7/28 Games

bighurt4life

Charlotte leading 6-0 after 7...they've put a 5-spot in the 7th inning. Recap:

Charlotte Top 7th

Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Cole Armstrong replaces Wilson Betemit.

Cole Armstrong singles on a ground ball to left fielder Jorge Padilla.

Tyler Flowers singles on a ground ball to right fielder Elijah Dukes. Cole Armstrong to 2nd.

Eider Torres hits a sacrifice bunt. Throwing error by catcher Jhonatan Solano. Cole Armstrong to 3rd. Tyler Flowers to 2nd. Eider Torres to 1st.

Keith Ginter singles on a line drive to right fielder Elijah Dukes. Cole Armstrong scores. Tyler Flowers to 3rd. Eider Torres to 2nd.

Pitcher Change: Josh Wilkie replaces Zechry Zinicola.

Miguel Negron walks. Tyler Flowers scores. Eider Torres to 3rd. Keith Ginter to 2nd.

Brent Lillibridge triples (4) on a fly ball to right fielder Elijah Dukes. Eider Torres scores. Keith Ginter scores. Miguel Negron scores.

Josh Kroeger grounds out, shortstop Ian Desmond to first baseman Kory Casto.

Michael Restovich singles on a fly ball to right fielder Elijah Dukes. Brent Lillibridge scores.

Coaching visit to mound.

Daryle Ward grounds into double play, first baseman Kory Casto to shortstop Ian Desmond. Michael Restovich out at 2nd.

Oh, and Flowers is 1 for 2, catching baserunners trying to steal. Whisler also putting up some numbers to win.

Edited by OilCan

Linky to the B-Ham game...

5-3 Jacksonville after 5 innings. David Cook hit his 18th homer. Shame for some reason he's not in AAA.

Dash leading 10-4 after 7 1/2

Loman and Sanchez with dingers. Both Morel and Gallagher went 2-4. Sanchez also with 4 Ribbies.

NEWS UPDATE...PHEGLEY GOES YARD! STOP THE PRESSES!! 1-0 Intimidators after 7.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
HOLMBERG!!!This pick is going to look better and better as the year goes on. As soon as he gets his control working, he's going to open up some eyes in the minors.

I will say this one thing... he better develop some velocity.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)

He's 18 dude. Relax. Hell some of my buddies who are pitchers in the minors weren't throwing 90+ till about age 20 or 21.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)

The kid sits at about 89, right now, but has hit 93 a few times. I think there’s a certain perfect game winner who has proven that velocity is not really an issue.

Has anyone noticed Lillebrdge is quietly getting better at hitting at Charlotte? He is up to .287 over the past 2-3 weeks. Not sayin he is fixed but if he finishes the year at .270-.280 and gets a ST invite and does well. Maybe we have another nice option for the infield come next year or a trading chip.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
Has anyone noticed Lillebrdge is quietly getting better at hitting at Charlotte? He is up to .287 over the past 2-3 weeks. Not sayin he is fixed but if he finishes the year at .270-.280 and gets a ST invite and does well. Maybe we have another nice option for the infield come next year or a trading chip.

He’ll be up in September. Maybe he’ll show us something.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
explain?

From what I've read, he's a 6'4" 220+ pound player who sits in the mid-high 80's with his fastball. I'm gonna wait and see if velocity develops before I jump on the Holmberg wagon. If he can develop consistent velocity in the 91-93 mph range, awesome. But until then, I'm not too excited about the pick.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
The kid sits at about 89, right now, but has hit 93 a few times. I think there's a certain perfect game winner who has proven that velocity is not really an issue.

For every Mark Buehrle, you have 5 or more Jeremy Sowers.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)
For every Mark Buehrle, you have 5 or more Jeremy Sowers.

“The basics have been working, getting ahead," Holmberg said. "Ideally I like to try and bust hitters inside with the fastball, get their eyes going pretty fast. If they're behind a little with their swing I'll go with the same thing, fastball in. Then I'll change speeds with a changeup out or curveball down. That's ideal."

Holmberg’s a guy who pitches in sequence, he relies more on control then power, but his frame is projectable enough to suggest room for growth in the 3 to 4 MPH range. Also, he's only 18

“Holmberg's fastball sits consistently at 87-88 mph, but can touch 91. He also has a very good curveball that has two-plane break and has shown feel for a changeup. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds his body has some projection left that could lead to a little bit more velocity, though he'll rely on continuing to command his fastball and use it to set up his curve.” http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-...009/267784.html

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)

I would love to get an account of how that .287 looks. Is he hitting down on the ball, or is he still hitting flyballs?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
“The basics have been working, getting ahead," Holmberg said. "Ideally I like to try and bust hitters inside with the fastball, get their eyes going pretty fast. If they're behind a little with their swing I'll go with the same thing, fastball in. Then I'll change speeds with a changeup out or curveball down. That's ideal."

Holmberg’s a guy who pitches in sequence, he relies more on control then power, but his frame is projectable enough to suggest room for growth in the 3 to 4 MPH range. Also, he's only 18

“Holmberg's fastball sits consistently at 87-88 mph, but can touch 91. He also has a very good curveball that has two-plane break and has shown feel for a changeup. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds his body has some projection left that could lead to a little bit more velocity, though he'll rely on continuing to command his fastball and use it to set up his curve.” http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-...009/267784.html

sounds like he could be a stud

Oh man, I think I jinxed Remenowsky with that interview. He relieved Sauer in the 8th with 2 out and 2 on in a 1-0 lead, walked a guy, then gave up a grand slam, before getting the 3rd out that inning. I think he got mad after that, because he then struck out the side in the 9th, all swinging.

Also, somehow Sauer pitched 7.2 IP giving up 12 H, but hadn't allowed a run before that 8th inning debacle.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
"The basics have been working, getting ahead," Holmberg said. "Ideally I like to try and bust hitters inside with the fastball, get their eyes going pretty fast. If they're behind a little with their swing I'll go with the same thing, fastball in. Then I'll change speeds with a changeup out or curveball down. That's ideal."

Holmberg's a guy who pitches in sequence, he relies more on control then power, but his frame is projectable enough to suggest room for growth in the 3 to 4 MPH range. Also, he's only 18

"Holmberg's fastball sits consistently at 87-88 mph, but can touch 91. He also has a very good curveball that has two-plane break and has shown feel for a changeup. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds his body has some projection left that could lead to a little bit more velocity, though he'll rely on continuing to command his fastball and use it to set up his curve." http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-...009/267784.html

Could develop more velocity is different than actually developing more velocity. I'll wait a couple years before I put him in the stud or dud category. Too early to make a decision either way.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
From what I've read, he's a 6'4" 220+ pound player who sits in the mid-high 80's with his fastball. I'm gonna wait and see if velocity develops before I jump on the Holmberg wagon. If he can develop consistent velocity in the 91-93 mph range, awesome. But until then, I'm not too excited about the pick.

Seems to be a recurring theme.