Why did we trade Nick Swisher?

VAfan

Why did KW trade Nick Swisher this offseason and go into the season with DeWayne Wise and Brian Anderson in CF? When Nick hit his tying HR last night, I sat there wondering about this move. The fact that Wise came through with a single to win the game doesn't change this calculus.

Nick Swisher has produced 56.2 runs created this season in 371 plate appearances.

DeWayne Wise has produced 7.1 runs created in 112 PAs.

Brian Anderson produced 17.7 runs created 205 PAs.

The difference is that Swisher has 27.4 more runs created. Since he has 54 more PAs, we'll discount the difference to 25 runs.

If you plug that into the pythagorean expected win totals, you'll see that the Tigers are +31 runs, while we are at zero. So, had we kept Nick Swisher, we could easily be tied with the Tigers at this point -- or ahead of them if Swisher had helped us beat the Tigers even one time.

Meanwhile, KW ends up trading for Mark Kotsay to fill the same kind of role Swisher fills, yet he's several years older and dramatically less productive. So unproductive offensively, in fact, that I'm not sure he's much better than Brian Anderson at this point.

Swisher would have given us a major league player in CF from the start of the year. He could have kept that job when Scotty Pods came over because Quentin went down. And now he would still be a super-sub for Quentin, Pods, Dye, Konerko, and Thome, giving him plenty of ABs that will go instead to less productive hitters for the Sox.

I realize KW and Ozzie wanted to dump Swisher after last season. But it was a dumb move without getting someone to replace his role. That one position has been the weakest on the team, and has certainly cost us games, and very possibly another division title.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Why did KW trade Nick Swisher this offseason and go into the season with DeWayne Wise and Brian Anderson in CF? When Nick hit his tying HR last night, I sat there wondering about this move. The fact that Wise came through with a single to win the game doesn't change this calculus.

Nick Swisher has produced 56.2 runs created this season in 371 plate appearances.

DeWayne Wise has produced 7.1 runs created in 112 PAs.

Brian Anderson produced 17.7 runs created 205 PAs.

The difference is that Swisher has 27.4 more runs created. Since he has 54 more PAs, we'll discount the difference to 25 runs.

If you plug that into the pythagorean expected win totals, you'll see that the Tigers are +31 runs, while we are at zero. So, had we kept Nick Swisher, we could easily be tied with the Tigers at this point -- or ahead of them if Swisher had helped us beat the Tigers even one time.

Meanwhile, KW ends up trading for Mark Kotsay to fill the same kind of role Swisher fills, yet he's several years older and dramatically less productive. So unproductive offensively, in fact, that I'm not sure he's much better than Brian Anderson at this point.

Swisher would have given us a major league player in CF from the start of the year. He could have kept that job when Scotty Pods came over because Quentin went down. And now he would still be a super-sub for Quentin, Pods, Dye, Konerko, and Thome, giving him plenty of ABs that will go instead to less productive hitters for the Sox.

I realize KW and Ozzie wanted to dump Swisher after last season. But it was a dumb move without getting someone to replace his role. That one position has been the weakest on the team, and has certainly cost us games, and very possibly another division title.

We traded him because it was the first time I bought an authentic jersey with a players name on it and the baseball gods hate me for tripping that kid rounding second when I was 6.

Don't forget we also got "Cy" Marquez.

If Nunez doesn't give us something, we got nothing but salary relief for dumping Swisher.

And I'll still need more convincing we got anything of real value for Vazquez. Flowers has to be That Guy because Lillibridge is a joke.

Might be better than Kenny Kool doesn't make any moves.

I know he's had his share of hits with Thornton for Borchard and Gavin for Freddy and Danks for McCarty.

But the work he did last winter so far has done nothing to help this team.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Im hoping Jhonny Nunez ends up helping us in the future, because Betemit sucked and Marquez doesnt look too hot either.

At the very least, we got a guy who spells his name Jhonny.

Because his offense is only valuable at positions where he is a defensive liability. Also, he's apparently a really bad fit with the current Sox clubhouse.

I can't believe this is coming up, again.

Where would you even have him play on this team as it stands today?

VAFan,

Swisher was hardly better than a replacement player last year for us and was playing so bad that he was benched for Wise.

He is batting .239 this year, and did a good chunk of his damage in April. Also, he has yet to play CF for the Yankees this year, so it may be better to compare him with Jermaine Dye since Swisher has spent most of his time in RF.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
VAFan,

Swisher was hardly better than a replacement player last year for us and was playing so bad that he was benched for Wise.

He is batting .239 this year, and did a good chunk of his damage in April. Also, he has yet to play CF for the Yankees this year, so it may be better to compare him with Jermaine Dye since Swisher has spent most of his time in RF.

Swisher's OBP is .367 though.

We could have used his offense in April too...

I don't get why fans were so adamant to boo him last night (from the start). So he wasn't happy when he was benched. Would you be lighting up a big smile for your organization if you got demoted at your job? He was a good personality and did a lot of good charity type stuff.

Kind of annoying to me when we salivate over guys when they're here and then demoralize them once Kenny gets rid of them (things I would expect to happen to the likes of Wise or Kotsay once they are gone. And no, I'm not speaking for everyone, but you know there's that subset that does this)

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
Why did we trade for him in the 1st place?

Well that part is obvious - we wanted a better bat and the right type of player, with OBP abilities, for CF.

Unfortunately, he was bad in CF, not so great at the plate, and couldn't mesh with the clubhouse at all, so he had to get shipped out of town.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Well we don't have him anymore so why keep crying about the past.

I was never a big fan of Swisher.

The problem with us getting rid of him is what we got to replace him.

Although both Anderson and Wise are superior defensively, Swisher is twice the hitter those guys are.

Plus, the fact that we got total garbage in return for him doesn't help much either.