Why did we trade Nick Swisher?

VAfan

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Injuries would have forced Swisher to become more of a regular player had we kept him, but that means we wouldn't have picked up Pods, and Pods' bat has helped us a ton. I can't say I'd expect Swisher to do the same since Pods makes contact with the baseball and finds holes while Swisher stands there like an asshole.

:lol:

Not that I disagree, but i've never seen/heard it put that way. Hahaha

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
Why did KW trade Nick Swisher this offseason

Because...

1. He's a D-Bag

2. He hit .219 last year

3. Dewayne Wise outperformed him offensively and defensively last year

4. He strikes out too much

5. He was a fourth OF/backup 1B

6. He's a D-Bag nobody liked, and have you noticed when we play Yankee's Konerko won't even talk/look at him at first.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Because...

1. He's a D-Bag

2. He hit .219 last year

6. He's a D-Bag nobody liked, and have you noticed when we play Yankee's Konerko won't even talk/look at him at first.

1. Ultimately, who cares? He's the same guy he was his whole career

2. So what? Cherry picking an incomplete stat and his BABIP was about 30 points lower than his career average.

3. Exteremely arguable on both ends and Swisher has a FAR better track record, we were talking about this year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...ar=2008&t=b

4. Again, who cares?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74441 (specifically the section about negligable correlation between runs produced and Ks)

5. Nah, he was as good as Pods is in CF and not leagues worse if any worse than Wise (he was playing there full time for the first time in his career.

6. Who cares? The team was about the same/little bettter with him on the team last year. The A's of the 70's got into fist fights in the clubhouse, chemistry is overrated, it's magical when you win and scapegoated when a team loses. He hasn't exactly destroyed the NYY clubhouse this year has he?

Again, the best argument for why they traded him was they decided his salary didn't fit their future plans, which if Rios goes back to around his career averages and plays CF full time next year, it was probably the right decision in the long run.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
1. Ultimately, who cares? He's the same guy he was his whole career

2. So what? Cherry picking an incomplete stat and his BABIP was about 30 points lower than his career average.

3. Exteremely arguable on both ends and Swisher has a FAR better track record, we were talking about this year.

4. Again, who cares?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74441 (specifically the section about negligable correlation between runs produced and Ks)

5. Nah, he was as good as Pods is in CF and not leagues worse if any worse than Wise (he was playing there full time for the first time in his career.

6. Who cares? The team was about the same/little bettter with him on the team last year. The A's of the 70's got into fist fights in the clubhouse, chemistry is overrated, it's magical when you win and scapegoated when a team loses. He hasn't exactly destroyed the NYY clubhouse this year has he?

Again, the best argument for why they traded him was they decided his salary didn't fit their future plans, which if Rios goes back to around his career averages and plays CF full time next year, it was probably the right decision in the long run.

They played and old Griffey and Dewayne Wise over him last year; he was bitter about it. He had to go, and I think if we kept him, we wouldn't have Pods or Rios right now.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Because...

1. He's a D-Bag

2. He hit .219 last year

1)He's really not a d-bag. The Sox are the only team he didn't mesh well with in the clubhouse. My thinks it has to do alot with #6, or #14 if you will.

2)Very true. Yet, we applaud Rios and want to give him another shot next year. Huh?

3)And how about this year? How about the career?

4)True. So does Adam Dunn whom we all want as DH next year. And we had Thome. Some good players do K a lot.

5)And probably one of the best fourth OF/backup 1B in the league at his worst last year.

6)He's a d-bag that "leaders" of the clubhouse didn't like, particularly Paul Konerko who I think hates when people attempt to take the leadership role from him. Or perhaps hates people who lead in different ways than he does. I'm pretty sure he's the one who also hated Orlando. All in all, he probably doesn't like any loudmouth player who tells it like it is. Players who were their emotions on their sleeve. You follow PK, or you leave, pretty much unless you're Ozzie.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
1)He's really not a d-bag. The Sox are the only team he didn't mesh well with in the clubhouse. My thinks it has to do alot with #6, or #14 if you will.

2)Very true. Yet, we applaud Rios and want to give him another shot next year. Huh?

3)And how about this year? How about the career?

4)True. So does Adam Dunn whom we all want as DH next year. And we had Thome. Some good players do K a lot.

5)And probably one of the best fourth OF/backup 1B in the league at his worst last year.

6)He's a d-bag that "leaders" of the clubhouse didn't like, particularly Paul Konerko who I think hates when people attempt to take the leadership role from him. Or perhaps hates people who lead in different ways than he does. I'm pretty sure he's the one who also hated Orlando. All in all, he probably doesn't like any loudmouth player who tells it like it is. Players who were their emotions on their sleeve. You follow PK, or you leave, pretty much unless you're Ozzie.

and you know this how?

Because...

