Would Joe Mauer be worth going after as a FA in 2010?

chisoxfan09

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the question for Mauer staying in minnesota is going to be money, I think he is going to look long and hard at the organizations push to continue to succeed. He has already made a few comments here and there about players moving in and out of the organization, I dont know that he would like to be one of two guys(the other being Morneau) who stay with the team and watch everyone else ride a short revolving door out of town.

If the Twins dont make a good effort to try and build around him and Morneau, then I see a free for all free agency period rivaled by Arod only.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
Mauer seems ticketed for 1B eventually...

If he was an everyday catcher, MAYBE. But that's such a huge long-term deal, only 3-5 teams in baseball realistically could offer it and survive him suffering a major injury.

If the Yankees think he's headed for 1B, they wouldn't be interested since they just locked up Teixeira for 8 years. I think that if the Twins don't re-sign Mauer (especially in the first year of their new stadium), they are playing with fire with their fan base. Mauer is from St. Paul.

The most natural places for him to go are the Red Sox or the Mets if there is a chance that he would move to 1B. Neither team right now have long term solutions at either C or 1B. Victor Martinez is not the solution for the Red Sox long term at either position.

I don't think he'll leave. His agent represented a bunch of players (Cal Ripken, etc.) that played their whole careers in one place. I think he takes less than what the Red Sox or Mets would offer to stay in Minnesota.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
Mauer may be a 3B by 2011.

LOL, no i dont think so. Knee and back problems already, and you want to stick him at the hot corner? Mauer is going to go from Catcher to 1B/DH.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
Crede and Chavez had back/knee issues and played 3B fine.

You are really going to use Chavez as an example right now, when he has pretty much been forcibly retired due to back problems? And Crede as well, considering he ended the last 2 years injured and has already had a couple of injuries pop up this year?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Maybe he can sing the national anthem instead of Liz Phair.....

Liz Phair is cuter and rocks for an "old chick" IMHO.

Ten years ago, I had a really big crush on her...like Sarah McLachlan, too. Maybe the only SoxTalk member to go to Lilith Fair???

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)

Ten years ago, I had a really big crush on her...like Sarah McLachlan, too. Maybe the only SoxTalk member to go to Lilith Fair???

Sir, may I see your man card?

*rip*

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)

Dont get me wrong, Liz is cute and I like her old stuff, but she SUCKS live. Just doesnt have the same vocal range she has on her albums

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:24 AM)
Maybe...I guess I forgot about the deal that Teixeira just got from the Yankees.

That being said, he doesn't strike me as the type of kid that is going to care about the difference between $17 million a year and $21 million a year. I think as long as the Twins make him a fair offer, and a very rich man, he'll take less and stay there.

I really think folks are underestimating the fact that he is a homegrown kid with somewhat simple tastes.

I think all men care about working for what they or the market believes they are worth. No one wants to work for less than they are worth. If top players at their position make $20 Mil per year then he will go where he is offered 20 mil a year for the most years.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
The Yankees will throw everything at Joe Mauer. Everything.

And the Red Sox. And maybe the Mets, if Minaya doesn't kill their payroll flexibility with more stupid contracts. I'm also not sure that Mauer would like the Johnny Damon-esque "traitor" legacy of signing with a rival.

I'd say that we have about a snowball's chance in hell of landing him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
And the Red Sox. And maybe the Mets, if Minaya doesn't kill their payroll flexibility with more stupid contracts. I'm also not sure that Mauer would like the Johnny Damon-esque "traitor" legacy of signing with a rival.

I'd say that we have about a snowball's chance in hell of landing him.

More like AJ Pierzynski-esque

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
I would be shocked if Minnesota did not offer him something along the lines of 5/$75. If he claims he needs 5/$100 or else he'll go to NY or Boston, he'll get raked over the coals by the fanbase.

He'll be getting offered much more than that from BOS and NY, and he'd be a fool not to take it.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
A. J. was traded to the Giants before coming to the Sox. He wasn't exactly a star player that the Twins desperately wanted to re-sign as a FA.

I know his transaction history, Im just referring to a homegrown player signing with a hated rival