Tigers get Washburn

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Because maybe he gets hurt? Maybe he doesn't click with Detroit's pitching coach? Maybe he doesn't like pitching in Comerica? Maybe he didn't want to get traded? Maybe he goes into a funk? Or maybe, it's biz as usual and he continues to pitch lights out. Like I said, it SHOULD help their rotation, if he continues to pitch the way he has recently...but as we've seen with many pitchers, that doesn't mean it will.

Ahh I get it, or maybe he becomes a monk and goes off to mission in the dessert and quits baseball.

Given the choice between Washburn and Galaraga/Porcello in the three spot in that rotation a guy who is pitching the way he's been pitching this year is a vast upgrade.

We have to believe he'll pitch pretty much like he's been pitching this year...that's the safest prognostication. Sure, your hypotheticals could play out, but I'd wager on different results.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Ahh I get it, or maybe he becomes a monk and goes off to mission in the dessert and quits baseball.

Given the choice between Washburn and Galaraga/Porcello in the three spot in that rotation a guy who is pitching the way he's been pitching this year is a vast upgrade.

We have to believe he'll pitch pretty much like he's been pitching this year...that's the safest prognostication. Sure, your hypotheticals could play out, but I'd wager on different results.

Nice. Thanks for the friendly discussion.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
That is a big time pick-up for the Tigers. There rotation, aside from the top two starters was faltering and I really felt that the Sox or Twins were going to pass them. Washburn, as much as I think he's a mediocre starter, has been very good this year and will be really nice to put into the Tiger rotation.

Plus, his fly ball stuff should translate well in Comerica (just as it did in Safeco).

I agree - difference maker. Clearly the favorite to win the division and it should also help them in the playoffs - Verlander, Jackson, Washburn - that's a nice rotation in the short series.

I hate the Tigers but I tip my cap, great trade.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
Rosenthal says Detroit is looking into a Luke Scott deal as well. That would be another solid addition if they could swing that deal.

If they get Scott as well, and we just stand pat, might as well just hand them the division, IMO.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
If they get Scott as well, and we just stand pat, might as well just hand them the division, IMO.

Yes, because all the name players a team can get dictates who wins the division each year....

They can continue to stockpile older players and trade away all their young guys as much as they want IMO. The Sox are competing just fine now with our mix and we are poised to really have a nice young core in the near future.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Yes, because all the name players a team can get dictates who wins the division each year....

They can continue to stockpile older players and trade away all their young guys as much as they want IMO. The Sox are competing just fine now with our mix and we are poised to really have a nice young core in the near future.

Competing just fine? This team has been the most bi-polar I've seen in a while. We've had really good starting pitching for most of the year, but our offense has been beyond streaky, and our bullpen is almost as streaky as the offense. I'm sorry, but this current team as is won't win the division if the Tigers keep improving like they have.

That offense gets a whole lot better with Scott and a healthy Guillen in it.

I actually like this deal for the Mariners, I feel like Washburn will come back down to earth, and the Tigers really dont have much pitching left in their minor leagues. Luke French looked decent but Robles looks pretty good so far. Now the question will be if the Tigers offer Washburn arbitration and if he accepts? It will be close to 1 year 10 million. It will be interesting to see. I figure he could get a better deal somewhere else though.

Washburn should perform better than Porcello. Yet I think both Washburn and Edwin Jackson are due for a letdown. Verlander is still the only one the Tigers can truly count on. An upgrade for the Tigers. Yet I have a hard time seeing Washburn keep up his numbers. And this hurts the Tigers in the future. They didn't have much in the minors as it was. This further depletes them.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
Washburn should perform better than Porcello. Yet I think both Washburn and Edwin Jackson are due for a letdown. Verlander is still the only one the Tigers can truly count on. An upgrade for the Tigers. Yet I have a hard time seeing Washburn keep up his numbers. And this hurts the Tigers in the future. They didn't have much in the minors as it was. This further depletes them.

Agree...I think the Tigers see their window closing and want to try to cash in this year. I don't see them as a World Series contender at all, but they could very easily win this division and get into the playoffs where they would at least have a chance.

I thought Washburn was due for a correction about two months ago. And yet here he is 3rd in the AL in ERA. This is obviously a fluke year for him. But that doesn't matter as long as he can keep it up another couple months. And I see no reason why he won't.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
How is Comerica not a pitcher's park as well?
Safeco is 16th in baseball with 0.980 runs allowed (1 being the average). Amazingly, Comerica is 14th, with 1.025 runs allowed, ahead of Safeco and even US Cellular somehow. Link.

Also, Seattle apparently has a very good defensive outfield, which Detroit does not. That will hurt Washburn as well.

Edited by almagest