And that's a White Sox season.

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
It's impossible to make up 3 games with ~60 to play. I can totally see why the season is over. They should shut down Floyd and Danks to preserve their arms for next year. I mean, no sense in risking injury when we have no chance of making anything out of the season. We should call up Flowers and Danks too. You know, give them a shot at some playing time. It won't matter if we lose since we have no chance anyways.

If we won last night it would have been different. 2 games we could make up. but not 3. 3 is just too many. In fact, impossible. Season's over. I'm just glad I'm being told now so I can stop paying for the mlb.tv package. Yay for saving money! Thanks guys.

The point isn't being 3 games out. It's being 3 games out while heading into a 4 game series against oe of the best teams in baseball (if not the best). Only to follow it up with one very good team in the Angels.

Meanwhile the Tigers I believe draw Cleveland and Baltimore and I forget who Minnesota gets - the Angels and something I think.

So for us being 3 out - even if we split the next series as someone suggested. The Tigers have a great chance of expanding their lead greatly. We have 7 more games against each Boston and NY. Neither one of the teams were chasing have that. In fact - I don't think the Twins even play the AL East powerhouses anymore.

We have a chance to take care of business when we play each other sure. But as proven this year with our 4-8 record I think against Detroit and 5-7 against Minnesota I think. It's not a safe investment to say "We'll get them then".

It'd be nice to sit here and say we can win. And in all honesty - we can.

The thing is that we are going to "Standpat" at the deadline and the pessimist/logical person inside us realizes we could theorhectically be 7 games out by the weeks end. At which point - selling would've been smart. But no one wants to look at it that way. And the ones who do look at it that way get crucified for it because they want to put their team in a better spot for the future instead of finishing up getting bumped immediately in round 1 of the playoffs or not even making them. Then having nothing to show for it but another season of old over-paid veterans.

I think that is why people think the seasons over. Lucky for us the teams we are chasing arent that good either.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
We're a .500 team at the end of July. We have no chance at winning the Word Series which should be our goal. Build for next year.

The 2006 83-79 St. Louis Cardinals say hi.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
The 2006 83-79 St. Louis Cardinals say hi.

That was a one in a million occurrence. With a defense as bad as ours I can't see how we'd be competitive in the post season. And we make so many bone headed plays that aren't even counted as errors.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
That was a one in a million occurrence. With a defense as bad as ours I can't see how we'd be competitive in the post season. And we make so many bone headed plays that aren't even counted as errors.

Ask any GM...get to the post-season and you never know what could happen.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Ask any GM...get to the post-season and you never know what could happen.

And 7 of those gm's every year are wrong.

Not including the ones who didn't make it after selling their fanbase on that very same logic.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)
agreed. he's not going to rape anyone else's minor leagues with the bait he's got.

That's exactly what everyone who wants KW to sell off players doesn't understand. Unless KW wants to pick up a lot of money, no one is going to give him anything of significance for 2 months of Contreras, Dotel, Thome. He might be able to get something for Dye, but his option goes up $1-2 million if traded, and he's basically a DH. The Sox are far better off keeping these guys and trying to make up 3 games than trading them away and getting 4 or 5 Jeff Marquezes.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)

Not including the ones who didn't make it after selling their fanbase on that very same logic.

Difference of opinion...let's just leave it at that...

Oh wait, I forgot I was on Soxtalk! :ph34r:

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)

Considering their history, there's a decent chance the White Sox won't win a WS before Beckham is eligible to become a FA. Using the "we are doomed" logic, perhaps KW should trade him for prospects. I get very pessimistic, and think a lot of players on the White Sox are overrated, not all that good etc...........but not wanting them to try to win when they are 3 out would make me wonder why I even root for them in the first place. Surely, there has to be something more productive to do with your time than following a team when even when they win, it doesn't make you happy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 03:51 AM)
We're not dead yet. We're getting there, but there's got to be more fight in these guys.

I have to believe in this too no matter how bad ths group can look at times. It ain't over till it's over someone once said. We sure din't have much to be proud of these last road games and I am thinking this home series against the Yanks could go a long ways towards helping us see what this team has ln its heart

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 03:28 AM)
Quentin (4 MVP) has been slow, streaky, and swinging for the fences all year. To top it off, he's been injured for most of the year too. For some reason, you aren't calling for his head.

I think this team is in dire need of a 3Bman to move Beckham back to the middle where he belongs. Rolen sounds about right to me.

