Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
also if JP isnt going to be a factor until Sept then how many games is he possibly going pitch the rest of the season....max 6? that is the same number of games from now until then that we are going to be starting who in Richards place? to me it is a wash. + peavy isnt big game pitcher. he depends on movement. imo he isnt overpowering anymore. didnt pitch well in bad weather vs. zambrano earlier in year. do you think it will be nice weather in october? i hope i am proven wrong. i will be the first to point out to you fools when he gets lit up by the AL. i was happy the trade didnt occur before and obviously i am a little sour now.

It really sucks that we lose him after this year then.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
That's how it's going to be until Mark leaves or his arm falls off. He'll start Opening Day in front of Peavy, that's for sure. Peavy could well be our ace, but Mark's going to be our #1.

It would also make sense to stagger Peavy (a righty) between Buehrle and Danks (lefties).

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
Kenny expects him to make his first start at the end of August.

Yeah well see about that

And how many games do you think well be out by then if we keep running Carrasco out there? I dunno, just not liking it

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
And how many games do you think well be out by then if we keep running Carrasco out there? I dunno, just not liking it

They're only pitching Carrasco tonight because Torres couldn't come up from AAA yet.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
They're only pitching Carrasco tonight because Torres couldn't come up from AAA yet.

There is no guarantee that Torres is going to give us what he did in his debut everytime either. This basically looks to me like KW said well we may just have to concede this season to be set up for next year and beyond which is unacceptable to me.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
There is no guarantee that Torres is going to give us what he did in his debut everytime either. This basically looks to me like KW said well we may just have to concede this season to be set up for next year and beyond which is unacceptable to me.

There's no guarantee that Richard could keep throwing 8 inning 1 run ball either.

Torres is better than Colon or anyone else in AAA right now.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
There's no guarantee that Richard could keep throwing 8 inning 1 run ball either.

Torres is better than Colon or anyone else in AAA right now.

Right, but the point being he prolly gives us a better chance at winning games than Torres does.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
What I don't like is that Kenny consistently overpays in these trades.

We traded Swisher and Vaz and got table scraps.

maddening to me.

This isn't overpaying.

Overpaying is Floyd, Ramirez, Poreda, Flowers and Hudson for Halladay.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)

maddening to me.

I thought we got a great return for Vaz to be honest with you

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)

maddening to me.

Tyler Flowers alone isn't table scraps.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)

The obsession with Clayton Richard is beyond me.

The guy has a decent future and he had some great looking starts for us but it's not like he was our ACE.

He was the biggest question mark in our rotation and had Colon not gotten hurt - he may not have even been in the rotation, regarldess of his previous 2 starts. One of which was against the dismal Rays who couldnt hit a high school lefty this season if they saw one.

Richard has factored in half his starts. So he has 6 this month before Peavy would arrive and we'll say 12 total had he stayed...So maybe he has 6-7 quality starts the rest of the season and this month like I said 1/2 so 3 starts. He isn't undefeated when he has a quality start and is usually good to be bombed in the mix. So lets say we take his .280 opponents avg against him and be generous - giving him 2 wins out of those 6 starts. 1-2 losses. Rest no decisions.

How is that bad when you have a potential Ace joining you over richard in September?

He was our 5 starter. The most inconsistent thing/position basically we we have - outside of CF and Alexi's defense.

If we can manage to sit around 1-4 games back heading into September - we'll have a shot cuz we get to play the tigers and twins a lot. Everyone against this deal makes it seem like we sold our core of our team and rebuilt. We dealt away the weakest part of our rotation for a Cy Young winner. Albeit 4 weeks away but we can have guys step up.

This whole love-fest for a guy who 3 weeks ago was hearing about how he needs to be removed from the rotation because of his Cy Young caliber 1 inning 7er performance against the woeful indians has a couple good starts and now he is a greek god.

Its hilarious. Just give Peavy a shot and if he can resemble his old self - no one is goign to care.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:55 AM)

maddening to me.

