Tigers get Washburn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tigers needed to get him, because Porcello is fading and Galaraga can't be counted on. Their rotation isn't as good as ours depth wise, thus the need to move on Washburn.

What we need is to get someone to play CF not named Kotsay or Wise. I'd be all in favor of that kind of move.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Why is Seattle selling??? Hope they got something good.

They are 8 out. It's been a nice season for them, but they aren't making the playoffs. Bedard being injured all the time helped doom them, Morrow hasn't developed as fast as they wanted either...But Aardsma has been a find in the closers role and Washburn has been virtually unhittable for much of this year.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Looks like it's for Luke French (who?) and another prospect

French doesn't even appear in their BA top 10 prospects list

Pretty sure French has been up for a while...Not a bad lookin 5 starter. Big lefty. Had decent stuff. I caught a minor glimpse of him a couple weeks ago against the Yankees. Not bad.

Other guy - no clue.

No more value then a Richard I'd assume.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Wonder if Seattle would deal Ichiro....

Now you're talking. Ichiro would solve SO MANY problems on SO MANY levels for this team...defense, speed, GREAT hitter. He's getting up there in years, but for the next year or two he'd be terrific in our outfield. Him hitting in front of Gordo and Quentin would make our order interesting.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Looks like it's for Luke French (who?) and another prospect

French doesn't even appear in their BA top 10 prospects list

I had him in fantasy baseball when he was a two start guy. He did ok. He has been up for a few weeks.

Seemed like a lot ot give up although Washburn could be a Type A free agent and has been doing well.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
They are 8 out. It's been a nice season for them, but they aren't making the playoffs. Bedard being injured all the time helped doom them, Morrow hasn't developed as fast as they wanted either...But Aardsma has been a find in the closers role and Washburn has been virtually unhittable for much of this year.

We know the reasons why Seattle is selling. I don't think that's the weird part. The weird part is that they also gave up good pieces to get a SS from the Pirates. So they're both selling and buying.

That is a big time pick-up for the Tigers. There rotation, aside from the top two starters was faltering and I really felt that the Sox or Twins were going to pass them. Washburn, as much as I think he's a mediocre starter, has been very good this year and will be really nice to put into the Tiger rotation.

Plus, his fly ball stuff should translate well in Comerica (just as it did in Safeco).

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
It should...but that doesn't mean it WILL.

Why won't it help their rotation? Washburn has been brilliant this year (WHIP of 1.07, 2 something era) in large part due to adding a sinker to his game.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Why won't it help their rotation? Washburn has been brilliant this year (WHIP of 1.07, 2 something era) in large part due to adding a sinker to his game.

Because maybe he gets hurt? Maybe he doesn't click with Detroit's pitching coach? Maybe he doesn't like pitching in Comerica? Maybe he didn't want to get traded? Maybe he goes into a funk? Or maybe, it's biz as usual and he continues to pitch lights out. Like I said, it SHOULD help their rotation, if he continues to pitch the way he has recently...but as we've seen with many pitchers, that doesn't mean it will.