Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also laughed when he said he didn't know if he would start or come out of the pen and he is open minded then KW said STARTING and Peavy smiled. Plus when he said about asking Oz if he could pinch hit here or there....

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
I was looking on Friar Nation, the Pads message board, and some of those clowns don't even know what they got from us. A lot of them think Richard has been relieving for us all year long and at best he'll be a long reliever or back of the end rotation guy. They said Poreda is not an impact guy, and Dexter and Russel won't see the big leagues. Poreda, Richard, and Dexter all have the potential to be something real solid and i'm excited to see how all of them do.

Does anyone know when Richard is scheduled to start? He should fare pretty well in that big park.

Richard will be great in PETCO, but do you really think Poreda projects as anything more then a setup man/reliever as he still only has 1 pitch and proven that his secondary stuff is nothing to write home about?

A more personal look on KW. Probably, one of the better articles Scoop Jackson has ever written. http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/...&id=4371601 KW has a manner about him that suggests the utmost confidence in his abilities. He’s got a great poker face to go along with his nickname “The Gambler.” It’s been said that to succeed in any facet of life, you need to take risks. And this what KW does so well. A lot of GM’s work the phone to win an absolutely win a trade; KW does it to win a title. Each and every call has a singular motivating factor behind it, right now; in the wake of this trade I can’t say enough positive things about KW. I know this will change, he’ll make mistakes, and he might even find a way to trade Brandon Allen again. Ultimately, none of that will matter to me, because I want my team to win. and if there’s anything KW knows how to do, winning is exactly that.

"We're about to have some good times around here." Kenny Williams

Edited by scenario

A more personal look on KW. Probably, one of the better articles Scoop Jackson has ever written. http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/...&id=4371601 KW has a manner about him that suggests the utmost confidence in his abilities. He’s got a great poker face to go along with his nickname “The Gambler.” It’s been said that to succeed in any facet of life, you need to take risks. And this what KW does so well. A lot of GM’s work the phone to win an absolutely win a trade; KW does it to win a title. Each and every call has a singular motivating factor behind it, right now; in the wake of this trade I can’t say enough positive things about KW. I know this will change, he’ll make mistakes, and he might even find a way to trade Brandon Allen again. Ultimately, none of that will matter to me, because I want my team to win. and if there’s anything KW knows how to do, winning is exactly that.

"We're about to have some good times around here." Kenny Williams

TB, what does your sig say now? You DODI know crap?? :notworthy

Interesting...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoSP...o&type=lgns

Winner: Kenny Williams. If GMs had nicknames (and who since Trader Jack McKeon has), Williams should be known as the Stealth Bomber. The Chicago White Sox wheeler-dealer somehow traded twice for the same star pitcher, Jake Peavy(notes), without anyone spilling his secret either time. And this time Peavy accepted. The deal will look even better if Peavy, who is out with a bad knee, will be pitching again in the big leagues by September, as Williams expects. Even if he doesn’t, the White Sox have control over him for four more years, which might be enough to persuade Mr. Perfecto, Mark Buehrle(notes), to put off retirement plans.

Loser: Peavy. No one likes to be rejected, and White Sox fans are liable to take it even more personally that Peavy pined for the Cubs in the winter before shooting down Williams’ first trade bid. If Peavy struggles, which frequently happens for pitchers migrating to the AL, White Sox fans, a boisterous lot by definition, will not be easily mollified.

Great read in the LAT about how the Peavy deal went down.

n San Diego, this was not Towers in seclusion. This was another kind of Padres team: Towers, assistants Paul DePodesta and Fred Uhlman, player development executives Grady Fuson and Jeff Kingston, chief financial officer Fred Gerson, club President Tom Garfinkel and managing partner Jeff Moorad.

Towers did all the talking for the Padres, switching from one communication device to another faster than a Peavy fastball.

"Cell, text, cell, regular phone," he said.

With each call, Towers might direct one person in the room to the big grease board on the wall, to erase a trade proposal that had died, to revise one that remained alive, to add a new one.

With each text, Towers might direct another person in the room to rush to a computer, to pull up the scouting reports on prospects just proposed by another team.

"It's almost comical," he said. "I wish we had a video camera in there. You tend to worry about everything moving so fast."

As the clock passed 11 a.m. and headed toward noon, Towers furiously juggled his calls and texts.

He had seven teams calling on Bell, most seriously the Dodgers and Angels. He had three teams calling on Gonzalez, and he even talked about a blockbuster that would have sent Bell and Gonzalez to the Dodgers. He had two teams calling on Correia.

At 11:30 a.m., the general manager of the Chicago White Sox called.

"I haven't heard from you," Kenny Williams told Towers. "What do you have going on?"

Bell, Gonzalez, Correia.

"Would you still discuss Jake?" Williams asked.

Great article. It also has some info on the bone we threw to Peavy and his family. "But that was not all: The trainers from each team had to exchange medical records. The White Sox had to review and accept the insurance policy on Peavy's contract. They also agreed to sweeten the deal for Peavy with air fare and accommodations for his family. The Padres had to notify the commissioner's office that he had waived his no-trade clause."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)

Interesting clarification on the dollar aspect that was in the unknown until now...

The White Sox agreed to pick up all of the $55 million left on Peavy's contract. If the Padres had picked up even $1 million, the consent of the commissioner's office would have been required.

"If there were dollars exchanged, this would have never happened," Towers said.