And that's a White Sox season.

Jordan4life_2007

Ozzie really hasn't had anything to work with since '05. I mean, sure, he has his flaws, and gets outmanaged a bit, but come on. What can he do with PK, JD, JT, and AJ in the middle of the lineup year after year? There's nothing that can be done with these guys. They're not getting any younger or faster with half their lineup locked in place. You can add CQ to that this year, as well. He's just as one-dimensional as they right now, because of the foot injury. God, where would this team be without Pods coming from nowhere, and Beckham being a rookie phenom?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
Ozzie really hasn't had anything to work with since '05. I mean, sure, he has his flaws, and gets outmanaged a bit, but come on. What can he do with PK, JD, JT, and AJ in the middle of the lineup year after year? There's nothing that can be done with these guys. They're not getting any younger or faster with half their lineup locked in place. You can add CQ to that this year, as well. He's just as one-dimensional as they right now, because of the foot injury. God, where would this team be without Pods coming from nowhere, and Beckham being a rookie phenom?

The pitching over all has been pretty damn solid.

I really don't care either way. I just don't want to see us stay in the middle. Either make a move to actually improve this team, or start selling.

This is really the worst possible spot we could be in at this time. Would have much preferred for us to be either in 1st place or actually look like a competent team most of the time, or be 10 games out. Being stuck in the middle only hurts us in the long run.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
What? That's a pretty damn formidable middle of the order.

They're all slow as hell, streaky, and swing for the fences almost every at bat. You can realistically live with two of them in the middle of the order, but we need some more speed on the basepaths. The only way to score those guys is home runs, or 3-4 consecutive base hits. We are just too SLOW.

STARTING pitching has been solid, but our bullpen has been pretty flawed since 2005 as well. You can have an entire staff of Mark Buehrles on the team, and it wouldn't matter if we're only scoring 2-3 runs a game....

Edited by CQMVP

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
They're all slow as hell, streaky, and swing for the fences almost every at bat. You can realistically live with two of them in the middle of the order, but we need some more speed on the basepaths. The only way to score those guys is home runs, or 3-4 consecutive base hits. We are just too SLOW.

STARTING pitching has been solid, but our bullpen has been pretty flawed since 2005 as well. You can have an entire staff of Mark Buehrles on the team, and it wouldn't matter if we're only scoring 2-3 runs a game....

crap, I wish I had the exact stat infront of me, but in a national game not involving the Sox (believe it was the Red Sox) they had the top 5 teams holding leads after 7 innings since 06 or 05 and the White Sox were number 5.... they've had solid pens, other pens are god awful usually

I don't want to hear it! "We're only 2 games out." This is a below average baseball team. Kenny needs to be in full sell mode right now. Don't do anything stupid to try to win this crappy division. This is kinda why I don't like the three divisions and WC from each league. You're deluded into thinking you're a contender because from a technical standpoint you're 'in it' when in reality you're not really that good. This team has so many flaws that I'm not going to bother listing them all. We've neglected the farm for years and we're playing dearly for it. We're on the way up. But it's going to take a while to undo the damage from the 2000-2006 drafts. We need to get whatever we can for our vets and build from within. I'm more than ready to absorb a down year or two if it leads to a run of sustained excellence. No more of this pulling a fluke year out our asses every 3-5 years.

For the eternal optimists, flame away. I really don't care.

I have to agree with Jordan on this. The Jekyll/Hyde syndrome this team suffers from and the constant teasing and let downs to me is not a sign of a championship caliber team but one of confusion and no identity. Look we won the 2005 WS with some of this core and frankly we can keep the parts that work and have some servicable time left. The rest as Jordan says need to be changed and what better way than thru a farm system that is on the up and up. I said practically the same thing in a couple of threads. This season based on this lack of consistancy (Only consistent thing is driving the fans crazy with this teasing!) is a wash for me. Not angry but disappointed. We have played almost 2/3rds of the season and I have seen enough to say they ain't gonna get it done, period. If by chance they make the playoffs it will be the same formula as last year (One and done) cuz no other team has the motivation or desire either to win it. So I say let's ride out the season and start in September calling up the prospects based on their AA/AAA seasons to see who can help. My 2 cents.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
Seriously. We're 3 games out with 2 months to play. Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially with a top 3 like we have.

Kenny just needs to stand pat and hope our offense starts hitting. If not change things up in the offseason.

Geez-us christ...we've been saying this for the last 4 years. You wait till offseason you pay a premium price. I'm not against seeing what Kenny can get for Dye or PK or even Floyd. Just seems like we're always waiting for this offense to come around...and with the lineup we have we shouldn't have to wait for this long time and time again. And btw...I actually predicted this to my dad that after Mark's gem...this team was gonna fall flat on its ass.

Jose and Ozzie must be appearing at the Laugh Factory...

Guillen believes his team didn't play that poorly, but they just didn't get the results. That mantra pretty much could be echoed every time the White Sox enter the Metrodome.

"Every game was very close, and sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other team," said Contreras of the White Sox, who have had nine of their past 13 games decided by one or two runs, with a 3-6 mark in those nine. "We got beat in Detroit and Minnesota. But if we keep playing this way, we'll be good."

