7/30 Games

maggsmaggs

Viciedo with a nice 3/5 night with a bomb & a double. And since joining B-ham, Hudson's ERA is 1.79. The most runs he's given up in a start is 5 in a ND against Mobile. The most hits in an outing is 7, also against Mobile & Mississippi. Man, I hope that injury isn't too serious. Because he has been locked in this entire year.

And his WHIP coming into tonight's game for the year: 0.90. Very very nice.

Edited by CSF

Seems like it was a precautionary if anything.

I love the fact opposing hitters are batting .193 against him. Is he the best pitching prospect we've had since Kris Honel (before his arm fell off)?

Also, nice to see Viciedo tearing the cover off of the ball.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
Seems like it was a precautionary if anything.

I love the fact opposing hitters are batting .193 against him. Is he the best pitching prospect we've had since Kris Honel (before his arm fell off)?

Also, nice to see Viciedo tearing the cover off of the ball.

Brandon McCarthy was 10 times the pitching prospect Honel was.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:23 AM)
I thought Honel had a ton of buzz around him before his arm problems started to occur? Oh well, Hudson is the GOAT :)

D. Carter will surpass all soon, though it might take another year, but don't worry its commin. :)

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Once the Sox officially fall out of this thing, Contreras should be released, and Hudson should come up. It won't happen, but that's what should happen.

Contreras is still useful. No need to rush Hudson. We have a decent core of young players. The 2010 White Sox should be a really good team if Kenny is average this offseason. Full year with Beckham, maybe Getz improves, Richard with more experience and confidence, Quentin healthy. A lot of reasons to think the team gets better next year. Rushing Hudson shouldn't be in the cards unless he dominates in spring training.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Next year:

1) Mark

2) Gavin

3) Danks

4) Richard

5) Hudson/Poreda/Trade/FA competition

That's extremely exciting. Hudson probably won't be up until late in the year or an injury, but that rotation is very encouraging.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)
Brandon McCarthy was 10 times the pitching prospect Honel was.

He was a better prospect, but that's quite the exaggeration.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
Hudson's numbers are better than McCarthy's and Honel's were.

(AA) 1.76 era, 56 strikeouts in 50 innings, .85 whip, only 1 HR given up. I can't wait to see him pitch in the majors.

His ERA is lower, but his K/BB is not as good as McCarthy. They are putting up fairly similar lines. Hudson may be a better prospect because his pitches have more movement.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
Once the Sox officially fall out of this thing, Contreras should be released, and Hudson should come up. It won't happen, but that's what should happen.

Why? Contreras has been solid since returning from Charlotte. There is absolutely no reason to flat out release the guy the way he's pitching right now. Not to mention that would be an absolute slap in the face to a guy who has done great things here and been nothing but class his entire time with the team. Releasing him is NOT what should happen. Heck, if at the end of August we're out of it and someone for some reason offers a decent prospect for him (possilbe 5th starter, 4th OF, backup catcher type prospect) I'm fine trading him. No reason to just flat out release him. Not to mention if we're out of it in September I'd like him here in case we call up Viciedo to get a taste of the majors. Just make it a little easier for him for his first cup of coffee.

As for Hudson, wow. I don't usually do this, especially with pitchers, but I'm really wondering if maybe Hudson is ready if we need a spot starter sometime later this year. I don't want to call him up for the sake of doing it in September just to save his arm, but if we have a DH later on all of a sudden I could see him being a viable option.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
Hudson may be a better prospect because his pitches have more movement.

Which is encouraging. Besides the injuries, that was the one problem with BMac, absolutely no movement on his fastball.

Just awesome to look at these box scores right now. Huddy is just insane and Viciedo is starting to do what we were all expecting. The future of this team is just so f***in bright, it's a thing of beauty.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
Which is encouraging. Besides the injuries, that was the one problem with BMac, absolutely no movement on his fastball.

IIRC, BMac had a much higher HR allowed rate.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)
Contreras is still useful. No need to rush Hudson. We have a decent core of young players. The 2010 White Sox should be a really good team if Kenny is average this offseason. Full year with Beckham, maybe Getz improves, Richard with more experience and confidence, Quentin healthy. A lot of reasons to think the team gets better next year. Rushing Hudson shouldn't be in the cards unless he dominates in spring training.

That's extremely exciting. Hudson probably won't be up until late in the year or an injury, but that rotation is very encouraging.

He was a better prospect, but that's quite the exaggeration.

Honel never produced outside of A-ball. McCarthy put up Minor League player of the year numbers while cruising through a ton of stops and had a ton of success early in his major league career. Injuries have really been McCarthy's only problem (albeit its a big problem).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:34 AM)
Honel never produced outside of A-ball. McCarthy put up Minor League player of the year numbers while cruising through a ton of stops and had a ton of success early in his major league career. Injuries have really been McCarthy's only problem (albeit its a big problem).

Honel pre-2004 injury was a damn good prospect. BA had him at 55 in all of baseball. BMac only made 4 starts in AA at the same age (20) Honel had a solid year in Winston-Salem right before his injury in '04. Yes, BMac was a better prospect, but injuries aside (which was Honel's obvious problem) the difference wasn't massive.