Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

This is a giant step towards having an elite, dominating starting rotation, esp. playing in the AL Central. This deal was a no brainer, having only taken the sox 5th starter off the 25 man roster.

Now the sox can focus on adding position players in the system [via free agency, like Figgins or in the minors, with Danks, Flowers, Dayan], to get that balanced team that has been missing, that could be ready to compete with anyone.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:27 AM)
I think DeLuca makes a good point:

I'm sorry but looking what we gave up, it wasn't really anyone I was excited about long term. I mean, poreda COULD be matt thornton? I mean, this isn't the bartolo colon raping, but we didn't trade anyone that would be a major asset to our team. Best chance is Carter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
I'm sorry but looking what we gave up, it wasn't really anyone I was excited about long term. I mean, poreda COULD be matt thornton? I mean, this isn't the bartolo colon raping, but we didn't trade anyone that would be a major asset to our team. Best chance is Carter.

Not to mention, look at how well the GMs are doing (Ricciardi) or have done (LaMar, I think for Tampa) when they only ask for "rape" type packages for their players? Other GMs won't work with those kinds of GMs. This is still a better "deal" for the Sox than what the Phillies gave up for Lee, IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Yeah, but you don't get very far by attempting to rape other organizations all the time (although Theo Epstein might disagree). If you are fair and trustworthy, which I think Kenny tries to be, I think you'll be a lot better off in the long run.

Exactly. If Kenny didn't throw Towers a bone and offer him a fair talent return for Peavy, the two would probably never do business again. I'll bet that he learned a lot after his first trade with Gord Ash.

Another similar article to the Rosenthal one. This one also highlights KW’s strengths. My favorite passage:

“Talk about vision and guts. Who has the onions in this business to actually trade for an ace pitcher currently chained to the disabled list?

Kenny Williams, that's who.

"Kenny is pretty persistent," Towers said. "He's a great guy to deal with. He's probably my favorite GM. He's to the point, not a lot of BS. He can make a decision quickly. He's got a great relationship with [sox owner] Jerry Reinsdorf.

"And he keeps his mouth shut. You can do a deal with him and things don't leak out. That's how deals get done. In May, nobody knew about that deal until Jake vetoed it. And nobody knew about this deal."

Publically, while the general feeling in May was that feathers were ruffled and feelings were hurt when Peavy told the Sox to take a hike, privately, it couldn't have been further from the truth.

Said Towers: "He told me in May, 'Somehow I'm going to end up with Jake Peavy. I don't know when and I don't know how. But I will.'"

Flash back to last year's trade deadline, when the White Sox acquired Ken Griffey Jr. from Cincinnati. Who here remembers the previous July, when the Sox struck a deal only to have Griffey employ his no-trade clause to veto it? Uh-huh.

"When he wants something, he usually ends up getting it," Towers said.”http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/12008440/rss

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:20 AM)
But maybe my source is wrong cause everything I'm reading tonight indicate it was the exact same trade. I swore I saw someone else confirm a while back that Broadway was a part of the trade too.

^^^^^

I could be hallucinating but I thought Broadway and Hudson were #'s 3 and 4 in the original offer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 07:33 AM)
As far as worrying what USCF will do to Peavy's ERA, its interesting to note Gavin Floyd's ERA at USCF is almost 3.00 LOWER than it is everywhere else. Buerhle's ERA is about HALF what it is on the road. Contreras' ERA at USCF lower than on the road, Danks ERA at home, lower than on the road. Only Richard had a higher ERA at home. I really doubt moving to USCF if going to make Jake Peavy a gas can.

I imagine that his ERA will probably be in the upper 3's. He'll give up some dingers, but I'd be surprised if his WHIP didn't remain well below 1.3.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
^^^^^

I could be hallucinating but I thought Broadway and Hudson were #'s 3 and 4 in the original offer.

As I recall Broadway’s name only came out after he was traded for Castro. I think it was a Yahoo article that said, he was rumored to have been scouted by the Padres for the Peavy trade. So, no solid confirmation on Broadway. I also remember, don’t quote me on this, there being a list of 4 pitchers the Padres had to choose from, and Ely, Hudson, and Carter being mentioned on being on one of the preliminarily lists.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
I provide the ultimate in analysis.

I was looking on Friar Nation, the Pads message board, and some of those clowns don't even know what they got from us. A lot of them think Richard has been relieving for us all year long and at best he'll be a long reliever or back of the end rotation guy. They said Poreda is not an impact guy, and Dexter and Russel won't see the big leagues. Poreda, Richard, and Dexter all have the potential to be something real solid and i'm excited to see how all of them do.

Does anyone know when Richard is scheduled to start? He should fare pretty well in that big park.

Edited by Special K