Twins land O-Cab.

League

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
Apparently, when teh Twins were in Oakland the other week, Morneau and Mauer were chatting it up with O-Cab, saying they want him on the Twins...fwiw

Im pretty 'meh' on the deal. his numbers are a duplicate of Brendan Harris

Basically what I was thinking.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
Apparently, when teh Twins were in Oakland the other week, Morneau and Mauer were chatting it up with O-Cab, saying they want him on the Twins...fwiw

Im pretty 'meh' on the deal. his numbers are a duplicate of Brendan Harris

Yep. This isn't really an upgrade, but at least it's a move that makes them look like they care (meaning it will likely make Mauer happy). OCab isn't particularly good (in fact he's been pretty bad this year), but he has the name and reputation to keep their golden boy happy.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Yep. This isn't really an upgrade, but at least it's a move that makes them look like they care (meaning it will likely make Mauer happy). OCab isn't particularly good (in fact he's been pretty bad this year), but he has the name and reputation to keep their golden boy happy.

Nick Punto has played 75 games this year and is hitting .208. If you don't think its an upgrade, I think you need your eyes examined.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Nick Punto has played 75 games this year and is hitting .208. If you don't think its an upgrade, I think you need your eyes examined.

Cabrera has had one hell of a July (.373/.400/.500/.900). Before that you couldn't really tell the difference between the two.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)

Punto also has the same OBP as Cabrera and has better defense. There's an obvious difference in slugging (100+ points this year), but Punto has been epically bad even by his standards in SLG this season (SLG is 70 points lower than his career average, 130 points lower than his last season). Going forward, I don't think there's a massive difference between the two, when you look at everything involved.

Of course, if Punto continues this and finishes the year like he did in 2007, then OCab is an easy and obvious upgrade.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
Punto also has the same OBP as Cabrera and has better defense. There's an obvious difference in slugging (100+ points this year), but Punto has been epically bad even by his standards in SLG this season (SLG is 70 points lower than his career average, 130 points lower than his last season). Going forward, I don't think there's a massive difference between the two, when you look at everything involved.

Of course, if Punto continues this and finishes the year like he did in 2007, then OCab is an easy and obvious upgrade.

According to MLB network, Cabrera's fielding stats should improve significantly with Morneau at firstbase.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
According to MLB network, Cabrera's fielding stats should improve significantly with Morneau at firstbase.

I didn't know the first baseman had something to do with the shortstop's range shrinking with age.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
I didn't know the first baseman had something to do with the shortstop's range shrinking with age.
Even as a Whitesox fan I can't help admiring Gardenhire's tactics as the pyranna's manager. I when watching OC last year I couldn't help thinking that OC and Ozzie weren't always on the same wavelength on what Ozzie wanted deffeensively and offensively and what Oc actually did. Sometimes I think Orlando did his thing. I think that Gardenhire will have trouble tolerating this type of behavior. Just for the fact that the Twins have made it so many years with a manager that knows how to manipulate the players he commands.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)

Morneau is just that awesome.

I have a hard time seeing how this makes the Twins better and I can see several ways this makes them worse. No complaints here!