K, this might get heated, but let's talk

bmags

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
So bikes aren't safe on sidewalks because they are problematic for walkers, but they are safer on roads where they are problematic for big vehicles that can kill people?

There have been very few studies on it, but the ones that have been done say that biking on a sidewalk is at least twice as dangerous as on the street.

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/riskfactors.htm

Table 5 compares the risks of bicycling on the sidewalk (including bicycle paths and cross­walks) and on the roadway (including bicycle lanes). Because the idea that sidewalk bicycling can be dangerous may be unfamiliar or counter­intuitive, Table 5 analyzes the risks for every possible combination of observed bicyclist char­acteristics (age, sex, and direction of travel).

The average cyclist in this study incurs a risk on the sidewalk 1.8 times as great as on the roadway, and the result is statistically significant (p

The greatest risk found in this study is for bicyclists over 18 traveling against traffic on the sidewalk. Each of these three characteristics is hazardous in itself; combined, they present 5.3 times the average risk.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
That's what I do, and that's the main problem. Cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the street if there is only one lane in each direction.

Or drivers should learn that waiting a few extra seconds to pass someone on a bike doing 15mph isn't going to make them an hour late for something.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
There have been very few studies on it, but the ones that have been done say that biking on a sidewalk is at least twice as dangerous as on the street.

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/riskfactors.htm

Yes, bikes on a sidewalk is a bad idea.

Now trails, where there aren't people coming in and out of doors, fancy trees and grates, and bad sightlines, is another story. If they put a trail along the river for example (which is partially there now), I'd take that downtown instead of Elston/Milwaukee in a heartbeat.

Also, to the question of why we can't use bike lanes, I'd like to know why so many cars DO use the bike lanes. I use them whenever they are there, but, sometimes they are not, and other times some jackass is wandering into it so they can try to squeeze by traffic.

Knew this thread would be a hoot.

Nevertheless, I've never had a problem while driving caused by a bike doing what what they are supposed to do. I pass them, at most with several cars ahead of me it takes less than a minute to get past him/her.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
Yes, bikes on a sidewalk is a bad idea.

Now trails, where there aren't people coming in and out of doors, fancy trees and grates, and bad sightlines, is another story. If they put a trail along the river for example (which is partially there now), I'd take that downtown instead of Elston/Milwaukee in a heartbeat.

Also, to the question of why we can't use bike lanes, I'd like to know why so many cars DO use the bike lanes. I use them whenever they are there, but, sometimes they are not, and other times some jackass is wandering into it so they can try to squeeze by traffic.

Or double parking in it. Or idling in it.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
Or drivers should learn that waiting a few extra seconds to pass someone on a bike doing 15mph isn't going to make them an hour late for something.

Oh, come on. You know how dangerous it is to have to go around a cyclist who is 5 feet away from the parked cars when there is a constant stream of traffic coming in the opposite direction?

I got into a physical altercation with a driver when he got out of his car and confronted me. Apparently I wasn't moving over enough and came storming out all in a huff about it. I mean, it's kind of a lose/lose... if I'm in the lane I'm a menace to the drivers and if I'm way the side I'm holding my breath as I pass every parked car. The Loop is not a bike friendly place, especially when I'm making remote location drops that dont allow me to take any paths.

As a driver I hate it when there are bikes on lower Wacker, something about a 6 inch shoulder and blind turns everywhere however has made cyclists want to ride it more. This applies a little bit to Wabash as well, but at a much lesser extent.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

So what should I do if it's a no passing area? If you want the same rights as cars that means eyerone behind the cyclist has to go 15 in a 45 for half a mile. That's ridiculous. The cyclist should be ticketed for going too slow.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Knew this thread would be a hoot.

Nevertheless, I've never had a problem while driving caused by a bike doing what what they are supposed to do. I pass them, at most with several cars ahead of me it takes less than a minute to get past him/her.

The annoying part is when you wait forever to pass a bike only to be caught at the next redlight and have the cyclist ride past everyone to the front of the line again, restarting the whole process.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:50 AM)
I got into a physical altercation with a driver when he got out of his car and confronted me. Apparently I wasn't moving over enough and came storming out all in a huff about it. I mean, it's kind of a lose/lose... if I'm in the lane I'm a menace to the drivers and if I'm way the side I'm holding my breath as I pass every parked car. The Loop is not a bike friendly place, especially when I'm making remote location drops that dont allow me to take any paths.

As a driver I hate it when there are bikes on lower Wacker, something about a 6 inch shoulder and blind turns everywhere however has made cyclists want to ride it more. This applies a little bit to Wabash as well, but at a much lesser extent.

