White Sox Interested in Trading Fields for Pie

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Prior to BA being sent down, give me on single source out there in the news that said BA was complaining about his role (and no SoxTalk is not an official source). You're right, in the end it doesn't matter because neither one of them could hack it. Yet, BA clearly had more upside. He was better in every statistical category, except for SBs. Not tom mention Wise is OLD. All I want is a little accountablility towards the front office and Ozzie for making this obvious terrible decision.

I do respect that Wise gives his all, there's no taking that away, but don't tell me BA didn't want to be here prior to being sent down... or that he didn't give it his all either.

On the first note...I can't, so I'll back away from that comment.

On the second note...I believe Ozzie pretty much said that Wise was giving his all for the White Sox while BA was giving his all for whatever team he was going to be traded to. Maybe not in those words, but pretty much that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
On the first note...I can't, so I'll back away from that comment.

On the second note...I believe Ozzie pretty much said that Wise was giving his all for the White Sox while BA was giving his all for whatever team he was going to be traded to. Maybe not in those words, but pretty much that.

He didn't question BA's effort. BA probably knew he wasn't long for the organization while Wise figures when the White Sox say good bye, he's looking at perhaps never seeing the major leagues again. He's hitting .150 his last 133 AB. He has 2 SB this year and been caught 3 times. I really don't see what Dewayne Wise brings to a team other than outs.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)

Cowley said that, not Ozzie. Cowley said something like, "One of them is playing hard just to be here and the other one is playing hard to be somewhere else and the organization can see that." Personally, I think Cowley is full of s***, at least most of the time.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
Cowley said that, not Ozzie. Cowley said something like, "One of them is playing hard just to be here and the other one is playing hard to be somewhere else and the organization can see that." Personally, I think Cowley is full of s***, at least most of the time.

Cowley also said BA wouldn't be traded because no one would take him. BA must have stolen one of Cowley's honeys on a roadtrip.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Pie is Owens on crack. He's much faster and a lot more power. If he could ever figure it out, he'd be a hell of a player.

It's the "What If" factor that keeps Pie around. Teams keep waiting for him to figure it out, but in the meantime he's an ongoing disappointment. I'd rather keep Fields.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
It's the "What If" factor that keeps Pie around. Teams keep waiting for him to figure it out, but in the meantime he's an ongoing disappointment. I'd rather keep Fields.

agreed, Fields is a lot more likely to figure it out than Pie is.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)

Fields' ultimate potential is a lot higher then that of Felix Pie. Although they are radically different players.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Fields' ultimate potential is a lot higher then that of Felix Pie. Although they are radically different players.

When both were at there prime prospect status Pie was widely considered the better prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
When both were at there prime prospect status Pie was widely considered the better prospect.

It’s a rough distinction. Pie’s speed is off the charts, he has good D, and a fair bit of pop for a player of his skillset. However, Fields power potential has always been extraordinary. Given positional value, Pie might actually take this one. However, one has a slightly better track record (Fields) at the major league level then the other.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
Ao anyone who can steal a base can be consider major league quality? I question if Wise is even an AAAA player.

You sure overrate stolen bases.

I didn't make the decision to keep Wise over BA. That was Kenny and Ozzie. I'm just relaying what Cowley reported on 670 after the move. BTW, where are you getting this "anyone who can steal a base is major league quality" stuff?