I was wrong

witesoxfan

I was completely off on Raul Ibanez. I didn't understand the Raul Ibanez signing (still really don't but I can't question it now) simply because of how much, how long, and how he'd fit into that lineup.

He still leads the Phillies in homers - with a lineup that, in case you fell asleep for 2 years, still includes Ryan Howard and Chase Utley - even after a DL stint. That 1.006 OPS he's carrying? He's never been above .900, and the closest he's gotten to that were .869 in 06 and .883 in '02.

He just may be the best free agent signing of this past offseason, even considering the Yankees trio.

(Just in case you were wondering, he's 37 right now. He makes me feel old, and I'm 15 years younger than he is. If you are older than me, don't watch him for your own sake)

Edwin Jackson comes to mind for me. I thought the Rays had made a pretty good deal considering the surplus of premium pitching prospects they had in the minor leagues. Its turned out to be pretty one-sided to this point. Jackson has been one of the top 10 pitchers in the AL this year. Matt Joyce has, well, let's say Brian Anderson would point and laugh at him right now.

Edit: I didn't realize Joyce has only had 32 at bats with the Rays this year. Still, a pretty bad trade by them to this point.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 06:31 AM)
Edwin Jackson comes to mind for me. I thought the Rays had made a pretty good deal considering the surplus of premium pitching prospects they had in the minor leagues. Its turned out to be pretty one-sided to this point. Jackson has been one of the top 10 pitchers in the AL this year. Matt Joyce has, well, let's say Brian Anderson would point and laugh at him right now.

Edit: I didn't realize Joyce has only had 32 at bats with the Rays this year. Still, a pretty bad trade by them to this point.

Joyce has been OK in his extremely limited duty, but I think Tampa based too much on statistics, mainly because I don't think they realized how bad Sonnanstine was going to be. I know that Cheat once compared Jack Egbert to Sonnanstine; not sure there were any direct shots at him for that comparison last year as he shut the Sox down in the playoffs, but with a 5.30 career ERA through 69 starts, I don't think anyone is laughing now. Jackson is 1A for the Tigers right now behind Verlander, and it's been a great trade for the Tigers.

I did want him on the Sox, and proposed many trades involving the Rays and the Sox, everyone of them involving Dye (at one point, it got to Garza, but that was never, ever going to happen), but they never matched up because the Sox didn't have the outfield prospect to match up, and Tampa is still generally a very fiscally conservative organization, and it may cost them a playoff appearance this year.