White Sox Catch-All Snippet Thread

SoxFan1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
I have no problem trading Poreda and Fields for Sherill if that is what it took to get it done.

At 1st I thought I'd be okay with that deal (Poreda & Fields). But after thinking about it, I'd be a little hesitant to give up Poreda in the deal as I think he could give us what Sherrill would even as soon as next year. This would obviously be a deal for this season, and maybe a precursor (if done soon enough) to move another bullpen guy like Dotel. Anyway, Sherrill isn't exactly a young pup (32) and he's had a 4+ ERA two out of his four full seasons. I don't know. I might still do it, but is Sherrill really worth giving up our top pitching prospect (though Hudson may have something to say about that)?

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
At 1st I thought I'd be okay with that deal (Poreda & Fields). But after thinking about it, I'd be a little hesitant to give up Poreda in the deal as I think he could give us what Sherrill would even as soon as next year. This would obviously be a deal for this season, and maybe a precursor (if done soon enough) to move another bullpen guy like Dotel. Anyway, Sherrill isn't exactly a young pup (32) and he's had a 4+ ERA two out of the four full seasons. I don't know. I might still do it, but is Sherrill really worth giving up our top pitching prospect (though Hudson may have something to say about that)?

Yeah, Sherrill isn't worth Poreda and Fields. Fields and maybe McCulloch, maybe you trade Fields and Gilmore. They'll want more than one player for Sherrill, but you don't want to way overpay for him.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
Yeah, Sherrill isn't worth Poreda and Fields. Fields and maybe McCulloch, maybe you trade Fields and Gilmore. They'll want more than one player for Sherrill, but you don't want to way overpay for him.

Ultimately Sherrill is worth what teams are willing to give up and an offer of Fields and McCulloch would get laughed at. The Dodgers are offering a package much better than that and my guess is the Angels would as well. If the Sox could get Sherrill for Poreda and Fields than I'd say they are doing great because a couple years from now when Sherril walks we'd be getting 2 1st rounders back (ideally). And I still think Poreda's upside is that of Sherril.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
Ultimately Sherrill is worth what teams are willing to give up and an offer of Fields and McCulloch would get laughed at. The Dodgers are offering a package much better than that and my guess is the Angels would as well. If the Sox could get Sherrill for Poreda and Fields than I'd say they are doing great because a couple years from now when Sherril walks we'd be getting 2 1st rounders back (ideally). And I still think Poreda's upside is that of Sherril.

Really, good point. This might just seal the deal in my mind.

If the sox see Poreda's future as a Sherrill type reliever i personally would be a bit hesitant to give up on him, but at the same time i understand KW wants to have a stocked experienced bullpen and doesn't want to wait on Poreda for results.

I would be willing to Give up Poreda + Fields and if need be someone like Upchurch for Sherrill + Pie

Also i would love for KW to get on the horn with Cashman and ask about Gardner i realize he has a broken thumb, but the yankees could defiantly use some more bullpen help. Dotel will bring them back two picks if they offer him ARB, and they've got Austin Jackson down at AAA.

Brett Gardner looks like Kenny Lofton 2.0, can cover a ton of ground out in CF has a slightly above average arm that is accurate and great base stealing instincts.

He could be a top of the order fixture for the sox for a long time, Jordan is still a bit away and mitchell isn't even in the team photo yet.

Alot of people assume the yankees will be going after holliday in the offseason and they've still got melky they could move to RF to make room for Jackson as well.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Isn't Sherill in his early 30's his performanace may decrease before he reaches free agency..

I believe he's 32. And I agree...I'd rather wait on Poreda and his upside than get Sherrill and watch his downside. But, that's just me.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I believe he's 32. And I agree...I'd rather wait on Poreda and his upside than get Sherrill and watch his downside. But, that's just me.

Not just you. No way I give up Poreda in a Sherrill deal. We're not the Giants.

Here we go bullpen shopping YET again. Wash-rinse-repeat. I thought we had this issue solved? How many of our prospects will we need to shop to finally fix this overpaid bullpen?

And if we give up one of our best prospects for yet another in the long line of bullpen saviors, it still won't help us get the key hit to win games or make quality plays in the field, etc.

The only thing I want to trade for is someone capable of hitting the baseball and running down the first base line without pulling up lame, while having the added bonus of being able to catch a baseball that is rolling at him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
Sherill is younger than Matt Thornton.

BARELY. And we've gotten the best of Matt Thornton. We didn't add him at 32 AND we didn't give up a likely version of him to get him.