Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

I guess I like the deal for the future. I don't think it helps us this year and actually I think it hurts our chances of making the playoffs this year. So once I get through the next couple months and over the fact we won't be partying in the playoffs then I will be ok with it.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping for Dan Haren or Felix Hernandez. I know that both were pretty much out of the question but a boy can dream, can't he?

With this trade it kind of feels like we were the only girl at the bar so Peavy went with us. Hopefully he can change my thoughts on him (right now I think he is overrated and built his stats in a crappy league).

I can see where you are coming from. His W-L ration is less than impressive, but his career ERA made me nod in approval. We'll see how he fares in the AL. Totally worth the trade as it is right now, IMO.

we can always make a waivers trade soon for a 5th starter. maybe someone like a doug davis, i think he will be a free agent at years end and a lefty, and then stick him in the pen for september. you can never have enough decent leftys

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
So....There goes some of the money we have after this season. I think this may mean the departure of Thome for sure.

I don't think there is any question. Just move Dye to DH and get a nice RF bat. We will still need to get some offense.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
I can see where you are coming from. His W-L ration is less than impressive, but his career ERA made me nod in approval. We'll see how he fares in the AL. Totally worth the trade as it is right now, IMO.

His W/L ratio? Dude, it's 2009. 10-year-olds know that judging pitchers by wins and losses is officially for those that ride the shortbus.

His W/L ratio? Dude, it's 2009. 10-year-olds know that judging pitchers by wins and losses is officially for those that ride the shortbus.

I know, I know. I'm sorry. Forgive me for eying the stats like a hawk after such a big trade. I originally made a post regarding his W/L, but I deleted it after I realized what you are saying. I was more directing that towards the guy I quoted. Overall, his stats seem pretty solid. Either way, I'm very exited over this trade.

QUOTE (League @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Anyone hear if the Padres are eating salary?

There is a strong rumor that they are. We have no idea how much. Hell, we didn't know how much they were eating exactly with the Thome or Vazquez deals either.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Injury or not, this is amazingness. Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd. Wow, f***in nasty, I'm f***in thrilled. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY. SOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY.

Righty/lefty/righty/lefty. Perfect balance. I didn't like the idea of an all LH rotation (outside of Floyd).