Our pitching staff for years to come...

chw42

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
what about Rich Harden?

Some team will give Harden a multi year deal. My preference would be to sign someone to a 1 year deal, and I doubt teams will be offering multi year deals to Sheets or Duchscherer. I would offer a multi year deal only to Erik Bedard, if the price was right. John Lackey will be too pricey.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Reinsdorf had an interesting quite in an ESPN piece about the Peavy trade. This could just be something he threw out in passing, or just not as interesting as I’m making it out to be. "With Buehrle, Danks, Floyd and Peavy -- that's as good a four starters as you are going to see in baseball, probably," Reinsdorf said. "I'm sure we'll get a fifth starter to go along with them.” http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4370522. Does this point to a move this year? Or simply the end of the Contreras era after this year, as many of us have predicted? I'm going with the former, right now.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
This deal isn't for this year, just remember that.

When the Sox want to start making the transition, having this big four to build around is going to make things a hell of alot easier.

Makes things a lot easier for free agents as well. If I'm Carl Crawford or Chone Figgins, the White Sox would definitley have to be on top of my list.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
Jerry Reinsdorf had an interesting quite in an ESPN piece about the Peavy trade. This could just be something he threw out in passing, or just not as interesting as I’m making it out to be. "With Buehrle, Danks, Floyd and Peavy -- that's as good a four starters as you are going to see in baseball, probably," Reinsdorf said. "I'm sure we'll get a fifth starter to go along with them.” http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4370522. Does this point to a move this year? Or simply the end of the Contreras ERA after this year, as many of us have predicted? I’m going with the former, right now.

Interesting quote. I'm sure JR is refering to solidifying this already impressive rotation via free agency in the offseason. I highly doubt Contreras comes back next year. Lackey, Webb and Harden are the top 3 starting pitchers via free agency. Honestly i would much rather spend money on an outfielder than spend another 10+ million on a SP. Then again KW always seems to have a few tricks up his sleeve. . . perhaps making a deal with a team to aqcuire a young cheap starter like Zach Duke, Ross Ohlendorf or Johnny Cueto,

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 07:13 AM)
Interesting quote. I'm sure JR is refering to solidifying this already impressive rotation via free agency in the offseason. I highly doubt Contreras comes back next year. Lackey, Webb and Harden are the top 3 starting pitchers via free agency. Honestly i would much rather spend money on an outfielder than spend another 10+ million on a SP. Then again KW always seems to have a few tricks up his sleeve. . . perhaps making a deal with a team to aqcuire a young cheap starter like Zach Duke, Ross Ohlendorf or Johnny Cueto,

I kind of think JR was joking a bit - like having a great infield and outfield and saying "we'll probably have a catcher, too"

I doubt the Sox will go out into the market for big bucks and lock up somebody that makes Danks a 5th starter....

In any case, the 5th starter spot is overrated anyway. If you worked your 4 starters every 5 days, you'd only need the 5th spot 20 times per year. I'd prefer a veteran that's better on long rest, like Ted Lyons as a "Sunday Starter."

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
I kind of think JR was joking a bit - like having a great infield and outfield and saying "we'll probably have a catcher, too"

I doubt the Sox will go out into the market for big bucks and lock up somebody that makes Danks a 5th starter....

In any case, the 5th starter spot is overrated anyway. If you worked your 4 starters every 5 days, you'd only need the 5th spot 20 times per year. I'd prefer a veteran that's better on long rest, like Ted Lyons as a "Sunday Starter."

Honestly if Freddy Garcia re-gains his arm strength this winter i would love to have him as our 5th starter next year. If it doesnt work out, you have Torres and others. But it would be even better if KW could aqcuire another young starter with a ton of potential like Duke, Bailey, Ohlendorf or Cueto. . .

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
I think Hudson is up late next year or the year after that.

With such starting pitching depth, I guess you can look at it two ways -- either we can allow him to compete for the position in ST, possibly win it, and endure the growing pains of starting (similar to Danks); or figure, with a solid rotation already intact, there's no need to rush him.

I feel if there's really nothing for him to work on (ie, developing second pitches), there's no need to keep him in the minors. However, what I imagine they'll do is resign Contreras and take whatever they can from him. If he's falling apart on the mound or becomes injured, then you can promote Hudson. It's easier entering the season with an option available than holding 5th starter tryouts through spring training and beyond.

And not addressing you Rock, but I hope no one even f***ing hints at putting Hudson in the bullpen. I'm sick of this argument presenting itself-- you can't have a starting pitcher under Guillen pitch out of the bullpen in the long relief role because he'll never find consistent work. It was a different time with Garland and Buehrle under Manuel. If Hudson's up here, he should be starting. Otherwise, keep him in the minors.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
If you are using Poreda as an example of Guillen not being able to manage a starter out of the bullpen, you are making a mistake. I would be shocked to find out Poreda was on this teams "3 Year big board" going forward. He wasn't in the franchises plans, and I honestly think the Sox didn't want to expose him that badly.

It has to do more with the dependability of our starters under Guillen's reign more than his willingness to avoid using them. If practically every night a starter is going 6-7 innings, where does Hudson fit in? We should just keep it simple -- either start up in the majors or the minors. No bulls*** of pitching sporadically.