Dome on life support?

http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=35430

I have no credible links to any official release, and harbor doubts as to the validity of this tidbit. I don't subscribe to Bobby Wade's twitter (or any twitter for that matter) but I guess there is a rumor going around (stemming from an alleged Wade tweet or blog post) that the Twins want to utilize the Dome for select discounted "Throwback" series in 2010 and perhaps beyond. I can't see this as being legit, especially given the timing (Sox recent s***show and subsequent b****ing about the Dome). With a new ballpark opening next year, wouldn't you want to milk that sucka till the last drop in it's inaugural season? Only way I can see the Twins in the Dome next year is if the new park isn't quite good to go in the first few (cold) weeks of the season. To use it (Dome) periodically throughout the summer? Can't see it.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=35430

I have no credible links to any official release, and harbor doubts as to the validity of this tidbit. I don't subscribe to Bobby Wade's twitter (or any twitter for that matter) but I guess there is a rumor going around (stemming from an alleged Wade tweet or blog post) that the Twins want to utilize the Dome for select discounted "Throwback" series in 2010 and perhaps beyond. I can't see this as being legit, especially given the timing (Sox recent s***show and subsequent b****ing about the Dome). With a new ballpark opening next year, wouldn't you want to milk that sucka till the last drop in it's inaugural season? Only way I can see the Twins in the Dome next year is if the new park isn't quite good to go in the first few (cold) weeks of the season. To use it throughout the summer? Can't see it.

It's a great idea. There will be 78 games at the new park, and the 3 games at the dome will probably get high attendance just due to the novelty of the idea. Of course all 3 games will be vs the white sox no doubt.

*If* this has any truth to it, I can't see how MLB wouldn't be behind the decision as to which series would be played in the Dome. Again, with a brand new stadium on the way wouldn't you want to maximize it's use? I would think a Twins/Sox series draws fans up in Minnesota. Why offer those games at discounted rates when you could probably get just as many to come out to the new place for full price?

I'm not going to look into it this late at night, but I'm sure there have been teams that have moved into new parks in the past while their former homes continued to stand. Detroit comes to mind. The only reasonable excuse for the Twins to play in the Dome in 2010 is the afore-mentioned new park not being ready, or a balmy Minnesota April. Make it past that, and I can't see the Twins simply being able to pick and choose between two ballparks. At the most, and this is still stretching it, perhaps interleague series are played in the Dome. The more I think about it, I can't see baseball allowing AL and especially AL Central games in Minnesota to be played in a venue other than the actual home stadium. Hell, the Astros threw a fit when they had to face the Cubs in Miller Park because of a hurricane, and that was a neutral (sort of, not really) field.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I think this 100% rumor. For 2 years now, the Twins have been pushing hard for people to buy tickets for the new stadium, there would be considerable backlash if someone showed up to a game and a sign at the door says 'Go to Metrodome'. First of all..is it a real Bobby Wade twitter account? and I think whoever it is, is just stirring the pot of Chicago fans

I was in Minneapolis for the first 2 games of this week's series. Considering all the pub they are giving the new place, and it does look like it will be spectacular, I cannot see them using the Metrodome at all unless there is a snowstorm that would knock out a week of games. I think this is BS. Besides, if the Twins only play a few games there a year, they won't have as big of an advantage.

No f***ing way. They will be proud of the new stadium. They aren't going to play us in the dome just to kick one team's ass.

I still can't believe what pussies we are in that place. The Angels and Yankees kick some major butt in the dome.