Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GasLampBall has a lot of info:

XX Sports Radio: Barry Axelrod (MP3) with Darren Smith

Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod has confirmed that Peavy has been traded. Peavy agreed to the trade.

Jake Peavy is leaving because the Padres were continually trying to trade him. Padres kept telling him he had to be more open minded. The Chicago White Sox pursued him.

XX Sports Radio: Jake Peavy Interview (MP3) with Darren Smith

Peavy's wife woke him up at 12:20 PST from a nap to talk to his agent and he approved the trade.

The Padres continually had meetings asking Peavy to be more open minded about leaving. The White Sox wanted him on their team and they continually pursued him. Padres told him that they had to trade him and it weighed on him. The White Sox wanted him three times more than the Padres and they wanted him even when he was hurt.

"I'm certainly not scared to pitch in the American League."

He's looking forward to pitching with Scott Linebrink and hopefully win a World Championship.

He doesn't want to sit through more seasons like the last two that the Padres.

Peavy is excited to be going to a team that is competing. The White Sox want to win.

Peavy didn't want to spend another Winter in limbo.

"Excited about the opportunity, love the city of Chicago"

He will be more excited later when he's on a plane after he says goodbye to his Padres teammates.

"The Padres organization gave me a chance as a 17 year old kid."

Peavy will keep his house in San Diego and his boys will be in school for the next year.

"I hope the fans understand."

"I never thought I'd see number 51 leave... It will be bitter sweet day for Padres fans. I'm sure some that will be upset about me leaving, but they've got the, in my mind, greatest Padre of all time, at least pitcher, coming back tonight and having a nice little tribute for him, so it should be awesome"

Was the decision to leave tought? "It's not tough, if I was a single man with no strings attached it would have been a lot easier"

"There are no hard feelings on my end. You sign up for one thing and obviously a lot changed from when I signed my deal."

"I've been so proud to be a Padre my whole life, but those days have come and gone now. You never know what will happen when, age 31, and I'm a free agent again and I can certainly see myself putting that uniform on again maybe one day down the road and maybe getting to finish my career the way I started it."

"I understand what had to be done from the Padres standpoint... I can promise my fans that it's not me choosing to leave, this was an inevitable day, whether it happened now or this winter... I knew I would not put on for the Padres next year and when you know that this decision today was easier because of that."

Peavy will pitch for the White Sox this season.

"I gave my heart and soul to this organization and I was so happy to do that. I belong elsewhere now."

It was made very clear to him that he had to be moved by the Padres Front Office. They moved him for financial reasons.

"It's a deal I'd like to think is going to benefit both teams"

"I'm not going to be shy in saying that it was made very clear to me that I had to be moved."

Peavy alludes to a deal where he could be with his family.

Peavy will probably cry in the Padres clubhouse, they are his family. "Life goes on. I'm a big boy about it."

Peavy told Phillip Rivers first about the trade.

He's excited about being able to compete again and have a chance to win and the White Sox have the ownership that can bring him a World Championship.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
For White Sox fans. As good as it is to have Jake Peavy, we’re much better for having Kenny Williams as our GM. Also, confirmed this is the same exact deal as last time.

Just had an idea about this... Could it have been Hudson was in the last deal but now to maintain his value Kenny portrays him as an "untouchable" and having offered him up previously could diminish that value.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
Keep in mind Peavy did pitch 3 starts after the injury, with a heavily taped ankle. After the MRI they shut him down. I guess I'm saying it's not the kind of injury that completely prevented him from throwing.

I'll miss Richard, I think this guy is going to be a stud. But man...what a rotation.

He pitched pretty well in his last start too. 7 innings of 2 run ball with 8 Ks against Arizona.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Just had an idea about this... Could it have been Hudson was in the last deal but now to maintain his value Kenny portrays him as an "untouchable" and having offered him up previously could diminish that value.

Hudson was a part of the previous deal. It sounded like the old deal was Hudson, Broadway, Richard, and Poreda. This is a similar package except that Broadway was replaced with Russell and Hudson was replaced with Carter.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
Hudson was a part of the previous deal. It sounded like the old deal was Hudson, Broadway, Richard, and Poreda. This is a similar package except that Broadway was replaced with Russell and Hudson was replaced with Carter.

What is the source on that? Just to confirm what I thought since KW did say today it was the exact same deal.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
Sox apparently are hooking up Peavy's family to make it easier for them, don't know how, but that had to be done from our end.

They are giving them a year supply of cheese spread.

Gotta give KW some praise for this move. The most impressive thing to me about this deal, outside of the players we had to give up to get an ace, is the fact that this was so hush-hush. "Under the radar" indeed. As Black Jack mentioned in his blog entry, I too am somewhat concerned about that elbow pain Peavy had at the beginning of this season but it apparently healed and he was throwing the ball pretty well before being shutdown. Next year is going to be a lot of fun.

Ok so we got a guy who at one time didn't even want to be here, who is injured with no exact time to return to the bigs? We gave up 4 pitchers for this player and we owe him more money than God can get his hands on. And one of the players we gave up has been instrumental in keeping us from being worse than we already are.

That said... I am far from being mad about this, because if healthy, happy and motivated Peavy is a dynamic mean filthy stud with the skills, talent, stuff, and moxie to be one of the game's best righty starter.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
Until Peavy establishes himself at The Cell, I would have to consider Buehrle as the ace of the staff.

That's how it's going to be until Mark leaves or his arm falls off. He'll start Opening Day in front of Peavy, that's for sure. Peavy could well be our ace, but Mark's going to be our #1.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
Kevin Towers very very classy there

Listening to the Peavy podcast, he seemed very classy too. Really swayed by us showing so much interest, and says he'll really miss SD.

I'm watching MLBnetwork and I found it kind of funny how our trade broke down. Nothing special. Just figured I'd share.

Towers said KW called him at 1030am today and said "we talk deals every year and so what do you have cookin".

Towers told him lots of hits on Bell and Gonzalez. Kenny asked about Peavy. Towers informed him he was the first to ask so KW told him that they needed to pull it off.

Apparently - it took an hour and a half. So done by Noon or so - surprised nothign leaked.

The host of the show congratulated Towers on getting a "steal".

Theyre also very high on Russell it sounds. He mentioned Russell as a "Power arm" and sees all of them on the roster in september. Which surprised me to hear that with Carter. They like him and Poreda a lot too. Richard got the least talk surprisingly.

Just thought that was worth sharing.