Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

Somewhere on this board i said "Am i the only one who wished that Peavy deal went through" And sure enough. . . . Awesome. KW is amazing. He has guts!! Our rotation is set for the next 2+ seasons! Buerhle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd. . are you serious!! I cant wait until the end of August!!!!!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Peavy blows out his elbow, misses 18 months and we all say it was the worst trade of his tenure, lol....when the Sox couldn't find a fifth starter down the stretch in a very winnable division and Peavy is unable to come back.

Let's hope we never have to read a thread about that eventuality.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:45 AM)
Until Peavy blows out his elbow, misses 18 months and we all say it was the worst trade of his tenure, lol....when the Sox couldn't find a fifth starter down the stretch in a very winnable division and Peavy is unable to come back.

Jesus, I am tempted to delete this post just out of the sake of principality!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
The other thing is, KW has never been burned trading for aces, even like in David Wells case when it didn't work out. Sirotka never pitched again. Simmons was so bad in Toronto the Sox actually re-signed him and then released him and Kevin Bierne was nothing. So it was nothing for nothing.

Its kind of funny, Gary Glover ended up being the best piece of that deal (at least I thought he was a part of that deal) but maybe he was a part of a different trade.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
also if JP isnt going to be a factor until Sept then how many games is he possibly going pitch the rest of the season....max 6? that is the same number of games from now until then that we are going to be starting who in Richards place? to me it is a wash. + peavy isnt big game pitcher. he depends on movement. imo he isnt overpowering anymore. didnt pitch well in bad weather vs. zambrano earlier in year. do you think it will be nice weather in october? i hope i am proven wrong. i will be the first to point out to you fools when he gets lit up by the AL. i was happy the trade didnt occur before and obviously i am a little sour now.

Peavy is a strikeout-machine. I don't know how you can say he's not a strikeout pitcher.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
What I don't like is that Kenny consistently overpays in these trades.

We traded Swisher and Vaz and got table scraps.

maddening to me.

Tyler Flowers and Sergio Rodriguez are far from table scraps. Dayan Vicideo (Swisher's money) is also far from a table scrap. The Sox traded 1 top 50 prospect for a 27 year old ace (widely considered one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball). I'd say that from a personell stand-point you are talking about a potential steal. I think Richard turns into a solid starter for a long-time, RUssell is a 6th inning reliever, Poreda turns into a set-up guy, and Carter is an X-factor but I don't see him as being a front of the rotation starter (and he's still in A ball).

So basically if every guy hits his peak I'm still freaking a-ok with this move. This is of course assuming Peavy's arm doesn't fall off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
We may struggle to fill those slots. KW says 3 starts. 1 is tonight and we're currently winning this game 6-5 (thanks God!). We can call up Torres to cover a few of those. He was real good last outing; we'll see on the rest. If we can survive those couple weeks; you don't want to be the team facing Peavy, Buerhle, Danks, Floyd in the postseason.

Expect Torres back up. The Sox like him.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
I think Hudson has a chance of being ready.

KW may be thinking that with the economy in the crapper, free agents are going to be cheaper this offseason. If he's right, he gets to buy low.

Especially when you surround Huddy with Buehrle/Peavy/Floyd/Danks. I'm thrilled. The Sox didn't have any upper echelon pitching prospects. RIchard has a great fastball and I like his potential but he doesn't have secondary stuff. Poreda was a high rated prospect that I think makes it as a set-up guy but doesn't have good secondary stuff. Neither Richard or Poreda are front of the rotation starters. Dex is a guy that is probably still a year away with a very live arm who has a shot at being a #2/#3 but that is just a shot and he's still a long ways away.

Russell is a guy we obviously weren't super high on anymore, otherwise we'd have seen him up before we made a move for a Pena. Bottom line I'm thrilled with this deal because the Sox now have a sick rotation and can really get younger and better in the field with Danks/Mitchell/Viciedo/Flowers and keep Alexei/Beckham/Getz/Quentin. That really is a beautiful young nucleus to go with a rotation that has two guys before there primes, one just entering it and one in his prime. Plus Hudson is a f***ing stud, better prospect than Carter right now.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
??? That doesn't appear to be the consensus of this board right now. With a couple of exceptions I think most posters acknowledge that we gave up some decent prospects, but we used said prospects to get an ace who is better than any of those players will be. Nobody's been bashing the weakness of the farm system this year because it isn't weak, and the only top prospect we gave up is Poreda. We still have Danks, Viciedo, Hudson, and Flowers. I don't see what you're getting at.

