Josh Fields wants a trade

southsider2k5

Fields was given every opportunity to succeed. It's on him that he didn't produce. I'm sure he wants another org. to give more chances to play. But if he can't hit a 90 mph fastball, he should be looking at another career.

This just goes to show how bad the sox scouting dept. was with another failed #1 pick. I'm just glad it seems to have improved with Beckham and Mitchell looking good, as well as a number of decent prospects picked in later rounds.

As far as why keep Wise---it's irrelevant here. It's pointless to keep re-hashing the BA-Wise "who's the better 4th OFer" debate. The sox need someone off the bench, who can play 1b, LF, RF, pinch hit, and who can produce. Fields isn't that guy. KW seems to think Kotsay is.

Better now to get something for Field than to have him sit at AAA and cry about not playing.

Edited by beck72

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw Fields get sent down, the thought crossed my mind to jokingly start a thread saying "Josh Fields wants to be traded" to go with the Anderson thread. I decided not to for several reasons, one of them being that I was about 80% sure Fields was actually going to do it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 05:58 AM)
I wouldn't mind getting Wladamir Balentin. I don't think he's worth Fields though.

Balentien has put up good numbers in the minors, [slightly better than Fields] and is a year younger. At least he seems to have some upside that Fields hasn't. I'm not sure what Balentien's struggles are, but they can't be worse than not being able to hit a 90 mph fastball, could they?! And the sox get more OF depth for AAA, 4th OFer.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/W...Balentien.shtml

Can't blame Josh. Maybe he can get trade to a team who might actually be able to FIX his swing. First Brian and now Josh. Is this a case of two weak minded young players or should the Sox organization examine themselves and figure out why guys like these did not succeed. Is it Ozzie? Is it the minor league instruction? Walker? AJ!? Please Please figure this out before we are talking about Beckham or Mitchell wanting out of town in a few years.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
Can't blame Josh. Maybe he can get trade to a team who might actually be able to FIX his swing. First Brian and now Josh. Is this a case of two weak minded young players or should the Sox organization examine themselves and figure out why guys like these did not succeed. Is it Ozzie? Is it the minor league instruction? Walker? AJ!? Please Please figure this out before we are talking about Beckham or Mitchell wanting out of town in a few years.
Agree.

Josh has had plenty of different instructors trying to "fix" his swing. Maybe he just isnt able to adapt to a major league fastball and the game has pushed him out because he cannot adapt.

Im not going to pin this on the White Sox inability to fix his swing, he has always had a hole in his swing.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:37 AM)

Yes you can. Absolutely you can. The guy knew what it took be in the bigs since 2007, he knew what he needed to do to stay, and he did not. You can only throw a guy out there so many times to whiff against BP fastballs before you call it quits, and if he is not taking the instruction from practice to game, then something is wrong, and for once I am not going to be the guy who blames Walker.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
Not sure I agree, but Guillen has not been stellar with developing young players.

*position players

He's been excellent at developing young pitchers, he has the right amount of patience. He seems to be the exact opposite with position players.

Good riddance. From complaining about the clubhouse to complaining about playing time to now complaining about being demoted, all from a kid who has shown NOTHING at the ML level outside of one nice power run, he needs to go. Earning playing time isn't all about just putting up numbers imo, I think it also takes being a good teammate who knows their role on the team and doesn't complain. It would suck to lose two #1 picks in succession like this, but sometimes you just have to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on, which is what I think KW will do.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:19 AM)
*position players

He's been excellent at developing young pitchers, he has the right amount of patience. He seems to be the exact opposite with position players.

He hasn't been patient with guys who are either refusing to make changes, or have a questionable work ethic. Gee, welcome to the real world. And if this was really the case, why did he hardly have a peep for Chris Getz when he was free falling down into the low .230s in late June? He still kept sending him out there 5-6 days a week.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Good riddance. From complaining about the clubhouse to complaining about playing time to now complaining about being demoted, all from a kid who has shown NOTHING at the ML level outside of one nice power run, he needs to go. Earning playing time isn't all about just putting up numbers imo, I think it also takes being a good teammate who knows their role on the team and doesn't complain. It would suck to lose two #1 picks in succession like this, but sometimes you just have to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on, which is what I think KW will do.

3. Lance Broadway to the Mets earlier this year

If Fields hasn't figured out how to swing yet, at almost 28 years of age, there is practically no hope left for him.

I said in the other thread, I don't even blame Greg Walker. No matter what you think of Greg Walker, he knows a thing or two about hitting, and it seems to me Fields just doesn't get it. I'm pretty sure Fields knows what the problem with his swing is, he just can't fix it for whatever reason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
He hasn't been patient with guys who are either refusing to make changes, or have a questionable work ethic. Gee, welcome to the real world. And if this was really the case, why did he hardly have a peep for Chris Getz when he was free falling down into the low .230s in late June? He still kept sending him out there 5-6 days a week.

Getz started off hitting like .320 or something in his first month. Who else was Ozzie going to play though? Nix was hurt. Lillibridge? He had no choice but to send him out there 5-6 times.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Getz started off hitting like .320 or something in his first month. Who else was Ozzie going to play though? Nix was hurt. Lillibridge? He had no choice but to send him out there 5-6 times.

During the June slump was when Nix was already back.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Most prospects don't pan out.

Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney haven't lit the world on fire either. You can't blame Ozzie and Walker for them.

Josh Fields and Brian Anderson just aren't good enough.

not that he was a prospect, and he had been around, but too bad aardsma didnt pan out for us. no one thought hed figure it out(despite his stuff) but he has so if he can, then theres hope for them

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
Man, you're right, forgot about him. Jeez, we've just had some MISERABLE first rounders.

That's Duane Shaffer's legacy for you right there.

At least things have seemed to improve under Doug Laumann with the Poreda, Beckham and Mitchell selections.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)

good point bcuz i think its one of the reasons wise was chosen over BA. BA may be a tad bit better but im sure the sox were a lot more pleased with wises addittude and work ethic than BAs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
During the June slump was when Nix was already back.

My point in bringing that up was that Getz came in and was immediately hitting before the scouting adjustments. It's not like Nix could hit either though. If there was an average vet 2B I'm pretty certain Ozzie would've cut into Getz's playing time.

So we get rid of decent, young-ish backups to keep Wise and his .190-something batting average on the roster.

He DID make a catch, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, Fields sucks, I'm just comparing the level of suck of Dewayne Wise.

Edited by Steve9347