Twins land O-Cab.

League

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Thats what I dont get, how is he an upgrade? He is a downgrade defensively and offensively he is about the same as the guy he is replacing. Frankly, if this means less of Nick Punto, I see this as a win for the White Sox.

Punto (along with Gomez and other crappy Twin players) is tough against us, but for the rest of the league, he sucks. Having him play less is only a positive for the Twins.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Its funny, I keep having this illogical reaction to these deals, where I want KW to do something.

Then I realize, I am not sure what the team could even use at this point.

Therefore, I'd like him to go big (Peavy-level big), or stand pat.

We could realistically add an Of'er (maybe) a SP, and a 2B. A bullpen arm could help if it was a top tier lefty.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Punto (along with Gomez and other crappy Twin players) is tough against us, but for the rest of the league, he sucks. Having him play less is only a positive for the Twins.

But you also have to realize that having O-Cab at short is a positive for the White Sox as well considering how much he has declined. Offensively he had to go on a tear this month to even get his numbers up to Harris's level.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Thats what I dont get, how is he an upgrade? He is a downgrade defensively and offensively he is about the same as the guy he is replacing. Frankly, if this means less of Nick Punto, I see this as a win for the White Sox.

Punto sucks. Casilla sucks. The're HOFers against the Sox but are terrible against everyone else.

Edited by Dick Allen

OC was money for us down the stretch, while most of our guys s*** their pants once Quentin went down. He made some stupid decisions (he just doesn't seem that bright to me), but honestly, he was really just trying to jump start us from the usual HR or nothing GIDP ball we fall into way too often

His D was very disappointing though

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
We could realistically add an Of'er (maybe) a SP, and a 2B. A bullpen arm could help if it was a top tier lefty.

Any OF or SP to replace what we have needs to be pretty high end though, otherwise it isn't worth it. Same with 2B. And I see no need at all for a top tier lefty reliever.

The ideal candidate, if there is one, is a highly regarded SP or OF that is just on the cusp of coming up to the majors. Someone who could jump up if TCQ or Contreras breaks down, but who we wouldn't screw up by keeping in AAA the rest of the season.

That's a narrow focus, though.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
My new thread idea "If O-Cab had accepted arbitration...."

Yea, we'd be better. Getz out, him in. Better on defense and offense, b/c i'd move AR back to 2b.

I guess you haven't seen him play defense yet this year.

Plus, his bat has just gotten better in the past month. He was one of the worst players in baseball until June.

Yea, we'd be better. Getz out, him in. Better on defense and offense, b/c i'd move AR back to 2b.

That would be about $9 million KW would have had to cut from somewhere. The Sox did cartwheels and breathed a sigh of relief when Cabrera cost himself millions and rejected arb.

He's been horrible at SS this year, and Alexei was terrible at 2B last year.

Getz has been below average at second this year (-4.1 UZR, -6.2 UZR/150, -2.9 RngR), but he's got much better UZR rating across the board than Alexei did at 2b last year (-8.3 UZR, -10.6 UZR/150, -6.9 RngR), and 'Lexi is on the positive side of UZR(2.8), UZR/150(4.2) and RngR(4.3) at SS this season.

QUOTE (League @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)

Getz has been below average at second this year (-4.1 UZR, -6.2 UZR/150, -2.9 RngR), but he's got much better UZR rating across the board than Alexei did at 2b last year (-8.3 UZR, -10.6 UZR/150, -6.9 RngR), and 'Lexi is on the positive side of UZR(2.8), UZR/150(4.2) and RngR(4.3) at SS this season.

Alexei was great at 2B last year, and no numbers can tell me differently.

QUOTE (League @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)

Don't tell this to people who hate Alexei Ramirez's defense and UZR.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
Wasn't the UZR that had Alfonso Soriano as one of the finest defensive LF in baseball last season?

That was 2007. He was barely above average last year. This year though, he's been atrocious.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
That was 2007. He was barely above average last year. This year though, he's been atrocious.

Any rating system that had Soriano ranked high and above average, when even the Cubs announcers say there are a few thousand people in the stands that are probably better with the glove than him, needs a little tweaking.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Any rating system that had Soriano ranked high and above average, when even the Cubs announcers say there are a few thousand people in the stands that are probably better with the glove than him, needs a little tweaking.

Soriano's got a good arm and I guess his range is a little better than what we give him credit for. To the naked eye, he sucks. But sabermetrics almost go completely against that.

But then again, isn't UZR the thing that told how great of a fielder Dewayne Wise is?