Poreda I was fine with. I like Dex but given that we have a few starters I think out of all the guys we had, I personally rank Danks/Vicideo/Flowers/Mitchell all above what we gave up (excluding Richard, because young starters with his arm don't grow on trees). There I said it, Clayton Richard is a better prospect than Aaron Poreda :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:54 AM)
I can't name the source but I can tell you that Hudson was told that he was traded.

But maybe my source is wrong cause everything I'm reading tonight indicate it was the exact same trade. I swore I saw someone else confirm a while back that Broadway was a part of the trade too.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
You got a mouse in your pocket I never said they were cheap, I said they do not always put the money back into the product like they should, 2 different things!

You may mean 2 different things, but the words you chose are not that different.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Think of it as a 27 year old prospect who has just been promoted from AAAA to the Major Leagues.

This has to be my favorite assessment of the NL. Absolutely an exaggeration, but I still love it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)
There I said it, Clayton Richard is a better prospect than Aaron Poreda :)

Agreed. I didn't like what I saw from Poreda. The scouting reports were accurate (plus fastball, poor secondary stuff, mediocre control), but it looked worse than it sounded. That said, Poreda should be an above-average reliever. Maybe he pitches differently (better) as a starter, but who knows.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
But maybe my source is wrong cause everything I'm reading tonight indicate it was the exact same trade. I swore I saw someone else confirm a while back that Broadway was a part of the trade too.

It's reasonable for them to say it was the same trade. No need to have guys worrying about an old trade that didn't happen. I remember the Broadway part too. Some Chicago reporter said that.

and the counter to that of course is the old adage, "nice guys finish last."

That obviously has not been the case with the rosters and manager that Kenny has been very largely responsible for.

Other GM's might just be bulls***ting because they know the Sox are always looking to trade and its a valuable line of communication to keep open if they're trying to move someone. But then again, that's equally valuable for the Sox either way. If a team has a player on the block more often than not they're expecting Kenny to at least give them a call. Were the only ones without a Red Sox/Yankees payroll that can create so much roster flexibility.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)
Tyler Flowers and Sergio Rodriguez are far from table scraps. Dayan Vicideo (Swisher's money) is also far from a table scrap. The Sox traded 1 top 50 prospect for a 27 year old ace (widely considered one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball). I'd say that from a personell stand-point you are talking about a potential steal. I think Richard turns into a solid starter for a long-time, RUssell is a 6th inning reliever, Poreda turns into a set-up guy, and Carter is an X-factor but I don't see him as being a front of the rotation starter (and he's still in A ball).

So basically if every guy hits his peak I'm still freaking a-ok with this move. This is of course assuming Peavy's arm doesn't fall off.

Santos Rodriguez of the 1.80 ERA in Bristol and nice K/IP ratio?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:21 AM)
That obviously has not been the case with the rosters and manager that Kenny has been very largely responsible for.

Other GM's might just be bulls***ting because they know the Sox are always looking to trade and its a valuable line of communication to keep open if they're trying to move someone. But then again, that's equally valuable for the Sox either way. If a team has a player on the block more often than not they're expecting Kenny to at least give them a call. Were the only ones without a Red Sox/Yankees payroll that can create so much roster flexibility.

Well, I'm thinking that it would be reasonable to assume that Carter was switched for Hudson (from the time of the first trade)...there was no reason to ALSO include Broadway and/or Hudson, because, as DeLuca wrote, the Padres were just trying to "save face" and get another team to take his entire contract off their hands....of course, Broadway was gone, but maybe the first trade was including Broadway and Hudson instead of Russell and Carter?? Just speculation.

