Phils Acquire Cliff Lee

DBAHO

Just saw this a few mins ago;

According to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, the Phillies are moving toward a deal for Indians left-hander Cliff Lee.

A handful of Phillies prospects were abruptly scratched from Triple-A Lehigh Valley's lineup Wednesday morning. If the rumors are true, it appears Lee is going to cost Philadelphia much less than what the Blue Jays were asking for Roy Halladay. "Phillies officials have continued to tell other clubs they believe they can make a deal for Lee without giving up either their top pitching prospect, Kyle Drabek," Stark writes, "or their top position-player prospect, outfielder Dominic Brown."

FOXSports.com reports 18-year-old right-hander Jason Knapp is the "centerpiece" of the Phillies' offer to the Indians for Cliff Lee.

Knapp is currently sidelined on the Single-A leve with shoulder stiffness, but his upside according to one scout "is greater than [Kyle] Drabek's." The same scout referred to the 6-foot-5 Knapp as a "[Roy] Halladay clone." Carlos Carrasco is also thought to be involved in the offer. Stay tuned.

And then this;

A source has informed FOXSports.com that the Dodgers are planning a "hard push" for Cleveland's Cliff Lee.

They better get moving. The Phillies made an official offer for Lee Wednesday afternoon with 18-year-old right-hander Jason Knapp as the centerpiece, and the Angels are also thought to have interest.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Ricciardi watching his options dwindle

Yeah, I was just going to say...I'd love for the Phillies to get Lee and have the Red Sox start slowly decreasing their offer for Halladay...

I'd love for this move to go down, just for the fact that Knapp is only 18 and probably still quite a long way to make the majors, and if he's the centerpiece of the deal, well there's certainly a lot of risk there for Mark Shapiro with that sort of deal.

And it takes an ace out of our division of course.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
The price for Lee is going to be lower than the price that the Jays are asking for Halladay.

The price for the Shroud of Turin is going to be lower than the price the Jays are asking for Halladay.

How could he have been so incrediby boneheaded and thick in a bad economy year? Man this guy is just delusional. Oh well the reality will bite him in the butt when Haladay's trade goes way down.

I mean JP Ricciardi.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
The price for Lee is going to be lower than the price that the Jays are asking for Halladay.

of course. And the price for Bedard SHOULD have been less than both of them IMO. But that is what Ricciardi is using as his base, so hopefully Lee will show him he will get nothing if he keeps asking for the moon

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
How could he have been so incrediby boneheaded and thick in a bad economy year? Man this guy is just delusional. Oh well the reality will bite him in the butt when Haladay's trade goes way down.

I mean JP Ricciardi.

Well don't rule out Boston getting a little loopy and overpaying for Halladay.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
of course. And the price for Bedard SHOULD have been less than both of them IMO. But that is what Ricciardi is using as his base, so hopefully Lee will show him he will get nothing if he keeps asking for the moon

If you believe his deadline yesterday, he is getting nothing for him this year. And anyway, I seriously doubt he could possibly get a better offer than the ones that have been thrown around, including the nearly official one of everything but Drabek from the Phils.

Here is the package for Lee;

According to FOXSports.com, the Phillies have made an official offer to the Indians for left-hnder Cliff Lee.

Single-A right-hander Jason Knapp is the centerpiece, with Triple-A right-hander Carlos Carrasco, shortstop Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson rounding out the rest of the package. It's a decent crop of talent, but nowhere near the asking price for Toronto's Roy Halladay. Stay tuned.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
If you believe his deadline yesterday, he is getting nothing for him this year. And anyway, I seriously doubt he could possibly get a better offer than the ones that have been thrown around, including the nearly official one of everything but Drabek from the Phils.

That deadline was nonsense. If Boston wants him, they'll get him. Especially if they are offering Bucholz and other top spects like Masterson or Bowden...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
That deadline was nonsense. If Boston wants him, they'll get him. Especially if they are offering Bucholz and other top spects like Masterson or Bowden...

Boston isn't offering Buchholz. They'd be stupid to do so, quite frankly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)

I'd still love to see him in our uniform even though the odds are slim to none. We've got a lot of games against the AL East coming up and he owns those teams.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
Here is the package for Lee;

The question I have, is how is this info getting released so accurately and officially? Sounds like the Phillies are trying a little gamesmanship with Ricciardi right now...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 02:30 AM)
The question I have, is how is this info getting released so accurately and officially? Sounds like the Phillies are trying a little gamesmanship with Ricciardi right now...

Very well could be.

Either way, there's a lot of pressure of Riccardi right now, and he HAS to cut payroll also. Unless he can trade Rolen, trading Halladay is the best way to do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Boston isn't offering Buchholz. They'd be stupid to do so, quite frankly.

I don't think so. Bucholz is good but he's got a small frame and plenty of question marks. He's a high upside prospect but Boston has a ton of arms that I personally like better than Clay. Lee's option I assume would get picked up.

If I'm Boston I at least consider it and it flat out woudln't be stupid to do so. Cliff Lee is the guy teams should be targeting cause the Jays are asking way too freaking much.