He sure has been. The difference is, last year, when he was healthy, he was not. He was consistent, wasn't fast, but wasn't slow, and was hitting a lot of line drives for base hits and doubles. He's also quite a bit younger. Twelve years younger than Thome, eight younger than Dye, six younger than Konerko, and six younger than AJ... He hasn't hit his downward slope, like the others have, and honestly, is just entering his prime years. But thanks for pointing out that Quentin's situation this year is nothing like the others.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 06:19 AM)
Immediately after the game, I wanted to agree that the season is over. But, I cooled off and realized that I was overreacting. It's still the same team, and they had a bad road trip...a really bad road trip. Now, getting swept by the Yanks this weekend might close the books. I don't see that happening, though. The Sox could easily spilt the series, and might be able to win it if they get their heads out of their collective asses long enough.

Now, a bright spot was Randy Williams. There's no guarantee that he will continue to pitch like that, but he looked very good last night. Pena also looked sharp, but he's also looked pretty bad. Q hitting the HR was good, but he's got to get on base more often.

And I cannot agree more with the comments about Hawk. What a whiner. The Metrodome had nothing to do with the fact that Kotsay's fly ball went right into a defender's glove. Ever heard of just playing someone right? It was a nice stroke, but it was right at Cuddyer. The same thing would have happened if it was Mauer hitting towards Dye.

In fact, it is almost guaranteed to be the opposite.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
Considering their history, there's a decent chance the White Sox won't win a WS before Beckham is eligible to become a FA. Using the "we are doomed" logic, perhaps KW should trade him for prospects. I get very pessimistic, and think a lot of players on the White Sox are overrated, not all that good etc...........but not wanting them to try to win when they are 3 out would make me wonder why I even root for them in the first place. Surely, there has to be something more productive to do with your time than following a team when even when they win, it doesn't make you happy.

Ya dealing Beckham makes a ton of sense. He is the 33-36 year old guy who is making 12-15 million and won't be with us for the next 10+ years. You're right - he is what we should trade.

We are 3 games out. It's not the end of the world. Now maybe "I should stop following the team" as you said since I foresee the possibility that we can be 7 games out by the weeks end and it being too late to sell but much like how I should stop - if you are following the team - you'd realize that we haven't really shown we can beat the Twins, Tigers, Yanks and Sox. We have 34 games against them and another division leader in Anahiem. We have a 7 game road trip to the West which always kills us.

I'm all for going for it but past history and our sub-500 record against the AL central, West, East doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
Exactly :gosoxretro:

We have a great shot at it. The matchups are somewhat in our favor.

Floyd is pitching great and can bump Pettitte. Richard>Mitre if he pitches as he has been. Danks against Burnett will be tough but at least we'll stand a chance. Same with MB vs. CC.

Just seeing how theyre like 9-1 and we are 3-7...Not lookin good.

For myself - I know lots of people disagree with selling but I still have confidence in turning it around. Not cuz we are great but because the other teams kinda suck too and we have players who can carry us. I just play the odds and when you see the schedule we have with how poorly we have played - I just prefer taking the safe bet and selling for a change.

If we go for it though - I am all in.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
I Love these threads and all the hyperbole. :lolhitting

Sure...you are done with the team

Sure...you'll never watch them again

Sure...you hate [insert player/announcer]

This same thread happened in September 2005 then everyone came back and loved the team

This same thread happened in last year when we got swept in Minnestoa and everyone came back and loved the team

blah blah blah

I would really love to see someone step up to the plate when tey say they are done with this team and never post again about the team. That will prove that you are done, moved on and focused on something else.

That's hyperbole?

I would really love to see someone step up to the plate when tey say they are done with this team and never post again about the team.

You mean the way you left the site and then came back?

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
We have a great shot at it. The matchups are somewhat in our favor.

Floyd is pitching great and can bump Pettitte. Richard>Mitre if he pitches as he has been. Danks against Burnett will be tough but at least we'll stand a chance. Same with MB vs. CC.

Just seeing how theyre like 9-1 and we are 3-7...Not lookin good.

I think our pitching is better than the Yanks. The only concern I have is Jenks in the 9th. You can beat Rivera once in a blue moon, but Jenks is a concern lately everytime he takes the mound with the game on the line.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
I think our pitching is better than the Yanks. The only concern I have is Jenks in the 9th. You can beat Rivera once in a blue moon, but Jenks is a concern lately everytime he takes the mound with the game on the line.

I think they have a better 1-2, maybe 3 depending on your take of Joba and lucky for us - we are matching up with them with ours so hopefully we can shut them down. The rest of the staff is in our favor.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm all for going for it but past history and our sub-500 record against the AL central, West, East doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

I agree that we probably won't make it and that our roster would be more competitive two years from now if Kenny dealt Dye, Thome, Jenks, and Dotel within the next 24 hours. The problem is that holding another firesale while three games out at the end of July would be the worst business decision that the Sox ever made. It would be White Flag II, and the franchise might never fully recover this time.

Edited by WCSox