Freddy Sanchez to the Giants

ThunderBolt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)
It must really suck to be a Pirates fan.

Why, they had a pretty good day with these trades? They know that they're playing for 2011, and the money they saved in this trade will only help them in their effort to get Sano.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
Why, they had a pretty good day with these trades? They know that they're playing for 2011, and the money they saved in this trade will only help them in their effort to get Sano.

They are always playing for 3 years away. That is the problem.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
They are always playing for 3 years away. That is the problem.

Agreed, but it looks like they're actually willing to spend some money to try and get their team into good position in 3 years. By that time, maybe the Cubs and Cardinals won't be so much more talented than the rest of the division.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
It must really suck to be a Pirates fan.

Ya - this is the first deal though I can say they got something which has potential to finally be what theyve been looking for. It makes you wonder how they botched trading the Arams, Bays and McClouths of the world for any less.

QUOTE (League @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
But now they actually have some promise with Alderson, Morton, McCutchen, Duke, Alvarez, Doumit, Milledge, etc.

Unfortunately some of those guys will be moved as well. Duke and Doumit will be dumped next year when the team is in dead last again while awaiting the arrival of Alderson or Alvarez to fulfill his potential.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
Unfortunately some of those guys will be moved as well. Duke and Doumit will be dumped next year when the team is in dead last again while awaiting the arrival of Alderson or Alvarez to fulfill his potential.

They need to basically come up with a wall like KW has...put a pushpin on a 3 year period, decide "That's the time we're going for it"...anyone who's a FA before then they should deal for prospects, and they should draft and trade with getting people who can be on the team during that stretch. Don't draft high schoolers the year beforehand, draft college guys who can maybe step in a year or two later. Draft high schoolers now and develop them for that 3 year block. Try to set yourself up so that you have very few people who are FA's after the first 2 years, so that everyone moves through on the same schedule and maybe you nail it.

Jason Bay

Nate McLouth

Aramis Ramirez

Jack Wilson

Freddy Sanchez

Jason Kendall

Nyjer Morgan

Adam LaRoche

Xavier Nady

Sean Casey

Mike Gonzalez

Ty Wigginton

Brian Giles

Matt Stairs

Reggie Sanders

Kenny Lofton

Jeff Suppan

Gary Matthews Jr.

Derek Bell

Jason Schmidt

Bronson Arroyo

Tony Womack

John Lieber

Jose Guillen

Joe Randa

Esteban Loaiza

Jay Bell

Jeff King

Charlie Hayes

Denny Neagle

Zane Smith

Andy Van Slyke

Tim Wakefield

Doug Drabek

John Smiley

Danny Jackson

Bobby Bonilla

Barry Bonds

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
Jason Bay

Nate McLouth

Aramis Ramirez

Jack Wilson

Freddy Sanchez

Jason Kendall

Nyjer Morgan

Adam LaRoche

Xavier Nady

Sean Casey

Mike Gonzalez

Ty Wigginton

Brian Giles

Matt Stairs

Reggie Sanders

Kenny Lofton

Jeff Suppan

Gary Matthews Jr.

Derek Bell

Jason Schmidt

Bronson Arroyo

Tony Womack

John Lieber

Jose Guillen

Joe Randa

Esteban Loaiza

Jay Bell

Jeff King

Charlie Hayes

Denny Neagle

Zane Smith

Andy Van Slyke

Tim Wakefield

Doug Drabek

John Smiley

Danny Jackson

Bobby Bonilla

Barry Bonds

Impressive list. Only the Pirates.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
The Expos/Nationals list would make you want to vomit.

O I remember their list. We used to laugh about it when we preach about how the strike season was the year of the Sox, Franks "Career year" that HOF bashers like to say he is missing, and it was also the year of the Expos...Having guys like Randy, Pedro, Walker over the years and dealing he young Sizemore's, Cliff Lees...just awful management. Very vomit worthy.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
Agreed, but it looks like they're actually willing to spend some money to try and get their team into good position in 3 years. By that time, maybe the Cubs and Cardinals won't be so much more talented than the rest of the division.

I really believed in Neal Huntington or whatever his name is, until I saw what he dealt McLouth for...

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Sabean is hilariously bad

That may or may not be true. Doesn't really matter to me. But let's look at the whole picture here. You've got a team (the Giants) with arguably the best pitching staff top to bottom in the NL. The WC is staring them right in the face. Everybody knows what they lack: Offense. Now If Sabean sits on all these prospects and doesn't make a move of any kind to upgrade the offense, everybody is saying what they're saying right now: That's he's an idiot. So it's a lose/lose. Now in Lincecum/Cain, the Giants have their 1-2 starters for the next 10 years (or at least until they can become free agents). You've got Bumgarner in the minors. If he's as good as we've been led to believe, you've got 3/5ths of your rotation set for years to come. And you can just round out the rotation after that. They had quality pitching prospects to spare. So they made the moves they made. Garko/Sanchez certainly aren't stars, but they're upgrades. And they give the Giants a better chance to win the WC. Prospects will come and go. But when you have a staff like theirs, and you have a legitimate chance to get to October, I think you gotta go for it. Even if you have to overpay.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Why, that is an absolutely phenomenal haul for the Pirates.

Because of the continual team turnover.

You can't buy a jersey or root for a guy if everyone who ever gets good is gone in 3 or 4 years.

It reminds me of the 1986-89 Sox; except this has been going on since 1993 in Pittsburgh.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
I don't think 2 games out warrants a firesale but I do think it'd be nice to not go for it with crap additions and end up coming up short or being bumped in round 1 of the playoffs. I get the whole "it's nice to get in cuz anything can happen" but when ur bumped out then what?

No offense Pumpkin, but I hate this argument. Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but I remember when the Sox making the playoffs was a big deal. I also think we are pretty lucky as fans to have a consistently winning team right now.

Back to the topic at hand - great deal by the Pirates in terms of potential talent. However, as others have said, they are constantly rebuilding. How many years have they done the same thing and never been competitive? I guess their best bet is to wait a couple years until the Cubs are crippled by their contracts and the Brewers can't afford their current core. Still, I agree with the "sucks to be a Pirates fan" sentiment. At some point, you just want to see your team win!

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
does this move end up costing Juan Uribe his job in the big leagues?

Nah, he’s still a better option then Velez off the bench. He was actually playing decently at 2b, making a Sanchez for Alderson trade all the more absurd.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
Who would want Alexei ?

Who wouldnt? SS who can hit and plays a decent SS in his FIRST pro season at the position. Until he was hurt, he was one of our best trading chips easily.

BTW, the Pirates are starting to rape people, I hope they turn that org around.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)

This is such a great point, i'm glad I saw it. The Cubs are going to be saddled with hefty contracts for a few older players, not to mention a bare minor league system and free agents coming available that dont have the age defying use of PED's. The Pirates could contend if they build their team correctly. That would be sweet IMO, I always liked the old Pirates teams that competed.