White Sox Catch-All Snippet Thread

SoxFan1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there is a play making center fielder somewhere out there I hope we stand pat. Adding a starting pitcher to an already excellent starting rotation does absolutely nothing to help this team win, when the reason we don't win (consistently) does NOT revolve around said rotation.

Get us a position player who can field his position and hit some baseballs around while maybe stealing the occasional base and then we're talking.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Unless there is a play making center fielder somewhere out there I hope we stand pat. Adding a starting pitcher to an already excellent starting rotation does absolutely nothing to help this team win, when the reason we don't win (consistently) does NOT revolve around said rotation.

Get us a position player who can field his position and hit some baseballs around while maybe stealing the occasional base and then we're talking.

Are you look ing at 2009 or beyond? Cuz, the Peavy deal was for this year, next, next, next and maybe even next. Haren would be the same. Halladay, not so much.

If Kenny can get a SP that will help the Sox for the next 3-4 years, he's going to buy if hte price's right. If not, no SP.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Are you look ing at 2009 or beyond? Cuz, the Peavy deal was for this year, next, next, next and maybe even next. Haren would be the same. Halladay, not so much.

If Kenny can get a SP that will help the Sox for the next 3-4 years, he's going to buy if hte price's right. If not, no SP.

I am looking at both and also looking at the fact our non starting rotation lineup is below average. We're already getting great starting pitching and still barely a .500 team. This rotation is easily good enough to be 10 games over .500 and in first place.

We still have the absolute worst center field situation in the history of baseball going on. If we have all these resources to get a pitcher, maybe we should focus on adding some skill to our lineup. Having Wise or Kotsay playing CF and leading off is just laughable.

We're a station to station baseball team and we don't even do that very well.

The 'price won't be right' for Halladay and it wasn't for Peavy. Ditto Haren. I am absolutely against unloading talent for pieces we do not need. I would like to see Kenny improve this team, but improve the weaknesses of it.

Dear Kenny,

Please buy or sell. Standing pat would be a mistake.

I understand selling for the sake of selling is generally a bad idea, unless there is value coming in return; but I honestly do not care if the young players coming back ever crack the bigs.

This team is very flawed defensively; and the only fix is either more cowbell or by creating a few holes that can eventually be filled with someone that can catch the ball.

Love,

Greedy

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Dear Kenny,

I understand selling for the sake of selling is generally a bad idea, unless there is value coming in return; but I honestly do not care if the young players coming back ever crack the bigs.

This team is very flawed defensively; and the only fix is either more cowbell or by creating a few holes that can eventually be filled with someone that can catch the ball.

Love,

Greedy

Gotta have more Cowbell!!!

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Dear Kenny,

Love,

Greedy

You ARE Greedy.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Which means something major is brewing. :)

I was thinking the same thing. It seems like the past couple years, there was a lot of rumors around us and nothing happened. This year, it's all quiet with us... I smell a blockbuster!

But in all honesty though, probably nothing will happen.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like the past couple years, there was a lot of rumors around us and nothing happened. This year, it's all quiet with us... I smell a blockbuster!

But in all honesty though, probably nothing will happen.

I agree. Last year, we all woke up to the Ken Griffey news. This year I don't think much will happen. The "major" acquisition will be Mark Kotsay. I pray I'm wrong, though.

I dont know what else the Sox really want to do at this point. They could add an IF who can really, really hit.

And of course an ace.

But they probably are looking at this thing and saying, hey we can contend for the Central and STILL get all that $ off the books at the end of the year.

I do wish our goals were higher, but at the same time it's nice to have a farm system again.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
If we did decide to sell, the Rangers seem like a really good trading partner. They could use both Contreras and Dye.

The Rangers have some nice prospects, but after the Danks trade they may not even return our calls anymore.

Although Washburn's numbers are deceiving because of the excellent Mariners defense, the trade does improve that team and it appears they're trying to add a hitter. The Twins got O-Cab. Both of the other top central teams just improved and we can't stand pat because as of those trades they become the better teams.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
I think they are dangling jorDanks for a reliever, my gut says Heath Bell.

I don't get all the talk of getting ANOTHER reliever. Its just not something the team needs, at all. I mean if you can upgrade there, fine, but the Sox pen, despite some recent struggles, is still one of the best in baseball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
I don't get all the talk of getting ANOTHER reliever. Its just not something the team needs, at all. I mean if you can upgrade there, fine, but the Sox pen, despite some recent struggles, is still one of the best in baseball.

I would have said it was the best in baseball a few months ago. Now, it absolutely scares the crap out of me. Absolutely everyone is struggling, I would love to add another reliever for the right price(not D2).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)

I think moving on ANY pitcher makes no sense. Our pen CAN BE and SHOULD be very good...our starters ARE good.

Get us a Centerfielder who can leadoff, draw walks, steal bases and catch the damn ball...that's the one major piece I think we lack and Kotsay/Wise are NOT THE ANSWER.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
I would have said it was the best in baseball a few months ago. Now, it absolutely scares the crap out of me. Absolutely everyone is struggling, I would love to add another reliever for the right price(not D2).

I don't think you make trades based on in-season slumps. Guys like Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink... they will very, very likely go back to being what they have generally been for years, which is very good. Linebrink scares me a little bit, but even him, I think he bounces back. Pena isn't great but doesn't need to be. Carrasco is just fine for a long reliever. The only truly weak spot in there is Williams, and he's the 2nd lefty and a LOOGY, so I'm not overly worried.

I think if you go get a reliever right now, unless its a serious high end lefty, its useless or worse. And even the high end lefty isn't going to be utilized enough to make it worth what they would probably cost.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)

Also should have added, we have a few pen arms that appear nearly major league ready that I like, that could move up if needed (Link, Rodriguez for example).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I don't think you make trades based on in-season slumps. Guys like Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, Linebrink... they will very, very likely go back to being what they have generally been for years, which is very good. Linebrink scares me a little bit, but even him, I think he bounces back. Pena isn't great but doesn't need to be. Carrasco is just fine for a long reliever. The only truly weak spot in there is Williams, and he's the 2nd lefty and a LOOGY, so I'm not overly worried.

I think if you go get a reliever right now, unless its a serious high end lefty, its useless or worse. And even the high end lefty isn't going to be utilized enough to make it worth what they would probably cost.

Very good points and whose to say the reliever we get wont slump? By all accounts we'd be going for 'just another reliever' like Pena, which isn't really anything more than a sideways move that will cost us.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)

Heath Bell would be a huge upgrade. The bullpen has really struggled lately, plus he would step in for Jenks next year, as I cannot see the Sox paying Bobby the money he would command next year and going forward.