We just got a legitimate ace under our control until 2014 without giving up any of our top prospects.

Who knows what the White Sox are actually getting in Jake Peavy? It's not clear when he'll be able to pitch or how long it will take for him to be ready to pitch in the majors again, and it's possible or even likely that this trade was more about 2010 and beyond than it was about 2009 because of the minor hole that the deal has created in Chicago's current rotation. Peavy was a top-tier pitcher in the National League but probably will see his stats take a hit when he takes the mound in the tougher league and in a hitters' ballpark, but a John Danks-Mark Buehrle-Peavy-Gavin Floyd rotation not only will be among the league's best but also will soak up 700-800 innings per season, so inferior middle relievers will pitch fewer innings. I worry about Peavy's long-term durability; after his great 2007 season, he had elbow trouble in 2008, and his arm action is not easy.

Keith Law, ESPN

White Sox general manager Ken Williams was not discouraged by the initial rejection from Peavy.

"He never said no, he just said 'not yet,' " Williams said.

"So those words 'not yet' for me meant just that. ... If you are patient in your pursuit, then sometimes you can ultimately get what you want," he said. "When we called back this time, he was better prepared -- he and his family were better prepared for what lies ahead. We were all able to make it work."

The 28-year-old Peavy is 6-6 with a 3.97 ERA in 13 starts with the Padres this season but has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a strained tendon in his right ankle. Williams said the White Sox don't expect Peavy to pitch until the end of August and he could go on a rehab assignment in the middle of the month.

"We're going to still be conservative with our approach. In our division this thing is going to go down to winning games in September," Williams said. "We want to be as strong as we possibly can in September. That's what we're focused on."

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)

maddening to me.

Yeah, Flowers and Viciedo (signed with Swisher's money being freed) are "table scraps."

Sure, sure.

Not to mention that we could still get contributions from Lillibridge, Nunez, Betemit and Gilmore and ESPECIALLY Santos Rodriguez (95-97 MPH from the LH side) down the line. You can't judge most trades for 3-5 years.

Of course, if Peavy goes down with an arm/shoulder injury and misses most of the next three seasons, it will go down as a huge hit because our payroll flexibility is really challenged having Peavy and Buehrle together in the rotation....but still spending less on starters than 05/06/07, when we had Vazquez, Garcia, Garland, Contreras, etc. $55 million dollars just for the rotation in one of those years.

Yet, there are reasons to temper one's excitement over Peavy's move to the second city. In addition coming from the weaker league, Peavy has spent most of his career pitching his home games in Petco Park, one of the most extreme pitchers parks in recent history and the most extreme pitchers park in the game today. Peavy's road ERA over his entire career is 3.84, a full run higher than his home mark. Pitching in the NL West, the hitters parks he's pitched in most have been Arizona's Chase Field and Colorado's Coors Field. In the latter, he has posted a 4.59 ERA. In the former, he's 5-7 with a 5.77 ERA. Peavy has never pitched in U.S. Cellular. In fact, he's never faced the White Sox outside of spring training, but there are reasons to be concerned about how he'll fair in the White Sox's run-happy ballpark.

One might also be concerned about the fact that Peavy was 18-18 with a 4.25 ERA before the Padres moved into Petco, and is 74-50 with a 3.02 ERA across five-plus seasons since, but that's not entirely fair. Peavy was just 22 when the Padres moved into Petco, so that first set of numbers comes from his age-21 and -22 seasons, and he did show improvement in the latter. Also, Qualcomm Stadium was also a very favorable ballpark for pitchers, and Peavy went 7-4 with a 3.23 ERA in 21 career starts there over his first two major league seasons. Still, that does point to the fact that Peavy has always pitched his home games in an extreme pitchers park, giving him frequent respite from the travails of the road.

