And that's a White Sox season.

Jordan4life_2007

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arggh. We knew last year we werent good enough to win it all (especially when CQ went down)

So we were grinning and bearing it dreaming of 2009. So now that we're here i dont want to do that again. Trade some good prospects for a really good bat and keep pursuing this thing.

I just think after the Torii thing, and the managers poll, we now have to acquire top talent via trade instead of FA.

Also fix the defense in the present, or it'll end us. It's still early and we can fix this thing inhouse. I honestly think Pods to DH and Alexei to CF are the instant moves that would help our D the most, even though they'll never do em.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
You know, I'm not jumping off the ledge, but I really hate the 2006 Cardinals for this exact reason. That was very clearly an anomaly, yet still, fans everywhere get deluded into thinking their .500 team could be a World Series contender in disguise and conveniently ignore all the stars that would have to align for this to happen.

At this point of the season in 2003, the Florida Marlins record was 2 games better than the current White Sox record. The goal is to make the playoffs. Anything can happen. The 2005 White Sox had a dominant 11-1 record in the playoffs, however, what if a routine grounder didn't roll through Tony Graffanino's legs, and what if a pretty washed up El Duque didn't somehow avoid giving up runs with the bases loaded and nobody out? The Sox may have been done in round 1. Last year, what if the Sox had their pitching rotation set for the playoffs? Maybe they knock off Tampa who did make it to the World Series. 8 teams make the playoffs, and most of them lose, but giving yourself a chance is a lot better chance than hoping some obscure A ball player will lead you to the promised land in 4 or 5 years.

A lot more stars would have to align for the junk you may be able to get back taking the White Sox old and slow players contracts actually being good enough to help you make the playoffs one day, than for some team to sneak in, get hot and win a few series. You can go 11-8 in the playoffs and still be world champions.

At this point of the season in 2003, the Florida Marlins record was 2 games better than the current White Sox record. The goal is to make the playoffs. Anything can happen. The 2005 White Sox had a dominant 11-1 record in the playoffs, however, what if a routine grounder didn't roll through Tony Graffanino's legs, and what if a pretty washed up El Duque didn't somehow avoid giving up runs with the bases loaded and nobody out? The Sox may have been done in round 1. Last year, what if the Sox had their pitching rotation set for the playoffs? Maybe they knock off Tampa who did make it to the World Series. 8 teams make the playoffs, and most of them lose, but giving yourself a chance is a lot better chance than hoping some obscure A ball player will lead you to the promised land in 4 or 5 years.

A lot more stars would have to align for the junk you may be able to get back taking the White Sox old and slow players contracts actually being good enough to help you make the playoffs one day, than for some team to sneak in, get hot and win a few series. You can go 11-8 in the playoffs and still be world champions.

What a great post.

It's a reminder why if you are only 4 out in the loss column, there's a good argument to keep plodding along trying to win the division. A lot of teams are buried by now. Great post.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)

I'm not talking about throwing away the division or giving up. The 2006 Cardinals were an anomaly, though. That was an otherwise decent team hampered by injuries that got healthy towards the end of the year and had things work out for them. Not a mediocre team that "got hot at the right time." Things like that are flukes and it would be better if people acknowledged that when talking about World Series contention. If you're looking at finishing with wins in the low 80s and barely winning the division, all you have is hope. Which is fine to hold onto as a fan. But at least be real about what it is.

To be fair, this Sox team has been pretty banged up most of the season and it's a realistic possibility that they could begin getting healthy within the next month or so just in time for a September run to get them to the postseason. Maybe a move happens within the next 11 hours that could help this team immensely.

I agree that it's not very likely, but pretty much every World Series winning team has a bullpen that pitches well (the Sox pen has the talent but has pitched like s*** recently), atleast a 1-2-3 of starters who show up and give good (or gutsy) performances, and an offense that can score runs in bunches but also can manufacture a run. I would say that the 2005 season proved that you don't need to manufacture runs, as the Sox relied pretty heavily upon the 3-run homer (or grand slam, if you prefer), but even the last run of the season was manufactured. The other thing World Series teams do is play good defense, and that could very easily be the downfall of this year's White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
According to Keith Law, Alderson's stuff has deteriorated to the point where he thought it was a fair deal.

So you are saying if you were a GM of another team, you would have no problem giving up your top prospects for Thome, Dye, Dotel, Contreras or Jenks?

Do you understand how draft pick compensation works? The team would have to offer the players arbitration to be eligible for the draft picks. If you were the GM that means Thome would be offered at least $11 million, and he would have to turn it down. The White Sox free agents to be are looking at sharp reductions in salary except for maybe Dye, but I don't know if I would want to pay Dye $12 million next year. So the draft pick compensation thing isn't going to work.

I could see the sox signing Dye to a 3 yr deal, in the neighborhood of $21-24 mill. Re-work his deal, like they did with AJ.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:21 AM)
I'm not talking about throwing away the division or giving up. The 2006 Cardinals were an anomaly, though. That was an otherwise decent team hampered by injuries that got healthy towards the end of the year and had things work out for them. Not a mediocre team that "got hot at the right time." Things like that are flukes and it would be better if people acknowledged that when talking about World Series contention. If you're looking at finishing with wins in the low 80s and barely winning the division, all you have is hope. Which is fine to hold onto as a fan. But at least be real about what it is.

Baseball is a game filled with anomalies. That's why the Yankees haven't won despite spending obscene amounts of cash year in and year out.

The sox have the starting pitching and bullpen to compete with just about anyone. It's the offense and the defense that are the big question marks. Even though the sox have been average, they have the talent to be more than that. This team was built around quentin being the #3 hitter, with Dye, PK, Thome and AJ taking a back seat to Q. The 2008 Carlos has been gone all year--the damn MVP of the league if not for the last month. He carried the sox for much of last year. Carlos could still very well get his stroke back and carry this team.

On defense, the sox are bound to improve, as Getz, Alexei and Gordon get more experience [and Pods can't run in on balls to save his life, but that's another story]. But that's part of the learning curve with young guys, living with mistakes on defense and at bat.

Baseball's always been a game of streaks. Who gets hot at the right time, who stays healthy, usually wins and gets into the playoffs. And that's what this game is about--being one of eight teams with a chance to win it all. The sox are in the position of getting on a streak and getting into the playoffs.

More importantly, IMO, is that the sox overall talent level--both in the minors and the majors is definitely on the rise, and in a nice position to be upgraded [with salary coming off the books]. Even look at what the sox could start in the playoffs compared to 2008. The 2009 Sox with Pods, Quentin, Beckham and Getz >>>> than Cabrera, Wise/ Swisher, Griffey/ BA and Uribe.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:24 AM)
I could see the sox signing Dye to a 3 yr deal, in the neighborhood of $21-24 mill. Re-work his deal, like they did with AJ.

Thats what I was picturing. 3 years about 21mil. Thatd be a steal for his production.

I'd really love to pull that off - land a crawford or something, shift CQ to right and go for it. If CQ gets hurt (or when he does) you slide Dye out to Rf and call up flowers or fields to DH.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:24 AM)

I agree. One of Dye or Thome should get a new deal, and I'm in favor of the former. Move JD to DH, move Quentin to RF, and find a cheap FA fit for LF.

I definitely see KW making a hard push this offseason for Carl Crawford. Rays top prospect Desmond Jennings is practically MLB ready and they need to open up a spot for him, and Crawford is a FA at the end of next year. Crawford sure would look good in LF and in the 2 hole.