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
Seriously. We're 3 games out with 2 months to play. Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially with a top 3 like we have.

Kenny just needs to stand pat and hope our offense starts hitting. If not change things up in the offseason.

agreed. he's not going to rape anyone else's minor leagues with the bait he's got.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
We're a .500 team at the end of July. We have no chance at winning the Word Series which should be our goal. Build for next year.

I agree,only reason we are in this division race is because the Tigers and Twins aren't very good either...

Who cares about winning a crappy division if we aren't gonna go far in the playoffs.

Sell our veterans and bring in some nice prospects.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

The fact that Pods proves repeatedly that he's a terrible defender, Getz broke the wrong way for no reason on an easy DP ball, and Kotsay hit a ball directly at Cuddyer are not due to the f***ing Metrodome.

Shut the f*** up, you pathetic announcer. You're only making an excuse and further perpetuating the belief of the entire organization that it is impossible to win in Minnesota.

f*** you, f*** you, f*** you.

God, I hate Hawk Harrelson.

I almost made this a thread, but figured that would only go badly.

Wow, I'm glad there is somebody else here who shares my views on Hawk.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)

Quentin (4 MVP) has been slow, streaky, and swinging for the fences all year. To top it off, he's been injured for most of the year too. For some reason, you aren't calling for his head.

I think this team is in dire need of a 3Bman to move Beckham back to the middle where he belongs. Rolen sounds about right to me.

The sox are frustrating to watch. Yet I'm surprised that they didn't look horrible vs the Twins [if you can say getting swept isn't looking horrible.] That's a good thing. That means they aren't overmatched vs. the Twins like in years past.

The Sox aren't the best team in baseball and they aren't the worst. They may not make the playoffs. However, they are in a position to finish the year strong, and be able to make a push for the playoffs. With what the sox are doing as an organization-changing the core of their team while still being competitive-that in itself is an accomplishment. The sox have had no minor league system for nearly a decade. With the picks the sox have made, it's damn surprising the sox haven't been horrible each year. The sox do have reinforcements coming with some solid minor league players. This will give the sox trade flexibility and the talent to be above average year in and year out. That's the key to winning the AL central.

Getting back to this year, one key is getting Q back to something similar to what he was last year. His timing is way off. The second key is staying healthy.

Immediately after the game, I wanted to agree that the season is over. But, I cooled off and realized that I was overreacting. It's still the same team, and they had a bad road trip...a really bad road trip. Now, getting swept by the Yanks this weekend might close the books. I don't see that happening, though. The Sox could easily spilt the series, and might be able to win it if they get their heads out of their collective asses long enough.

Now, a bright spot was Randy Williams. There's no guarantee that he will continue to pitch like that, but he looked very good last night. Pena also looked sharp, but he's also looked pretty bad. Q hitting the HR was good, but he's got to get on base more often.

And I cannot agree more with the comments about Hawk. What a whiner. The Metrodome had nothing to do with the fact that Kotsay's fly ball went right into a defender's glove. Ever heard of just playing someone right? It was a nice stroke, but it was right at Cuddyer. The same thing would have happened if it was Mauer hitting towards Dye.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 03:40 AM)
^^Just what we need,another old guy^^

What's wrong with old players (or if you want to more cool and hip about it, 'guys'), who produce well and have postseason experience? What was wrong with the two players who had been on this earth a combined 75 years that won game 163 for the Sox last year?

What the hell is wrong with giving a legitimate response with good research backed up with facts and well thought out opinions?

I mean..."omgz, HES OLD, MAYBE HIS SMELL WILL KILL HALF THE TEAM" would have been a better thought out post than that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
And he can help his case by trading some of the higher-paid guys for some prospects and to free up more money.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
Either make a move to actually improve this team, or start selling.

There's no way that Kenny can sell while three games back at the end of July. Remember what happened when Schueler did this 12 years ago? He can try to deal middle-tier free-agents-to-be after the deadline, but he's going to get squat in return.

I'm trying to stay above the doom and gloom, but it's difficult to see this team going anywhere in October. If they don't at least split the series with the Yankees, the combination of that and losing 6 or 7 to the Tigers and Twins will be a confidence-killer.

I Love these threads and all the hyperbole. :lolhitting

Sure...you are done with the team

Sure...you'll never watch them again

Sure...you hate [insert player/announcer]

This same thread happened in September 2005 then everyone came back and loved the team

This same thread happened in last year when we got swept in Minnestoa and everyone came back and loved the team

blah blah blah

I would really love to see someone step up to the plate when tey say they are done with this team and never post again about the team. That will prove that you are done, moved on and focused on something else.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

It's impossible to make up 3 games with ~60 to play. I can totally see why the season is over. They should shut down Floyd and Danks to preserve their arms for next year. I mean, no sense in risking injury when we have no chance of making anything out of the season. We should call up Flowers and Danks too. You know, give them a shot at some playing time. It won't matter if we lose since we have no chance anyways.

If we won last night it would have been different. 2 games we could make up. but not 3. 3 is just too many. In fact, impossible. Season's over. I'm just glad I'm being told now so I can stop paying for the mlb.tv package. Yay for saving money! Thanks guys.