Mariners acquire Jack Wilson and Ian Snell

League

Maybe Seattle thinks they can still win the AL West?

But it's a curious gamble to say the least. I think they soured too quickly on Clement, and it's a nice haul for Huntington here.

Can Snell actually pitch decently in the majors for Seattle?

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
doesnt pitt already have Doumit and Jaramillo?

Thats what I was thinking. I don't quite understand how adding a 3rd MLB ready catcher fits their mold.

I only assume someone else (Doumit?) is out the door.

Doumit could be a nice buy-low candidate since he has been hurt all year. Still would cost a couple good prospects though.

Wilson has a mutual option for next year at 8.4 mil which I assume the Mariners will pick up, seems a bit high for a player as mediocre as him. Not sure what Snell's contract situation is, I assume hes under their control for a few years.

Intersting deal for the Mariners, I think the Pirates are doing a good job of stockpiling talent for the future.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Wilson has a mutual option for next year at 8.4 mil which I assume the Mariners will pick up, seems a bit high for a player as mediocre as him. Not sure what Snell's contract situation is, I assume hes under their control for a few years.

Intersting deal for the Mariners, I think the Pirates are doing a good job of stockpiling talent for the future.

Jack Wilson's a nice defensive player, but he won't be able to hit much in Safeco. M's gave up a lot for him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)

That's what the Pirates do. Then they trade that talent when they have to pay them. It's been their M.O. for years.

I don't get why people are so high on Jeff Clement, but at the same time I've never gotten the Jack Wilson hype either. Clement isn't a good defensive catcher and he's yet to really do much at the major league level. Last season he struggled greatly in Seattle and while he's put up solid minor league numbers, it is the PCL.

He's a guy that gets love because he was a former top pick, imo. However, for Jack Wilson I wouldn't have given him up. Wilson gets paid a decent amount for a guy that won't hit. I'd rather have Juan Uribe, myself.

Great move for the Bucco's, I don't get it if I'm a Mariner fan.

Edit: I should update this. I see where the M's are getting Ian Snell back too. I like the deal a lot more now because I think Snell is the best player in the package (or at least the guy with the most upside). A change of scenery might do Snell wonders.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I don't get why people are so high on Jeff Clement, but at the same time I've never gotten the Jack Wilson hype either. Clement isn't a good defensive catcher and he's yet to really do much at the major league level. Last season he struggled greatly in Seattle and while he's put up solid minor league numbers, it is the PCL.

Agree on Clement. It's not a bad deal for Seattle, but I really like Snell.