1. He's a D-Bag

2. He hit .219 last year

Just curious, what are your thoughts on Rios?

Via youtube and some reports from the clubhouse, Rios is a D-bag, is being outperformed by Wise, is striking out too much, and wishes he was hitting .219 with the Sox.

Just because Swish is playing better in New York doesn't mean he'd do better here. He'd face different pitchers, be in different atmospheres, different circumstances, etc. I'm glad he's gone, him and his .230 average, taking strike three and swinging at ball four ass is gone.

So I guess you have no, or bad expectations for Peavy, Rios and whomever else the Sox decided to acquire just because they are playing somewhere else.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
and you know this how?

Speculation on the way how PK acts. How he called out Podsednik for saying the Sox need to be more intense because the intensity is not there. The way he carries himself. The way he didn't like how Frank spoke his mind and they started fighting(verbally). PK having a problem with Orlando trying to take the leadership role. Just based on how he acts, what has come out in the papers and putting the puzzles together. PK is not the only way who is like this though. Jermaine is very much the same. PK is the face of the franchise though with Buerhle.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Here is the end to this thread;

Swisher was brought in to play leftfield

Quentin became an MVP candidate

Swisher sucks as a CF

There was no room for him and he didn't have a positive vibe...off he went

Some liked him some didn't

Swisher doesn't suck as a CF. He's not terrible defensively, he's not a superstar defensively though.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
who is #6?

#6 on the bullet chart. #14 is the only player though.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Speculation on the way how PK acts. How he called out Podsednik for saying the Sox need to be more intense because the intensity is not there. The way he carries himself. The way he didn't like how Frank spoke his mind and they started fighting(verbally). PK having a problem with Orlando trying to take the leadership role. Just based on how he acts, what has come out in the papers and putting the puzzles together. PK is not the only way who is like this though. Jermaine is very much the same. PK is the face of the franchise though with Buerhle.

Ok, speculation. Thats what I thought

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
Ok, speculation. Thats what I thought

It doesn't matter. So many teams have so many players that hate each other and still win. Ever hear the stories about Jeter and A-Rod? Yeah, no WS since they paired up but playoffs all years but one and the Evil Swisher is on that team and they will likely lock up the best record in the AL

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
It doesn't matter. So many teams have so many players that hate each other and still win. Ever hear the stories about Jeter and A-Rod? Yeah, no WS since they paired up but playoffs all years but one and the Evil Swisher is on that team and they will likely lock up the best record in the AL

Each team is unique, you cant say if something affects one team it will affect all teams, and vice versa. He didnt fit in, the team didnt appreciate his antics, he was gone and thats it.

Plus, Swisher is on the best team money can buy, they can pay over chemistry mistakes that other teams cannot afford.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Each team is unique, you cant say if something affects one team it will affect all teams, and vice versa. He didnt fit in, the team didnt appreciate his antics, he was gone and thats it.

Plus, Swisher is on the best team money can buy, they can pay over chemistry mistakes that other teams cannot afford.

Or you can question the veteran leadership on the White Sox as to why he didn't work. Other teams with less payroll had poor chemistry and did a lot of winning.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
like who?

Again, it was awhile ago, but every team reggie jackson was on basically (again, I'm not comparing swisher to reggie, but people didn't get a long)

the '03 Cubs hated Sosa and they got within a game of the WS and complete mental failure cost them that, Dibble use to talk about the divides in the Reds clubhouse when they won the WS when he was on Dan Patrick's show, Manny was a pain in the ass teammate, Kirby Puckett was a notorious A-hole.

Also, when "chemistry" is bad you don't hear about it if the team is winning.

Look, we disagree on this subject and it's hard to prove right or wrong.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 06:56 AM)
I'd also like to know how much pressure a prancer on first is putting on the hitter at the plate. The saying is that the hitter will get more fastballs, but I have to believe the percentage of players swinging at junk and striking out goes way up when there's a guy taking off for second. Isn't that why Dye and Cabrera had to be separated last year?

There have been studies done that prove this exact theory. The hitter simply tries to do too much.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
How about the pick off throw that went into right field the other day?

He has stolen 27 bases, caught stealing 10 times, picked off 10 times, along with five outs on the bases this season. I know the pitcher has not thrown the ball away in attempt to pick off podsednik nearly half as many times as podsednik has made outs on the bases this season, it's closer to 1/10th of the amount. Podsednik absolutely kills the white sox on the bases and there really is no way around it.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
Hawk's a moron.

Only a moron would truly think hawk is a moron. You do not have to like him for what he is, but he knows the damn game as well, if not better than 99.9 percent of the population, and i would easily stand by that.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
Only a moron would truly think hawk is a moron. You do not have to like him for what he is, but he knows the damn game as well, if not better than 99.9 percent of the population, and i would easily stand by that.

He's not a moron but he talks out of his ass a LOT, I think he just likes hearing himself talk.