Kile an HOF?

Soxplosion

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1130/1469094.html

Should Kile really go into the Hall of Fame? I really dont think so. I pray for him and I respect him as a person (or a soul in heaven now I guess) but he doesnt deserve such a high honor just because he died. He had some truly horrendous years in his career (in Colorado but horrendous nonetheless) and then he had plenty of mediocre seasons. He ended with a career ERA of 4.12. Thats probably about Todd Ritchies ERA before 2002. And sheesh, while were at it lets just toss in Mike Darr and every other poor soul who has died in the middle of the season. He had a good career and a good life but leave this honor for those who earn it.

And look at some of the other names on the ballot. Darren Daulton, Danny Tartabull and Mickey Tettleton? Thats pathetic, this years ballot is truly messed up...

Originally posted by theoldroman

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1130/1469094.html

Should Kile really go into the Hall of Fame? I really dont think so. I pray for him and I respect him as a person (or a soul in heaven now I guess) but he doesnt deserve such a high honor just because he died. He had some truly horrendous years in his career (in Colorado but horrendous nonetheless) and then he had plenty of mediocre seasons. He ended with a career ERA of 4.12. Thats probably about Todd Ritchies ERA before 2002. And sheesh, while were at it lets just toss in Mike Darr and every other poor soul who has died in the middle of the season. He had a good career and a good life but leave this honor for those who earn it.

And look at some of the other names on the ballot. Darren Daulton, Danny Tartabull and Mickey Tettleton? Thats pathetic, this years ballot is truly messed up...

how about you shut the f*** up before you expose yourself as an even bigger moron.

f*** you! :**** Why should I shut the f*** up? Just for trying to keep some motherf***ing dignity in just about the only dignant thing left in baseball? Geez, what if TR croaks next season? Ya gonna wanna see his face on the wall the next time ya visit Cooperstown? Hell no! Keep some f***ing dignity in the Hall, for heavens sakes...

f*** you! :**** Why should I shut the f*** up? Just for trying to keep some motherf***ing dignity in just about the only dignant thing left in baseball? Geez, what if TR croaks next season? Ya gonna wanna see his face on the wall the next time ya visit Cooperstown? Hell no! Keep some f***ing dignity in the Hall, for heavens sakes...

Nobody is realistically going to put Kile in the HOF you f***ing tard. Just like nobody is going to vote Tettleton or Mitch Williams or any of the other fringe candidates. It is simply a matter of them being eligible now, and it is a process they go through. It's not like they say "OH I deem him eligible for selection". No, when they have been retired for X amount of years, or they have passed away recently, they just automatically go on the ballot. They are acknowledging him; that's it, that's all. You are the one trying to diminish his dignity.

"He had some truly horrendous years in his career (in Colorado but horrendous nonetheless) and then he had plenty of mediocre seasons. He ended with a career ERA of 4.12. Thats probably about Todd Ritchies ERA before 2002."

"And sheesh, while were at it lets just toss in Mike Darr and every other poor soul who has died in the middle of the season."

^Most f***ed up thing I've read in a while.

WTF? My s*** was f***ed up? Whatever. And as for the X amount of years thing, I do believe Chris Sabo has been retired for atleast 5 years. So why isnt his name on the ballot, smartass? Be a little stricter. Only allow onto the ballot the true cream of the crop like Jim Kaat and Lee Smith, not all these other average players...

WTF? My s*** was f***ed up? Whatever. And as for the X amount of years thing, I do believe Chris Sabo has been retired for atleast 5 years. So why isnt his name on the ballot, smartass? Be a little stricter. Only allow onto the ballot the true cream of the crop like Jim Kaat and Lee Smith, not all these other average players... 

Who is supposed to judge who is the cream of the crop?

OH YEAH the hall of fame committee, well isn't that something?

....like talking to a wall....

Guest hotsoxchick1

spiff one thing you gotta remember is that old roman is quite a few years younger than everyone on here... so his question while offensive to you (being your are older and a bit more wiser) is really put out there to everyone as being innocent and seeking information in his young mind.....dont be too harsh on the kid.......hes a goof at times but hes just seeking knowledge and ya cant dis on him for that much.....at least he asks and doesnt fumble around in life wondering........

First off, I don't think you can really compare the careers of Mike Daar to Daryl Kile. Both of them had tragic endings and hopefully they are resting in peace, but Kile was a much more productive player in the majors.

Is he a hall of famer? Nope and he isn't going to get put into the hall either. They are just waving his eligibility, but I ensure you they won't put him in.

But Thurman Munson was a great player, Kile was never more than decent. And if it is a sign of respect, why dont they have Mike Darr on the ballot? He wasnt very good but he did die. Shouldnt they give him equal respect? Atleast be fair...

