Ozzie pissed at Colon

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1731743.story

Chicago White Sox manager upset with Bartolo Colon

Ozzie Guillen says elbow injury shouldn't have been a surprise revelation

July 30, 2009

MINNEAPOLIS -- Bartolo Colon's swollen right elbow came as an unpleasant surprise to White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

"I was upset because our trainers didn't even know anything about the situation," Guillen said Wednesday after learning Tuesday night that Colon couldn't start the series finale at Minnesota and would be placed on the 15-day disabled list. "When we got the news, I talked to [trainer] Hermie Schneider about it. He didn't have anything about it. I had the [trainer's report] and I don't see anything with Colon, and all of a sudden he couldn't [pitch].

"[General manager] Ken Williams wasn't too happy. ... I think [Colon] handled it the wrong way. You feel something, you should tell the trainers where you're at."

Guillen said he found out Colon couldn't pitch through bench coach Joey Cora. Guillen then approached Schneider, who said Colon didn't express any discomfort to him.

Before batting practice, Colon played dominoes with Alexei Ramirez, Jose Contreras, Octavio Dotel and Tony Pena.

Colon's injury could have been caused by the high number of breaking pitches he threw against Detroit in his first big-league start in nearly two months after recovering from swelling in his left knee.

Left-hander Clayton Richard will be reinstated in the rotation.

I like how KW complains about salary restraints but has no problem blowing an easy million on Colon... and i don't want to hear it was a relatively cheap risk w/ a high possible return... anybody that saw how much he weighed should know he was an injury waiting to happen, esp. with his past. This front office is having a rough year.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
I like how KW complains about salary restraints but has no problem blowing an easy million on Colon... and i don't want to hear it was a relatively cheap risk w/ a high possible return... anybody that saw how much he weighed should know he was an injury waiting to happen, esp. with his past. This front office is having a rough year.

Well I'm gonna say it, because it's true.

It was a low risk move that had potential to pay off for us. And for a fifth starter, we could have had worse.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)

A million dollars is two minor leaguers. It is nothing.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)

It was a low risk move that had potential to pay off for us. And for a fifth starter, we could have had worse.

How true. I agree, could have had worse and have had worse.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)

Exactly. Just compare it to the money that Epstein is paying Smoltz - 5 to 10 times as much, depending on the incentives he meets - for much greater suckage. Brad Penny too, for that matter.

Yet the world still bends over to lick Theo's butt crack. Don't get me wrong, he's a great GM, but so many on here seem to want to believe that KW is the only one who ever makes a mistake, which I'm not even sure that Fatolo is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
I'm sorry, between "Ozzie pissed at Colon" and "Maybe they will dump him now" I'm still enough of a 12 year old boy to snicker.

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out, and then I laughed out loud.

And yes, this sounds like the end of Colon in a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)

I realize it was a low risk move, but it was an obvious low reward move... They should have known he was going to be awful by simply looking at what kind of shape he was in and the velocity on his fastball. Instead of trying to fill the rotation internally, it took them a waste of $1m to consider putting the younger, and in much better shape Clayton Richard. Now they've sunk even more money into Freddy Garcia who will not pitch for the Sox this year either. This amount of $ starts to add up, and whether it is $1.5 or $2 million, it is a lot, even though those of us who don't manage a payroll think it isn't. Maybe an extra $2 million would have been better used pursuing other players like Orlando Hudson at the beginning of the year, and we wouldn't have had to deal with this lead-off garbage to begin with.

Edited by Special K

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
I realize it was a low risk move, but it was an obvious low reward move... They should have known he was going to be awful by simply looking at what kind of shape he was in and the velocity on his fastball. Instead of trying to fill the rotation internally, it took them a waste of $1m to consider putting the younger, and in much better shape Clayton Richard. Now they've sunk even more money into Freddy Garcia who will not pitch for the Sox this year either. This amount of $ starts to add up, and whether it is $1.5 or $2 million, it is a lot, even though those of us who don't manage a payroll think it isn't. Maybe an extra $2 million would have been better used pursuing other players like Orlando Hudson at the beginning of the year, and we wouldn't have had to deal with this lead-off garbage to begin with.

Two million dollars doesn't get us Hudson, heck it probably doesn't even pay for a half of the season....

http://www.insidesocal.com/dodgers/2009/02...act-detail.html

$380,000 signing bonus, deferred without interest to a time not designated

$3 million base salary for 2009

$150,000 each for 150 and 175 plate appearances

$200,000 each for 200, 225, 250, 275 and 300 plate appearances

$250,000 each for 325, 350, 375, 400, 425, 450, 475, 500, 525, 550, 575 PAs

and then, there is this:

$10,000 for EVERY plate appearance from PA #576 through PA #632. That's 57 PAs for total of $570,000.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)

Methinks someone's complaining for the sake of complaining...

I find it fascinating that you think the Sox should have known he'd suck (which he actually hasn't too badly considering he is the 5th starter) after he performed decent in the few starts he made at the end of last year.

And being in shape has nothing to do with it. In fact, claiming Richard would be better because he was "younger and in much better shape" is funny. Pitchers don't have to be in perfect shape. Look at many closers, Sabathia, and Wells for example.

Very few people were up in arms about this at the start of the year, but hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Methinks someone's complaining for the sake of complaining...

I find it fascinating that you think the Sox should have known he'd suck (which he actually hasn't too badly considering he is the 5th starter) after he performed decent in the few starts he made at the end of last year.

And being in shape has nothing to do with it. In fact, claiming Richard would be better because he was "younger and in much better shape" is funny. Pitchers don't have to be in perfect shape. Look at many closers, Sabathia, and Wells for example.

Very few people were up in arms about this at the start of the year, but hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?

In the past 4 years Colon has thrown roughly 250 innings, that's the equivalent of a little over 1 season. That's the kind of shape I am referring to when considering signing a guy. And pitchers who look like Colon is not the norm in baseball, that is why people do make a big deal about guys like Wells (whose own career was cut short thanks to his weight) and Sabathia. But weight isn't even the issue, I'm just making the point that sinking money into rehab projects like Colon and Garcia is a waste of $ and should not be done if your GM is going to spend that kind of money on those guys and then cry about salary restraints.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
In the past 4 years Colon has thrown roughly 250 innings, that's the equivalent of a little over 1 season. That's the kind of shape I am referring to when considering signing a guy. And pitchers who look like Colon is not the norm in baseball, that is why people do make a big deal about guys like Wells (whose own career was cut short thanks to his weight) and Sabathia. But weight isn't even the issue, I'm just making the point that sinking money into rehab projects like Colon and Garcia is a waste of $ and should not be done if your GM is going to spend that kind of money on those guys and then cry about salary restraints.

David Wells pitched for 20 years. I would hardly call his career shortened by his weight problem.