Brian Anderson traded to Red Sox for Mark Kotsay

Jimmywins1

I'd watch for a trade in the next 24 hr's with Fields heading elsewhere, potentially for a reliever (which than means Colon might be the odd man out) or some sort of prospect.

They have until tomorrow's game, which is when I'm sure Kotsay will report and be added to the Sox 25 man roster.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Kotsay isn't an OF anymore? Man, the last I remember of him was that he was a great CF. When I first heard this, I thought it was an incredible trade, but not so much if he can't even play the OF.

Ditto. But with that said, I still love Kotsay. It's like we acquired my favorite spect/player Jeremy Reed again only alot older now. :)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
That would mean raising his lifetime Batting Average 70-80 points

40-50 is more like it. With his D and passable walk rate this year, 260-270 would be fine from Brian.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
It's like we acquired my favorite spect/player Jeremy Reed again only alot older now. :)

Yeah, it's funny. After we had all those OF prospects, none of them have turned out. 2 of them (Reed and Sweeney) drew comparisons to Kotsay and the other just got traded for him.

I'm actually impressed with what we got back. It's a defense for offense trade, but I'm surprised Anderson brought back a solid bench hitter at all. Fields might go, which is really sad to me. I like Josh (liked Anderson too, but he's not going to become an everyday player) and think he still has some upside. It will be interesting to see what kind of value he has. He could probably bring in another Pena.

I would have loved to get Kotsay anytime in the early 2000's. He was a damn solid player. Good D in CF and a very solid bat. He's really regressed though, but is still a very solid bench player and still only 33-34 so he's still got some gas left in the tank.

No problem with this move what-so-ever.

Well in 1 way I'd sad to see BA go because I know we didn't see the best of him and you want to see your 1st round picks succeed with the major league ballclub.

But BA's hitting never came around and that was the issue.

Long - term I think he could still be a starter for a team like San Diego where his defensive ability comes more to the fore, but right now he doesn't look anything more than a 4th OF.

Hopefully Kotsay can do a better job than Wise has done so far this season.

Here's a guys opinion on another Sox prospect that has failed miserably and joins the cast of BA,Reed, Borchard, Sweeney, etc.

There are moments in this world, they don’t come around often, but there are moments when, and I’m not exaggerating here, there are moments when you are forced to look in the mirror and tell yourself, “There ain’t no one in the world who can do what I do worse than I do it.” There’s a pride in that sort of honesty. A certain amount of realization that could possibly create some sort of cathartsis. Some sort of monumental change that will transform that person from their current, lousy self into something better. Arizona’s Chris Young desperately needs that moment. Now.

As it currently stands, Chris Young is easily the worst everyday player in all of baseball. As of yesterday, in 49 games played totalling 175 PA, Young had a league worst .220 OBP. That’s a full 21 points lower than the next worst. Part of the reason for that low OBP (in addition to his astounding BA of .174)? How about the fact that he has only walked 8 times all year. Eight! That’s 4.7% for a guy who used to be the leadoff hitter. Combine that with the fact that he strikes out 28.7% of the time and you see a guy with the 6th lowest BB/K in the entire sport (.17).

Now Hef. Sure he’s not doing anything to get on base. But he’s probably hitting the ball hard every now and again right? No, dummy. Weren’t you listening? This guy has almost no value with his bat. His slugging percentage is an impressive .313 which puts him behind such sluggers as David Eckstein (.322), Willy Tavaras (.335), and Yuniesky Betancourt (.344). He has 11 doubles, 1 triple, and three home runs (along with his 14 singles for a grand total of 29 hits all season). But at least he’s stealing bases, right Hef? Right? Totally. Of the 23 times he’s sat on first base this season (not counting fielder’s choice outs–14 singles, 8 walks and a HBP), he’s swiped 4 bags. But he’s also been caught twice for a SB rate of .667 which is below the magic number of 75% which is supposedly the break even point. So…he’s costing the team runs in the few times he’s actually getting on base. Which is bad. I think.

But certainly, certainly, oh dear god, certainly he has to be a good defender? Right? He can’t be utterly worthless, can he? Finally. You finally got me. Chris Young has been pretty good with a glove this year. He’s fast, has a decent eye for running routes to the ball and has made 2 or 3 great jumping catches to end the game and save the (few) wins for the team. He isn’t utterly worthless.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Here's a guys opinion on another Sox prospect that has failed miserably and joins the cast of BA,Reed, Borchard, Sweeney, etc.

it shows that sometimes, if u have an opportunity to get a stud, u trade a top 5 prospect. its true, thats prospects are suspects. look at all the failures, young, sweeney, borchard, BA, fields, reed, pie, patterson, francouer.....to name a few

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)

There are moments in this world, they don’t come around often, but there are moments when, and I’m not exaggerating here, there are moments when you are forced to look in the mirror and tell yourself, “There ain’t no one in the world who can do what I do worse than I do it.” There’s a pride in that sort of honesty. A certain amount of realization that could possibly create some sort of cathartsis. Some sort of monumental change that will transform that person from their current, lousy self into something better. Arizona’s Chris Young desperately needs that moment. Now.

As it currently stands, Chris Young is easily the worst everyday player in all of baseball. As of yesterday, in 49 games played totalling 175 PA, Young had a league worst .220 OBP. That’s a full 21 points lower than the next worst. Part of the reason for that low OBP (in addition to his astounding BA of .174)? How about the fact that he has only walked 8 times all year. Eight! That’s 4.7% for a guy who used to be the leadoff hitter. Combine that with the fact that he strikes out 28.7% of the time and you see a guy with the 6th lowest BB/K in the entire sport (.17).

Now Hef. Sure he’s not doing anything to get on base. But he’s probably hitting the ball hard every now and again right? No, dummy. Weren’t you listening? This guy has almost no value with his bat. His slugging percentage is an impressive .313 which puts him behind such sluggers as David Eckstein (.322), Willy Tavaras (.335), and Yuniesky Betancourt (.344). He has 11 doubles, 1 triple, and three home runs (along with his 14 singles for a grand total of 29 hits all season). But at least he’s stealing bases, right Hef? Right? Totally. Of the 23 times he’s sat on first base this season (not counting fielder’s choice outs–14 singles, 8 walks and a HBP), he’s swiped 4 bags. But he’s also been caught twice for a SB rate of .667 which is below the magic number of 75% which is supposedly the break even point. So…he’s costing the team runs in the few times he’s actually getting on base. Which is bad. I think.

But certainly, certainly, oh dear god, certainly he has to be a good defender? Right? He can’t be utterly worthless, can he? Finally. You finally got me. Chris Young has been pretty good with a glove this year. He’s fast, has a decent eye for running routes to the ball and has made 2 or 3 great jumping catches to end the game and save the (few) wins for the team. He isn’t utterly worthless.

Is this yours, or someone else's? If it is someone else, please cite your source.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)

And Kenny was roasted mercilessly for trading him for Javy Vazquez, when Young was pounding HR's the last 2 years. The sox won that deal, getting nice production out of Javy, and still have a chance to make it a steal depending on how Flowers, Gilmore and Rodriguez do. [And Lillibridge is hitting more than his weight, something like .260 now].

But Chris Young was not a top pick, something in the late teens, IIRC.