Bikes aren't allowed on lower wacker for that very reason. And I'd never ride Wabash or Wells if I can avoid it, because its just a really bad setup for bikes with the train pilons there.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:06 AM)
So what should I do if it's a no passing area? If you want the same rights as cars that means eyerone behind the cyclist has to go 15 in a 45 for half a mile. That's ridiculous. The cyclist should be ticketed for going too slow.

Actually, most states have laws governing this. In New York state, its legal to pass a bicycle at any time, provided that it can be done safely.

And the truth is, if you can't pass a bicycle riding on the right of the traffic lane because of opposite travel because there isn't enough clearance, 45 probably isn't a safe speed regardless.

And how about cars staying the hell out of the bike lanes? As a cyclist, I've come close to being hit when someone jumps in the bike lane to make a right hand turn. In a car I got in an argument with a jackass that cut me off on the right when I was making a right turn. I wish a cop was there to set him straight.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
And how about cars staying the hell out of the bike lanes? As a cyclist, I've come close to being hit when someone jumps in the bike lane to make a right hand turn. In a car I got in an argument with a jackass that cut me off on the right when I was making a right turn. I wish a cop was there to set him straight.

I think there is an echo in here.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I'll say one thing for sure.... you gotta be f***ing crazy to ride around on a bike in the streets of Chicago. You got idiots, people without licenses, people driving cars that should not be on the streets, etc. It's a death trap.

You'd think so, and certainly there is danger. But not as much as you'd suspect. If you look at the 10 or so bike fatalities a year in Chicago, they are almost always at night, in some crappy neighborhood, and the rider doesn't have night equipment or even a helmet. If you ride in daylight, with the right equipment, its pretty safe. Not 100% safe, but then, neither is driving.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
I think PD's in major cities need to ticket for biking violations more often - drivers AND riders. Heck, they have bike patrol units, USE THEM.

And being in Chicago is a godsend for cyclists - better bike lanes and bike treatments here than in most cities.

Heres the thing, MOST cyclists in chicago DO NOT obey any basic traffic laws, and yet get upset when THEY cause almost every collision with a car. Circling in the middle of a busy intersection so you can blow through a stop light ILLEGALY warrants a ticket, and if you are struck, YOU caused it.

I will say that most of the bicycle assholes in chicago are of the same cloth, messengers and delivery people who have zero regard for laws or cars in general.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Heres the thing, MOST cyclists in chicago DO NOT obey any basic traffic laws, and yet get upset when THEY cause almost every collision with a car. Circling in the middle of a busy intersection so you can blow through a stop light ILLEGALY warrants a ticket, and if you are struck, YOU caused it.

I will say that most of the bicycle assholes in chicago are of the same cloth, messengers and delivery people who have zero regard for laws or cars in general.

1. Let's just put aside the lunatic bike messengers for a moment, because, yeah, they are insane. That isn't commuting or recreational riders.

2. I don't think its MOST cyclists, any more than I think its MOST drivers, that are being stupid about bikes/cars in traffic. In fact, I think its a minority of both. As I commute home (my commute inbound is super-early so there is little traffic), I'll be at a light with a small pack of bikers. There will always be one guy, one idiot out there bobbing and weaving in the intersection. The others, that you probably don't see, are sitting there waiting at the light with all the cars.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
1. Let's just put aside the lunatic bike messengers for a moment, because, yeah, they are insane. That isn't commuting or recreational riders.

2. I don't think its MOST cyclists, any more than I think its MOST drivers, that are being stupid about bikes/cars in traffic. In fact, I think its a minority of both. As I commute home (my commute inbound is super-early so there is little traffic), I'll be at a light with a small pack of bikers. There will always be one guy, one idiot out there bobbing and weaving in the intersection. The others, that you probably don't see, are sitting there waiting at the light with all the cars.

It could be because I live more in the downtown/loop area, and I bike as well, and I am in the minority of people who stop at a light or a stop sign. Most of the time bikes just fly through the sign on madison especially and then get angry when they almost get clocked. It is illegal not to follow traffic laws, and I think the police need to step up and issue tickets.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
It could be because I live more in the downtown/loop area, and I bike as well, and I am in the minority of people who stop at a light or a stop sign. Most of the time bikes just fly through the sign on madison especially and then get angry when they almost get clocked. It is illegal not to follow traffic laws, and I think the police need to step up and issue tickets.

Well, I will say I don't usually come to a full stop at stop signs while on the bike. I slow down to a crawl, pull up to the line, and take my turn. But I don't just fly through.