Latest Roster Moves. . .

GreatScott82

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
I believe this is the opposite of a youth movement. At least hopefully Richard's arm will get a few weeks to recover from the long outings he's had recently.

Unless it's a close game tonight and we need a LHP to come out of the bullpen to face a tough left handed batter. Thankfully, Minny doesn't have any of those, right?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
When Josh Fields is traded and some other team works with him on his swing, perhaps in the NL, I think that's one we're really going to wind up regretting.

If we trade Fields today, I will remember the transactions as a pretty pathetic day for Greg Walker's ability.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Unless it's a close game tonight and we need a LHP to come out of the bullpen to face a tough left handed batter. Thankfully, Minny doesn't have any of those, right?

Richard should not be pitching today.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
If we trade Fields today, I will remember the transactions as a pretty pathetic day for Greg Walker's ability.

I don't hold nearly as much against Walker for Anderson never developing as I do for others in the org. Fields though, that would be 95% on Walker. He got worse with time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
When Josh Fields is traded and some other team works with him on his swing, perhaps in the NL, I think that's one we're really going to wind up regretting.

You mean...you are questioning THE GREG WALKER and his work with Josh Fields???

Though, I agree, we will sell him low and a REAL hitting coach will get Fields straightened out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
I don't hold nearly as much against Walker for Anderson never developing as I do for others in the org. Fields though, that would be 95% on Walker. He got worse with time.

Considering that everyone says that Walker has no say with the veterans, when you start having to trade away failed first round picks with ENORMOUS power, that is an epic fail by your hitting coach.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Considering that everyone says that Walker has no say with the veterans, when you start having to trade away failed first round picks with ENORMOUS power, that is an epic fail by your hitting coach.

Honestly, I would buy into this crap if there was a pattern of guys who had failed to hit here and then moved onto other organizations where they started living up to their "potential." But it just hasn't happened. We haven't had guys leaving here and suddenly turning into all-stars elsewhere.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Honestly, I would but into this crap if there was a pattern of guys who had failed to hit here and then moved onto other organizations where they started living up to their "potential." But it just hasn't happened. We haven't had guys leaving here and suddenly turning into all-stars elsewhere.

Which is why I think we'll wind up regretting moving Fields for pennies on the dollar. Because I think it won't be hard for another team to develop him. It's not like we haven't seen major flashes ourselves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
Honestly, I would but into this crap if there was a pattern of guys who had failed to hit here and then moved onto other organizations where they started living up to their "potential." But it just hasn't happened. We haven't had guys leaving here and suddenly turning into all-stars elsewhere.

I think Fields will be the best example in the future for judging Walker's ability.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)

Chris Young.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
I'm sure he is smart enough to see that the pen is desperate for lefties, especially with Thornton expecting his kid.

And if not, I'm sure that somebody explained it to him. After what he did in his last two starts and after Ozzie very publicly praised his pitching, I don't think that Richard is feeling depressed right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Which is why I think we'll wind up regretting moving Fields for pennies on the dollar. Because I think it won't be hard for another team to develop him. It's not like we haven't seen major flashes ourselves.

Well, it's nice to see that Fields still has enough value that Kenny is dealing him. But I basically agree that Walker didn't tap his potential. I don't think that Walker is a bad hitting coach or that Fields is necessarily going to be a future All-Star, but I think it's fair to say that he just wasn't going to work out in the Sox organization. I wish Josh the best.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
You mean...you are questioning THE GREG WALKER and his work with Josh Fields???

Though, I agree, we will sell him low and a REAL hitting coach will get Fields straightened out.

It's not too hard to figure out why Josh Fields is late on just about every fastball he sees. I don't think it even requires a REAL hitting coach.

Colon to Rotation; Richard to Pen; Fields to AAA

By Jason Gage

SoxNet

Joe Cowley is reporting that the White Sox will make room for newly acquired 1B/OF Mark Kotsay on the 25 man roster by sending 1B/3B Josh Fields to AAA Charlotte. The move won't be made official until Wednesday, which is when...More at the Link, Including Our Analysis of the Move

I am in the very small camp with Balta on this one, that I think Fields has a good shot at being a good major league power bat in the next couple years, somewhere. Its too bad he was handled the way he was, although the result was Beckham, and you can't complain too much about that.

Richard to the pen is a bad joke. Just a stupid move.

And I know about Wise and The Catch, but really, he just shouldn't be on the major league club.