary and he is already washed up at the age of 24. He took his big money contract and ran. He will be a big flop.

Take it for what it's worth, but Chimp said that the sCrUBS will have Ramirez wrapped up through '04. If that's the case, the sCrUBS have a better 3B from now till the end of '04..... barring injury...... than they have had for a long time..... exception being Mueller.

WTF ever happened to the franchise Kevin Orie?

Take it for what it's worth, but Chimp said that the sCrUBS will have Ramirez wrapped up through '04. If that's the case, the sCrUBS have a better 3B from now till the end of '04..... barring injury...... than they have had for a long time.

24 and hitting .280.

I wouldn't complain about that. Especially since they had Lenny Freaking Harris playing 3rd. Lofton is also a huge upgrade over Goodwin.

I will give the Cubs credit; Hendry made what looks to be an exceptional deal. If those guys blow up, so what, they tried and at the time the deal was made it definately made sense.

I think picking up Giles would be really nice if all the Pirates are doing is looking to dump salary.  Sox could move Lee and a prospect to them and the Sox can use Everett in left with Giles in center. 

I'd hit Everett in the 2 hole and Giles in the 5 hole behind Maggs with Konerko in the 6 hole, Jose in the 7, Crede in the 8 and Olivo/Alomar in the 9 hole.

Then if the Sox want they can use one of their bench bats not named Graffy to acquire a reliever.

That would be highway robbery if we get pull out the Giles trade you just suggested...

But i doubt that will happen..there's gonna be another team outthere who can probably offer up better players..

I think picking up Giles would be really nice if all the Pirates are doing is looking to dump salary.  Sox could move Lee and a prospect to them and the Sox can use Everett in left with Giles in center. 

That would be highway robbery if we get pull out the Giles trade you just suggested...

But i doubt that will happen..there's gonna be another team outthere who can probably offer up better players..

IT wouldn't be all that bad if the Sox gave them Lee and Rauch. Rauch may develop but I don't see it happening with the Sox, especially with Honel, Wing, Cotts, Pacheco and Rupe their. Of course this trade is easier to make if the Sox only lose one arm in the Everett deal.

The Pirates get a potential solid starter and a solid outfielder that is younger then Giles. Sox get a stud outfielder that will be an all star and is signed for the next couple years.

Pirates also have Jeff Suppan on the block and I think you could even pry him if the Sox wanted an additional starter. I know HSC wanted the Sox to sign Suppan in the offseason.

This is all assuming that the Pirates pay Lee's salary and the Sox pay all of Giles and Suppan's salary. I'd do the trade even if Suppan wasn't a part of it. But KW better not make the deal if its only Suppan :D

Giles is signed for a few more years at like 6 or 8 mill a season.

This season he's hitting .301 with 10 hr's and 48 RBI. He has a .438 OBP. This season he's struck out 34 times while walking 61. That would be an awesome addition to the lineup.

IT wouldn't be all that bad if the Sox gave them Lee and Rauch. Rauch may develop but I don't see it happening with the Sox, especially with Honel, Wing, Cotts, Pacheco and Rupe their. Of course this trade is easier to make if the Sox only lose one arm in the Everett deal.

The Pirates get a potential solid starter and a solid outfielder that is younger then Giles. Sox get a stud outfielder that will be an all star and is signed for the next couple years.

Pirates also have Jeff Suppan on the block and I think you could even pry him if the Sox wanted an additional starter. I know HSC wanted the Sox to sign Suppan in the offseason.

This is all assuming that the Pirates pay Lee's salary and the Sox pay all of Giles and Suppan's salary. I'd do the trade even if Suppan wasn't a part of it. But KW better not make the deal if its only Suppan :D

This season he's hitting .301 with 10 hr's and 48 RBI. He has a .438 OBP. This season he's struck out 34 times while walking 61. That would be an awesome addition to the lineup.

in the last several trades, the sox were able to get players where the other team pick up the tab.

we can afford to pay for salary in a trade.

clee is trade bait.

I guess we could've had a good possibility of getting Giles with Lee, Rauch, maybe (Porzio, or Sanders, or even Wright?)

But isn't rauch hurt with elbow soreness? Would they take damage goods? Or Lee, Wright, Porzio, and whoever... :huh:

I was just talking to Mario and he mentioned that the Pirates are willing to unload Giles for not too much if a team is willing to take on Jason Kendall.

Think, the Sox could take on Kendall and send Olivo to AAA. The key is the Sox get Giles to play center and wouldn't have to give up much. I'm sure the Pirates would have to pay a lot of the salaries though, but taking on Kendall means they could do it for less.

Kendall is hitting .308 and could definately hit in the 2 hole. He has a .386 OBP

Acquiring those two would give the Sox all the bats they need. And the rotatoin is there, although acquiring Ponson or an additional reliever would be great. The best part about this deal is its a long term thing.

I'd freaking hug JR if he were willing to add the payroll.

If the Pirates can't make expenses, maybe they are a candidate for contraction, new stadium and all.

I'm sure they are trying to trade Kendall. Big contract. Re Giles, I would rather have given those three prime prospect to Pittsburgh for Giles than to the Rangers for Everett. Maybe we can get Kip back.

This is all assuming that the Pirates pay Lee's salary and the Sox pay all of Giles and Suppan's salary.  I'd do the trade even if Suppan wasn't a part of it.  But KW better not make the deal if its only Suppan  :D

The whole reason why the Pirates team is available is because they are losing money. Don't look for Pittsburgh to deal anyone they'd have to pay the salary of anyway.