Red Sox land Vmart

League

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Ellsbury

Pedroia

Youkilis

Bay

Martinez

Ortiz

Lowell

Drew

Lowrie/Green

Not fun for opposing pitchers.

Their offense is vastly improved, no doubt. They still have serious issues with their starting pitching, IMO, despite all the BS talk of their so-called depth.

They've got TWO legit starters right now, Beckett and Lester, and Lester isn't as good as advertised. Neither is Buccholz, who if it wasn't for his no-hitter, wouldn't be considered half the prospect that he is. He's no baby - he'll be 25 next week.

Dice-K, Smoltz, Penny, etc. have given them nothing, and quite frankly, I think Dice-K was doing it with mirrors when he had success previously. The guy is the living definition of a nibbler. Wakefield is 42 with a bad back - who knows if he'll return to form?

I actually have a small bit of concern that the idiots on ESPN actually help the PED Sox org. by constantly overrating them and their 'spects. All we heard in ST was how good Smoltz was going to be when he returned, for instance.

BTW, we have 8 games with them not 7. This year, for some reason, we seem to play better against the better teams. Hopefully, that continues.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Their offense is vastly improved, no doubt. They still have serious issues with their starting pitching, IMO, despite all the BS talk of their so-called depth.

They've got TWO legit starters right now, Beckett and Lester, and Lester isn't as good as advertised. Neither is Buccholz, who if it wasn't for his no-hitter, wouldn't be considered half the prospect that he is. He's no baby - he'll be 25 next week.

Dice-K, Smoltz, Penny, etc. have given them nothing, and quite frankly, I think Dice-K was doing it with mirrors when he had success previously. The guy is the living definition of a nibbler. Wakefield is 42 with a bad back - who knows if he'll return to form?

I actually have a small bit of concern that the idiots on ESPN actually help the PED Sox org. by constantly overrating them and their 'spects. All we heard in ST was how good Smoltz was going to be when he returned, for instance.

BTW, we have 8 games with them not 7. This year, for some reason, we seem to play better against the better teams. Hopefully, that continues.

Good points. I disagree on Lester. I think he's pretty damn good. The depth of quality SP they appeared to have going into the season has not come through to this point. However, other than maybe Tampa, I don't see anybody that can challenge them for the WC (assuming the Yankees win the East). And with Beckett (arguably the best postseason pitcher of this era), Lester, their bullpen and offense, they'd have as good a chance as anyone to win it all.

The Indians got 2 good pitching prospects for what is basically a designated hitter. I will admit Martinez is a VERY GOOD hitter, but he doesn't bring anything else to the table. I think the Indians maybe could have done better, but I don't think they got taken that bad either...Masterson is pretty close to being ready. Not sure about the other kid, but he's a very nice prospect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
Good points. I disagree on Lester. I think he's pretty damn good. The depth of quality SP they appeared to have going into the season has not come through to this point. However, other than maybe Tampa, I don't see anybody that can challenge them for the WC (assuming the Yankees win the East). And with Beckett (arguably the best postseason pitcher of this era), Lester, their bullpen and offense, they'd have as good a chance as anyone to win it all.

Texas is only 1 and a half games behind, though I know they're pretty banged up. Nothing is guaranteed, but if they get in, sure, they'll have a great chance if Beckett is at his best.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
The Indians got 2 good pitching prospects for what is basically a designated hitter. I will admit Martinez is a VERY GOOD hitter, but he doesn't bring anything else to the table. I think the Indians maybe could have done better, but I don't think they got taken that bad either...Masterson is pretty close to being ready. Not sure about the other kid, but he's a very nice prospect.

You got a point. Thing with the Red Sox is that they've been so good in regards to drafting/developing the last 5 years that it seems like they can trade anybody and not be hurt in the least. I want somebody to rape the Red Sox for once.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
You got a point. Thing with the Red Sox is that they've been so good in regards to drafting/developing the last 5 years that it seems like they can trade anybody and not be hurt in the least. I want somebody to rape the Red Sox for once.

I wouldn't call it rape, but the Marlins definitely won with Hanley Ramirez. The BoSox are still hunting for a SS.