Would Joe Mauer be worth going after as a FA in 2010?

chisoxfan09

The guy is one of the best OBP machines in MLB and is also I think in the top 3 as a backstop defensively. If it even gets this far I think he will wind up making 15-18 million per year as the best catcher on the market. He would round out the lineup for the next 5 years. Too early but what the heck.

Sorry should say after 2010. Mods can u change and correct the title??

Edited by chisoxfan09

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
The guy is one of the best OBP machines in MLB and is also I think in the top 3 as a backstop defensively. If it even gets this far I think he will wind up making 15-18 million per year as the best catcher on the market. He would round out the lineup for the net 5 years. Too early but what the heck.

I can't see them ever letting him go. He is THE Minnesota Twins. Hometown kid, developed by the organization. I can't imagine he is going anywhere unless he just gets insanely greedy and they can't pay him. But if there is anyone the Twins will overpay to keep, it is Mauer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
I can't see them ever letting him go. He is THE Minnesota Twins. Hometown kid, developed by the organization. I can't imagine he is going anywhere unless he just gets insanely greedy and they can't pay him. But if there is anyone the Twins will overpay to keep, it is Mauer.

I agree. I'd be shocked if he didn't retire a Twin.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
I agree. I'd be shocked if he didn't retire a Twin.

Mauer and morneau are an awesome duo, however; Mauer had back issues early this spring. First base seems to be locked up by Morneau so I believe Mauer may end up as a DH. I believe he still should get the big bucks but historically Minnesota is not the team to pay the high dollar. I believe there will be a bidding war for his services.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
The Yankees will throw everything at Joe Mauer. Everything.

And the Twins will try and lock him up early, and play the fans and public sentiment to their favor. He is a hometown kid. He almost has to sign there unless they don't give him a reasonable offer (which they will).

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
If Mauer turns down whatever the Twin's offer will be he sure as hell isn't going to the White Sox.

You're probably right. But there is very little chance he's gonna turn down a Twins offer. The guy turned down a very promising football career to play for the Twins, he will likely remain on that team until he can't play anymore.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:38 AM)
Mauer and morneau are an awesome duo, however; Mauer had back issues early this spring. First base seems to be locked up by Morneau so I believe Mauer may end up as a DH. I believe he still should get the big bucks but historically Minnesota is not the team to pay the high dollar. I believe there will be a bidding war for his services.

DH? Mauer would probably be a good RF/LF and if he played everyday at 1B he'd be better defensively than Morneau. Mauer is a freak, and probably end up in the Hall.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:53 AM)
I read somewhere that Boston plans to come at him hard. No way Minny matches the money they're prepared to throw his way. He can't be stupid and give a hometown discount when he stands to make zillions.

I would be shocked if Minnesota did not offer him something along the lines of 5/$75. If he claims he needs 5/$100 or else he'll go to NY or Boston, he'll get raked over the coals by the fanbase.

It would be great to get him, but it will be expensive. I think he will be leaving Minn. I think he is pissed at the Twins for lack of going after big name free agents and trading at the dead line.

That is one of the reasons I mention this beause as lame as the division is I know for the Twinkies after Mauer and Morneau that is pretty much it offensively. And as one of the best catchers in the bigs well anything can happen when money is involved right? The other huge factor that made untouchables like Halladay consider a trade is the desire to compete and win. I think we now have a better future than both Det and the Twinkies so that in itself is motivation.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:59 AM)
I would be shocked if Minnesota did not offer him something along the lines of 5/$75. If he claims he needs 5/$100 or else he'll go to NY or Boston, he'll get raked over the coals by the fanbase.

If Mauer ends up going somewhere else, it will be the Twins ownership that will be raked over the coals by the fanbase. Unless he gives them an amazing discount, I fail to see how it will result in anything else.

There is no way the twins retain him if he hits the free agent market. He is the best play at his position, and maybe of all time. If the twins think they are gonna keep him on some sort of 5/70 or 6/90 deal they are nuts. This guy is going to command the same types of contracts that Mark Texeria, CC Sabathia, and all true superstars commands. If Maur turns down some sort of like 7/140 offer to stay with the twins on the cheap he is a fool. His job is to gain max financial benefit from his career. He accepts his market value whether its us, Yanks, whoever, and he can take of his family for generations; college, houses, cars, retirments, etc. These are things we all aspire for, he wouldnt turn that kind of security down, no man would. That being said I hope we do get him becasue he is a stud, but like I said he is definatly in the 7 year 140 mil range, especially in the AL where he can DH as he ages.

There is no way the twins retain him if he hits the free agent market. He is the best play at his position, and maybe of all time. If the twins think they are gonna keep him on some sort of 5/70 or 6/90 deal they are nuts. This guy is going to command the same types of contracts that Mark Texeria, CC Sabathia, and all true superstars commands. If Maur turns down some sort of like 7/140 offer to stay with the twins on the cheap he is a fool. His job is to gain max financial benefit from his career. He accepts his market value whether its us, Yanks, whoever, and he can take of his family for generations; college, houses, cars, retirments, etc. These are things we all aspire for, he wouldnt turn that kind of security down, no man would. That being said I hope we do get him becasue he is a stud, but like I said he is definatly in the 7 year 140 mil range, especially in the AL where he can DH as he ages.

With more money coming off the books in 2010 we could definitely afford him at 7/140 or 6/120. But dont think JR wants to go moe than 5 for any FA. Plus we have our own arb eligibles to consider after next year. That will bump payroll in 2011 by another 10-15 million. Now if we win the WS in 2010 who knows. (Dreamin there but with the front 4 set it is sure gonna be fun). Mauer catching 4 excellent pitchers has gotta be a motivation beyond what other positions offer. I think only catchers can appreciate going out there with a great rotation and having confidence in the picthes that will be called.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:59 AM)

yup and its guna take a lot more than 5/75

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:19 AM)
yup and its guna take a lot more than 5/75

Maybe...I guess I forgot about the deal that Teixeira just got from the Yankees.

That being said, he doesn't strike me as the type of kid that is going to care about the difference between $17 million a year and $21 million a year. I think as long as the Twins make him a fair offer, and a very rich man, he'll take less and stay there.

I really think folks are underestimating the fact that he is a homegrown kid with somewhat simple tastes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:24 AM)
Maybe...I guess I forgot about the deal that Teixeira just got from the Yankees.

That being said, he doesn't strike me as the type of kid that is going to care about the difference between $17 million a year and $21 million a year. I think as long as the Twins make him a fair offer, and a very rich man, he'll take less and stay there.

I really think folks are underestimating the fact that he is a homegrown kid with somewhat simple tastes.

..i dont know thats a lot, 5+mil more a year. hes guna get atleast 100mil. i think a lot will have to do with how the twins do next year too. if they have a bad year partially bcuz they wont have the dome, then he might want to go elsewhere. well theres still a while till then and we're not getting him, so it doesnt really matter i guess