Eligible Candidates — Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

-A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning twenty (20) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

-Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3 (A).

-Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

-In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first.

-Any player on Baseball's ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.

Darr played parts of 3 seasons. There's your answer.

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

spiff one thing you gotta remember is that old roman is quite a few years younger than everyone on here... so his question while offensive to you (being your are older and a bit more wiser) is really put out there to everyone as being innocent and seeking information in his young mind.....dont be too harsh on the kid.......hes a goof at times but hes just seeking knowledge and ya cant dis on him for that much.....at least he asks and doesnt fumble around in life wondering........

it's not that i got on him for what he said, it's how he said it. if he had said simply, "i don't think darryl kile is a hall of famer" than i wouldn't have had a problem. but he goes on to trash the guy, and that i don't appreciate.

I am going to chime in with HSC here - oldroman is asking because he is trying to learn and for that I give him full credit. Give him the benefit of the doubt because he learns fast.

And as far as the whole discussion, until you posted the eligibility about the HOF I didn't know that at all about deceased players, nor about the difference between last year's deceased players and their playing time. So I thank you a great deal because I learned something that I needed to know!

But Thurman Munson was a great player, Kile was never more than decent. And if it is a sign of respect, why dont they have Mike Darr on the ballot? He wasnt very good but he did die. Shouldnt they give him equal respect? Atleast be fair...

Never more than decent? I'd have to disagree with that. He had 6 seasons with an ERA under 4.00, and in 97 with the Astros, he had an ERA of 2.57. He had an ERA of 3.90 in 2000 and an ERA of 3.17 in 2001, and this past year had an ERA of 3.72 until his death.

Considering the fact that he was 33 when he died and still probably had 5 or 6 good years left on his arm, and that he was a leader, I'd say he was even better than good. He was a great player overall...he did little things that others didn't do that made him great...they said that he was a team leader and such...that's a good thing and makes him even better. Those are the kinds of things not kept in the statistics that make players better. They seperate good players from great players.

It's these kinds of things that seperate the Paul Konerko's from the Carlos Lee's.

Originally posted by cwsox

I am going to chime in with HSC here - oldroman is asking because he is trying to learn and for that I give him full credit.  Give him the benefit of the doubt because he learns fast.

And as far as the whole discussion, until you posted the eligibility about the HOF I didn't know that at all about deceased players, nor about the difference between last year's deceased players and their playing time.  So I thank you a great deal because I learned something that I needed to know! 

Where is he asking in order to learn?

"Thats pathetic, this years ballot is truly messed up... "

There?

"And sheesh, while were at it lets just toss in Mike Darr and every other poor soul who has died in the middle of the season."

There?

"Geez, what if TR croaks next season? Ya gonna wanna see his face on the wall the next time ya visit Cooperstown? Hell no!"

There?

Don't make him out to be some babe in the woods. He didn't start this thread to find out why Kile is on the ballot.

I started it to find out what you guys think of him being on the ballot. I hate seeing him on the ballot. Lee Smith and Andre Dawson and the like are the ones for which this ballot is made. Any guy who had an ERA of over six for a complete season and a career ERA of 4.12 doesnt deserve to make it into a place thats supposed to honor the best. And spiff, I mentioned his stats because I knew if I didnt someone would ask why so I thought in advance. Even you know that youd ask why if all I said was "Kile doesnt deserve the hall". So I gave the answer before you got the chance to ask it...

He won 133 career games in 12 years. That's pretty good too. Had he not gone to Colorado, he probably could have won 140...that's in 12 years too. Had he not died he probably would have won 200 games over his career. That's great...around 11 wins a year for his entire career. Not Hall of Fame stuff, but getting on the ballot is completely different than being voted into the Hall.

Danny Tartabull was a pretty good player and was a premier slugger for part of his career, and he even hit 25 or 30 homers one year with the Sox. For that, he is on the ballot.

I'm sure Gorman Thomas was on the Hall of Fame ballot at one time. When a Sox fan is talking to Brewers fans 5 years after Frank Thomas retires, and you say "Thomas for the Hall of Fame," they are going to think your f***ing crazy.

Exactly...they won't make it. But to just get on the ballot is quite an honor...it means you were one of the better players in the game at one point in your career, or you were consistently better than mediocre. It means you were a great player and that you made the game better.

Tony "Spit" Phillips will make it onto the Hall of Fame ballot too...he won't get voted in though.

I do agree with this. If I was one of the lesser players such as Tartabull Id be greatly honored to be up there with the likes of Lee Smith and Andre Dawson. Quite honored...

And a question, how many players on this ballot will make it? And who do you think will? Id say the players with the best chances are Smith, Trammell, Mattingly and Eddie Murray. What do you think?