Our pitching staff for years to come...

chw42

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the move and our staff, but let's calm down. Assuming Peavy is Peavy I think it's likely his ERA will rise to the 4's going from the NL and a pitcher's park to the AL and the Cell. It also makes me wonder why SD was willing to take what I think is a weak deal twice. The offense also needs to be changed from this 'summer only' streaky crap, so let's not start talking about the 'on paper' champions or anything like that.

QUOTE (3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
I like the move and our staff, but let's calm down. Assuming Peavy is Peavy I think it's likely his ERA will rise to the 4's going from the NL and a pitcher's park to the AL and the Cell. It also makes me wonder why SD was willing to take what I think is a weak deal twice. The offense also needs to be changed from this 'summer only' streaky crap, so let's not start talking about the 'on paper' champions or anything like that.

They needed to clear salary any way they could.

QUOTE (3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)

in 07 and 08 his ERA+s were 159 and 134. Will his ERA go up? Of course it will, but the other pitcher has to pitch in the same ballpark Peavy is against a line-up with a DH.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
in 07 and 08 his ERA+s were 159 and 134. Will his ERA go up? Of course it will, but the other pitcher has to pitch in the same ballpark Peavy is against a line-up with a DH.

I'm torn a bit but cant help fight the excitement.

I am a bit nervous of how he will translate to the AL and our park. It's one thing to be coming into the AL, but its another when you're leaving that monster Petco and coming to our park.

I think if he is as talented as he has looked - that he will see a slight bump. I know judging by his other road statistics and everything that his numbers differ but the point of an Ace is his ability to shut anyone down on any given/needed day. Which is what he is and has.

The thing I dislike about using statistics and ERA+ and the extended statistics is that eventually the guys talent and stuff come into play. Ibanez, for instance, was a very underrated and good player. When he went to Philly - people expected him to jump but no one or no stat had him putting up the numbers he was (before injury) and is (even after) this year. His is for the positive by going to a hitters park - ours cuold be for the negative. But the point was that eventually the guy has to prove his worth and I think Peavy can keep himself together for a 3.5 era or less while here.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)

A ERA+ of 134 will translate to a ERA of 3.45 at the Cell.

That's what Buehrle has right now.

I still think Buehrle will be our actual #1. Not saying he's better than Peavy, but I think he'll be our Opening Day starter. Maybe Hudson as the #5 starter if he keeps raping in the minors?

Trade Hudson for something big in the offseason. Probably a new power bat.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
I am absolutely giddy about this trade, but I remember we were saying similar things about our rotation when we acquired Vazquez. I just don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.

Hopefully Peavy has at least more "marbles" than Vazquez ever did. :D

I don't think Hudson will start next season in the rotation, if I had a guess I think Carlos Torres and Lucas Harrell will battle it out for the last spot while Hudson gets some seasoning in AAA. Assuming they struggle an Hudson is doing well in Charlotte he would probably be the first to get the call though.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Does anyone think the sox sign Contreras to a cheap contract + incentives for an insurance policy next year? (ie. the Colon of 2010) I wouldn't mind keep JC for one year if it is an inexpensive option, would be a good insurance policy.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. However, I see Jose having a good August and September. He's been good down the stretch his entire career. So he might have some other bidders. The stuff is still there.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
I'd rather sign Ben Sheets or Justin Duchscherer to a 1 year deal. They will both be out to prove themselves next year and both would not be a bad #5 at all.

what about Rich Harden?