Kile an HOF?

Soxplosion

Guest hotsoxchick1

spiff you just have to take a bit of time to get to know how old roman posts.... we know him from the other boards and are used to his ways.... like i said hes just a kid so sometimes things we would ask in an adult manner (take the time to think out) he just blurts out off the top of his head.... he really means no harm.........honest.....

I know you need 75% of the votes.

I gotta believe that Jim Kaat has got to make it at some point, and Bert Blyleven too...Gary Carter will probably make it this year too. Lee Smith, Eddie Murray and Andre Dawson will get in eventually, as well as Flubbie Fannie Ryne Sandberg.

Another name that comes to mind when thinking about players just making the ballot is Lou Whitaker...a good player with the Tigers.

Also, to stay on the ballot you have to get a certian percentage of the votes. Something around 40% or 50% of something to that extent. I'm not exactly sure about that.

Originally posted by RyeGuy

5% isn't it?

Yep...just found that out. I was reading the Inside Dish put out by Ken Rosenthal and it compared Ryne Sandberg to Lou Whitaker(what a coincidence!). Anyways, it basically said that other than Ryne's 9 gold gloves and his 84 MVP, they had very similar careers. When he was first on the ballot, Whitaker failed to receive the 5% of the votes necessary.

5% it is.

I don't know whether Ryno deserves the hall or not. Personally I say he could go, mainly because second base isn't what you would call a position where many good offensive players have played and he was definately one of the best offensive second baseman in his era and in major league baseball history.

Since his retirement offense has really changed and his stats wouldn't even hold up when compared with people like Soriano or Alomar, but hey, you can't rate a guy like Sandberg on whats going on right now, but what went on in his generation and the previous ones.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

...you can't rate a guy like Sandberg on whats going on right now, but what went on in his generation and the previous ones.

Hence, the comparison to Lou Whitaker.

He will probably get it though...he played for the lovable losers and was pretty damn good, so why wouldn't he? Everybody knows how great the Cubs have been over the last 30 years.