Another item of concern is the quality of the White Sox's defense. Peavy is a strikeout pitcher (prior to his injury, he was striking out 10.1 men per nine innings this season), so he's less reliant on his fielders than the average hurler, but he has nonetheless benefitted from the Padres above-average ability to turn balls in play into outs behind him. When he won the Cy Young, his opponents' batting average on balls in play was .276. Last year, it was .284. In those two seasons he posted a combined ERA of 2.68. This year and in 2006, his BABIP was closer to league average (a pinch over .300) and his combined ERA from those two seasons has been 4.06. Some of that is team defense and some of it is luck, but when the luck runs out he's been just a tick better than average, and the White Sox aren't going to help him much in the field.

The league change itself is a tertiary concern at worst. Peavy has acquitted himself well in interleague play over the years (3.29 ERA, 3.42 K/BB), and now that the Indians have flipped Victor Martinez and Ryan Garko, the best offense in his new division has been defanged. Still, many of his interleague starts came at Petco with the pitcher in the opposing lineup.

The one advantage Peavy would seem to gain in joining the White Sox is a significant increase in run support. The White Sox's attack has been sputtering this season, but the emergence of Gordon Beckham and Carlos Quentin's return to health should help there. Besides, with Peavy now in his pocket, Williams can spend the offseason trying to fill center field and otherwise improve on the other side of the ball. Peavy will give some of those runs back for the reasons outlined above, but he'll no doubt benefit from escaping the team that has been dead last in the majors in runs scored per game over the past two seasons.

So Peavy isn't a pennant-race fix, and he isn't likely to be the dominant pitcher he was for the Padres, but he's still a 28-year-old with a Cy Young and a sick strikeout rate who should anchor the White Sox rotation beside the 30-year-old Buehrle for the next few years. So what did the White Sox give up to get him?

Clayton Richard is a 25-year-old sinkerballing lefty who was holding down a spot in the rotation with Bartolo Colon back on the disabled list yet again. Richard is exactly the sort of middling-yet-established youngster designed to be dealt in deals like this one. Organizationally, he's not a loss, though he does leave a vacated rotation spot in the middle of a pennant race (D.J. Carrasco was the White Sox's starter against the Yankees on Friday night). Adam Russell is a tall, 26-year-old righty with a low-three-quarters delivery who has pitched well in Triple-A since being converted to relief last year, but struggled in the major league pen last year and hasn't been back. Dexter Carter is a hard-throwing righty starter drafted out of Old Dominion in the middle-rounds last year. He has pitched well in his full-season debut this year, but his lack of a promotion seems telling for a 22-year-old in the Sally League. Those three pitchers were all expendable.

Which brings us to Aaron Poreda. A 22-year-old, 6-foot-6 lefty who throws in the upper 90s with movement and has already had a brief tast of the majors in the White Sox's bullpen, he was the Sox's top pitching prospect and second-best overall farmhand behind Beckham. Though his secondary pitches are well behind his fastball, he could thrive as a starter in Petco Park and, failing that, would make one heck of a closer. He's a top prospect on the cusp of the major leagues, ready to join the Padres rotation in April if not before. San Diego thus gets all of Poreda's team-controlled years without having to wait out his further development in the minors. It is Poreda's performance that will ultimately determine the success of this deal for either team. Though Poreda seems unlikely to out-perform Peavy even in the best-case scenario for the Padres, he could come close at a small fraction of the cost. Given that the White Sox are trying to win now and the Padres are trying to rebuild, the trade makes sense for both teams, but it's what they do this winter and beyond to build around Peavy and Poreda that will ultimately determine the success of this deal. Hmmm....seems like a writer going off the BA, BP and message boards more than his own eyes.

cnnsi.com (corcoran)

Edited by caulfield12

I can't read all 30 pages, but I'll skim 'em later. What's been our fan board consensus? Please summarize for me.

I guess Clayton and Poreda aren't that highly thought of by our people.

I sort of liked what I saw from Clayton and all we heard about in the offseasons was Poreda.

I'll hope for the best. Little confusing he won't be ready until September and now we have no Clayton to start games.

Don't see how that helps us this year.