Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
He didn't say Carter would be on the roster in Sept. just the other 3.

Really? Certainly sounded like he said we plan on having all of them up on the 25 man roster then he said in sepetember...He was kind of fumbling around words so I just wrote it off as him being confused or maybe he was serious...

If he said 3 - i missed that part...I'll rewind it and watch.

Poor CR seemed a bit shell shocked. I’ve always thought he was a great kid, has a nice future ahead of him too, if he keeps it up. The Padres rotation is going to be pretty fun to watch soon with Latos, Richard, Gallagher and Poreda In it.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
this just in you boners: i cant remember a game that mattered that JP pitched worth a s*** in.

Really? Like one guy can control his team's ultimate destiny? Peavy's pitched his ass off for years with teams that featured Adrian Gonzalez and whatever AAAA dregs that the Padres could scrape up. He's absolutely a great pitcher.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
Gotta give KW some praise for this move. The most impressive thing to me about this deal, outside of the players we had to give up to get an ace, is the fact that this was so hush-hush. "Under the radar" indeed. As Black Jack mentioned in his blog entry, I too am somewhat concerned about that elbow pain Peavy had at the beginning of this season but it apparently healed and he was throwing the ball pretty well before being shutdown. Next year is going to be a lot of fun.

weird how he didnt understaand the trade. makes so much sense to me.they made this deal thinking about the future. and maybe if peavy would have gotten healthy and pitched good for the pads, it would take more to get him next year as more teams would be interested. basically, i dont feel like we gave up too much for a proven ace.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
2 playoff starts. 0-2. You're right...we shouldn't have traded for him :unsure:

that was on a padre team that was barely .500 i believe.....we get a cy young type of pitcher for clayton richard and prospects....like everyone says you cant fall in love with prospects overall i think we got a steal in this deal

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
find the game and score. he NEVER did jack in any game that mattered. that doesnt matter to you?

That's hardly a fair argument. San Diego hasn't been competitive since 1998.

I know that he won a CY Young and an ERA title and he's only 27. How often do the Sox get those kind of pitchers?

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
look it up guysmiley. find the game and score. he NEVER did jack in any game that mattered. that doesnt matter to you?

The Padres won 89 games in 2007. Peavy won the Cy Young. There were only 6 starts he gave up as many as 4 ER only 2 he gave up more than 4. I would think there was some game that mattered where he did pretty well. But your right. Richard, Poreda, Russell and Carter are all going to probably be better than him.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
look it up guysmiley. find the game and score. he NEVER did jack in any game that mattered. that doesnt matter to you?

yup small sample size, just 2 starts in the plaoyoffs. so he doesnt get credit for helping them get to the playoffs? i guess if danks would have lost that game 163 and sucked in the playoffs, it would mean he sucks too

edit:when u win the cy young, ur good. its not just luck or anything

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
That's hardly a fair argument. San Diego hasn't been competitive since 1998.

I know that he won a CY Young and an ERA title and he's only 27. How often do the Sox get those kind of pitchers?

Exactly. And would we feature a rotation with 4 lefties next year? Not likely, we gave up a couple of guys who could be great but have yet to prove it for a guy who has proven to be an ace. What's with Chicago, first the Bears get a real quarterback now the Sox get another#1 starter for years to come. Buehrle, Peavy, Danks and Floyd makes me happy!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
I don't know about that yet. Obviously, if Peavy returns to form, this is an absolute steal personnel-wise, but who knows when that will be. He has always wanted an ace, that's what he goes for. Wells, Colon, Garcia, Peavy twice. Those are just the ones he got done. He's probably asked about every ace in baseball.

Let me introduce you to El Gran Titan de Bronze, the "ace" in all of baseball for 4 months over 05/06.

On the other hand, he really learned from giving up a "future ace" in Kip Wells for what he thought was a 3 starter in Todd Ritchie.

He was also interested in AJ Burnett at one point, if I remember correctly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Let me introduce you to El Gran Titan de Bronze, the "ace" in all of baseball for 4 months over 05/06.

On the other hand, he really learned from giving up a "future ace" in Kip Wells for what he thought was a 3 starter in Todd Ritchie.

He was also interested in AJ Burnett at one point, if I remember correctly.

The other thing is, KW has never been burned trading for aces, even like in David Wells case when it didn't work out. Sirotka never pitched again. Simmons was so bad in Toronto the Sox actually re-signed him and then released him and Kevin Bierne was nothing. So it was nothing for nothing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
The other thing is, KW has never been burned trading for aces, even like in David Wells case when it didn't work out. Sirotka never pitched again. Simmons was so bad in Toronto the Sox actually re-signed him and then released him and Kevin Bierne was nothing. So it was nothing for nothing.

Was Ritchie an ace?

LOL Cubs fan reactions

Here is how we would have had to match the deal (just matching similar pitchers/draft position/readiness):

(1) Andrew Cashner (Aaron Poreda)

(2) Jeff Stevens (Adam Russell)

(3) Jay Jackson (Dexter Carter)

(4) Tom Gorzelanny (Clayton Richard)

I wouldn't do that trade for Peavy in his condition with the money owed to him.

also if JP isnt going to be a factor until Sept then how many games is he possibly going pitch the rest of the season....max 6? that is the same number of games from now until then that we are going to be starting who in Richards place? to me it is a wash. + peavy isnt big game pitcher. he depends on movement. imo he isnt overpowering anymore. didnt pitch well in bad weather vs. zambrano earlier in year. do you think it will be nice weather in october? i hope i am proven wrong. i will be the first to point out to you fools when he gets lit up by the AL. i was happy the trade didnt occur before and obviously i am a little sour now.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
Am I the only one who still can't really fathom that Jake Peavy is a member of the White Sox? What a huge trade.

:lolhitting

Something in that sentence that just made me think of someone.