7/28 Games

bighurt4life

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Seems to be a recurring theme.

From BearSox, yes. But from most of the rest of us, not so much. Hard to say for sure this early, but we've actually got a significant number of 2009 draft picks doing well so far. Now with Thompson signed as well, I'm pretty happy with the draft. Phegley is really the only guy who seems to be havign value issues, and its still early on him as well. If we can sign one of the couple remaining big time draftees before deadline, I'll be pretty happy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
“The basics have been working, getting ahead," Holmberg said. "Ideally I like to try and bust hitters inside with the fastball, get their eyes going pretty fast. If they're behind a little with their swing I'll go with the same thing, fastball in. Then I'll change speeds with a changeup out or curveball down. That's ideal."

Holmberg’s a guy who pitches in sequence, he relies more on control then power, but his frame is projectable enough to suggest room for growth in the 3 to 4 MPH range. Also, he's only 18

“Holmberg's fastball sits consistently at 87-88 mph, but can touch 91. He also has a very good curveball that has two-plane break and has shown feel for a changeup. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds his body has some projection left that could lead to a little bit more velocity, though he'll rely on continuing to command his fastball and use it to set up his curve.” http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-...009/267784.html

He saw his velocity spike towards the end of his high school season.