Any idea why Flowers hasn't been playing?

son of a rude

They could have him working on just sitting next to the coaches during the games to learn about what is happening on the field, i.e. pitch selection, situational plays, defensive lineups etc... to give him a better idea how to manage a game behind the plate.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
Armstrong was swinging a very hot bat at the time that Flowers was promoted. They may be trying to deal him, and want to show him to the scouts.

while I was at spring training Armstrong hit the best shot . It was a line drive homer crushed. I wished he could be more consistent. I would be glad to see him improve at the plate. Believe me he has the power.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
while I was at spring training Armstrong hit the best shot . It was a line drive homer crushed. I wished he could be more consistent. I would be glad to see him improve at the plate. Believe me he has the power.

He sure does, it's more of a contact issue with him. He has light tower power, it's just a matter of him being more selective and not being so aggressive and swinging at everything.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
He sure does, it's more of a contact issue with him. He has light tower power, it's just a matter of him being more selective and not being so aggressive and swinging at everything.

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but... That sentence makes me think of Joe Borchard. Any time I see the phrase "Light Tower Power," I immediately think of Borch b/c that's one of the big reasons he was so hyped coming out of Stanford.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but... That sentence makes me think of Joe Borchard. Any time I see the phrase "Light Tower Power," I immediately think of Borch b/c that's one of the big reasons he was so hyped coming out of Stanford.

It's just a figure of speech. Cole has good power and has a bright future. Speaking of Joe Borchard, I have a Joe Borchard Barons bobblehead.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
It's just a figure of speech. Cole has good power and has a bright future. Speaking of Joe Borchard, I have a Joe Borchard Barons bobblehead.

Oh, I know. I just always associate it with Borchard. I probably will the rest of my life b/c it was the 1st time I had ever heard that term used (keep in mind, I just finished 6th grade when Borchard was drafted... damn, it doesn't seem that long ago). Heck, I think Borchard's nickname around here was "LTP."

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)

If by bright future you mean upside of a back-up catcher than I'd agree. He's a solid minor leaguer and if things pan out he'll have a run as a back-up with a big league club.

When I saw Cole in ST, he looked awful. However, when I saw him in the AAA all-star game, he looked to have a much better approach at bat.

I still have hope for him, depending on how good his defense is. Perhaps a Paul Bako type but a lot more power.