Richard might become even a #3 starter in the the NL, and he's very affordable for them, so it's a good fit. Don't see Poreda making it. Russell was finished with the Sox, maybe people are upset because he was a Top 5-6 prospect in our system when it was so weak...and Carter, well, remember what has happened with Gio, Faustino DeLosSantos and even the likes of Lumsden and Cortes, who was ranked a top 50-60 prospect in ALL of MLB not so long ago.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)

Even if that did happen, this would still be a good deal. That's because the sox are trying to control the AL Central and potentially be dominant for the next 3, 4 years. No one can predict the future. But Peavy's track record suggests he's durable. There's risk involved in any deal. Yet the upside outweighs the risk.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
Would KW dare to give Contreras a one year, incentive-laden contract for $3-5 million plus incentives to be the 5th starter (and keep him around Viciedo and Ramirez)?

Are Torres or Hudson ready?

Should they bring in a Jon Garland/D. Davis/Paul Byrd type for one year, like they tried with Colon this season as a low-risk roll of the dice.

I'm sure Freddy Garcia will be in the mix if he shows anything when he returns.

The fact that some are upset Clayton Richard was traded for Jake Peavy is behind comprehension for me. Also keep in mind Peavy is only a year and a half older than Richard. This trade, assuming Peavy returns at 100% is a steal. Once Peavy shows he's healthy, KW could trade him for a lot more than he gave up.

Well I certainly didn't see this one coming 24 hours ago. Here's my thoughts on the deal and the players involved;

Jake Peavy - Well KW wanted to get an ace, whether it was a Roy Halladay or a Jake Peavy, and when was the last time the Sox signed a big name SP in FA? The ERA's up a little this season compared to the past couple, but he's still an elite pitcher when healthy, we all know that. How will he fit at the Cell though, going from the friendly confines at PETCO? Well Peavy has a GB% of just over the 40% mark. For comparisons sake, Buehrle's is around 45% and Danks is at 47%, so I don't anticipate that number being a huge issue going forward, and perhaps he'll try to generate more groundball by pitching down in the zone more going forward. His FIP this season is 3.04 which is excellent, and right around where he has been over the past 4-5 seasons. So all in all, I like what I see from Jake, and I think he can definitely put up an ERA around the 3-3.5 mark going forward, so long as his HR rate doesn't spike dramatically. One note of caution though, he struggles a lot more against lefties, with them hitting .276 against him compared to .173 against righties, and there are some good lefty hitters in the division obviously.

Richard - His numbers should improve pitching at PETCO, and I could see him being a long - term #3 - #4 starter for them with an ERA around the 4 mark. He's cheap, and he fits into what the Padres are trying to do.

Poreda - Same scenario as Richard. Young and cheap, and I think he could end up being a #2 starter for the Padres if he can reach his upside. Pitching at PETCO will obviously help. The thing you have to remember though, even if these 2 do well for San Diego, you have to ask whether or not they could have done the same for the Sox considering the leagues / ballparks etc.

Carter - Dexter's put up excellent numbers and has been a excellent draft pick for where he was selected (13th round). Needs to develop a 3rd pitch, but again, he could definitely reach the Padres rotation one day.

Russell - Russell was never going to contribute for the Sox again I would have though, so he's basically a throw in. But if he can get his control in order, a future career as a set-up guy certainly isn't out of the question.

So all in all, who wins the trade? Well I think it's fairly even. The Sox wanted an ace, and were willing to give up some good talent to do so. The important thing is, we didn't give up Tyler Flowers, Dayan Viciedo or Jordan Danks to get a deal done here. If we traded for Roy Halladay, one of those guys is definitely involved for sure. Adding Peavy to Buehrle, Danks and Floyd argubly gives the White Sox one of the best 1 to 4 spots in the rotation in baseball. For the Padres, they are rebuilding and cutting costs. Richard and Poreda should contribute now, and I think they did well in the end.

As far as worrying what USCF will do to Peavy's ERA, its interesting to note Gavin Floyd's ERA at USCF is almost 3.00 LOWER than it is everywhere else. Buerhle's ERA is about HALF what it is on the road. Contreras' ERA at USCF lower than on the road, Danks ERA at home, lower than on the road. Only Richard had a higher ERA at home. I really doubt moving to USCF if going to make Jake Peavy a gas can.

This is a trade that should satisfy everyone. Those wanting to win this year, chances are it wasn't going to happen with the roster as is, acquiring an ace is pretty sweet, the only problem is if and when he can pitch this year. Those looking to blow up the team, well the Sox at the very least make a great start towards 2010. No one can argue Peavy, Buerhle, Danks and Floyd is difficult to match let alone beat, and pitching wins.