Would Joe Mauer be worth going after as a FA in 2010?

chisoxfan09

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
There is no way in hell we are getting Mauer... and talking like this only makes us sound like the Scrubs

Wanting the best hitter in the ML makes us sound like the Scrubs?

Sure :unsure:

There is no way in hell we are getting Mauer... and talking like this only makes us sound like the Scrubs

No sorry I disagree. This is a Board/Forum for faithful and respectful White Sox fans to share their opinions about any subject that is White Sox. All of us understand the probable impossibility to obtain Joe Mauer for a variety of reasons but if KW has shown us anything it is that when he locks in to a target that he believes will bring us true value he is not afraid to take the risk and invest in that player in whatever way he can obtain him. Nothing more nothing less. That is the fun part of being a fan, the speculation and amateur GM activities.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Wanting the best hitter in the ML makes us sound like the Scrubs?

Sure :unsure:

One, he's not the best hitter in the ML... that would be Albert Pujols. Two, Cubs fans are the types of fans to pick out an incredible player and say "we should get him, he would fit great in our lineup." Obviously any team in baseball would lineup to have Mauer, which is exactly the reason the Sox won't get him, when have we ever gotten caught up in a bidding war for a top free agent.

It's ok to wish, but it's not going to happen.

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
One, he's not the best hitter in the ML... that would be Albert Pujols. Two, Cubs fans are the types of fans to pick out an incredible player and say "we should get him, he would fit great in our lineup." Obviously any team in baseball would lineup to have Mauer, which is exactly the reason the Sox won't get him, when have we ever gotten caught up in a bidding war for a top free agent.

gotcha champ, you know it all

Those are fair enough reasons to rebut the proposition. BTW I do not consider myself a scrub. Please remember to leave the attitude at the door when entering this forum. Thank You

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
He'll be getting offered much more than that from BOS and NY, and he'd be a fool not to take it.

I dont really think Bos will get into a bidding war with the yanks. Boston has Vmart now, probably the 2nd best offensive catcher in baseball, and they have him this year at 5.7M and next year at 7M. He probably will command something like 9-11M per year and Boston would probably have no problem giving that to him since they gave Jason "I cant hit for Avg" Varitek 4 years 40 Mil.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Ummm...Joe Crede and Orlando Cabrera to the Twins, as predicted in the offseason.

Not exactly picking up the top players in the game. Crede cant play everyday and just frankly isn't a guy who will ever ever hit for a decent batting average, hes a glove man and base clogger and thats about it. Cabrera is old and has a bit diminished range, can still hit for an acceptable avg (.280 ish) and steal a few bags. Id say moreover Cabrera is a better player than Crede.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Those are fair enough reasons to rebut the proposition. BTW I do not consider myself a scrub. Please remember to leave the attitude at the door when entering this forum. Thank You

Never said you were a scrub bud. All I was saying is that is how Scrub (Cub) fans talk... and I believe Sox fans are more sensical. Either way, it is certainly a nice idea, just don't think it's very plausible, b/c every team in the ML will want him.

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
Never said you were a scrub bud. All I was saying is that is how Scrub (Cub) fans talk... and I believe Sox fans are more sensical. Either way, it is certainly a nice idea, just don't think it's very plausible, b/c every team in the ML will want him.

A lot of teams may still be trying to hold their ground or shedding salary at that point, the job market isn't likely to really turn around until then, so attendance could be still under pressure the next 2 years. That combined with the number of bad deals out there (See: Chicago, NL) will knock out 1/2 the teams. Then there will be the teams that have a C.

The Yankees and Red Sox will be in there. But the Yankees do have at least 1 young catcher on his way up right? It's a winnable bid if you're determined to get him...the question is...does it make sense for the team to lock up that kind of salary in a catcher who might not stay there? IMO, it only does if you have immense flexibility overall due to a number of young guys succeeding.

I only brought it up because of the possible fact that AJ will not be our backstop past next year possibly and Flowers is getting good looks but is still learning the trade. But yes with the injuries Mauer has had maybe being a long term catcher is not wise and DHíng or 1B is better suited for him.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
I only brought it up because of the possible fact that AJ will not be our backstop past next year possibly and Flowers is getting good looks but is still learning the trade. But yes with the injuries Mauer has had maybe being a long term catcher is not wise and DHíng or 1B is better suited for him.

If Mauer can last as a catcher with no major injuries through the end of 2010, then someone will pay him as a catcher. His bat at 1b or DH is nice but no where near what he could get as a catcher. He's a 5/$100 or better player at catcher. He's a 4/$48 DH/1b, give or take. If you don't think he can last at C, then stay the hell away from him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:24 AM)
He's exactly the kind of guy JR would open the checkbook to acquire. I doubt he leaves Minnesota. With their new stadium and revenues, and the Pohlads being perhaps the richest owners in MLB, losing Mauer would be devastating.

Exactly, with the new stadium coming in there is no way they'll let Mauer walk. I could actually see Joe being one of the few guys the Sox would be willing to go after and give a 7-10 year deal to but it won't happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
A lot of teams may still be trying to hold their ground or shedding salary at that point, the job market isn't likely to really turn around until then, so attendance could be still under pressure the next 2 years. That combined with the number of bad deals out there (See: Chicago, NL) will knock out 1/2 the teams. Then there will be the teams that have a C.

The Yankees and Red Sox will be in there. But the Yankees do have at least 1 young catcher on his way up right? It's a winnable bid if you're determined to get him...the question is...does it make sense for the team to lock up that kind of salary in a catcher who might not stay there? IMO, it only does if you have immense flexibility overall due to a number of young guys succeeding.

The Yanks young catcher Montero makes Flowers look like Johnny Bench. There is no way Montero sticks at catcher. He is still a top 20 prospect though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
If Mauer can last as a catcher with no major injuries through the end of 2010, then someone will pay him as a catcher. His bat at 1b or DH is nice but no where near what he could get as a catcher. He's a 5/$100 or better player at catcher. He's a 4/$48 DH/1b, give or take. If you don't think he can last at C, then stay the hell away from him.

I'd take Joe over Tex and Tex just got an insane 10 year deal to play first base so I think your way off in your estimates. I think he gets a 10yr 200M offer or something close.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
I'd take Joe over Tex and Tex just got an insane 10 year deal to play first base so I think your way off in your estimates. I think he gets a 10yr 200M offer or something close.

I need to see more out of Joe Mauer before I am willing to pay him $20 million a year for 10 years. I understand he is one of the league's best hitters - there is no disputing that - but the power he showed earlier this season has tailed off. My guess is he will resume being a 15-20 home run guy next year and I just don't think he is worth $20 million a year if he is going to be an .870 OPS player. However, should he show he can still hit for the power he flashed earlier in the year and hit for a high average, putting up the 1.000 OPS he is currently, then he is probably worth that kind of contract.

As it stands right now, his career numbers to me dictate he is an .870 OPS player. Are you going to pay him $20 million a year while you could pay Flowers a mere fraction of that to post an .800-830 OPS himself? I'm not...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
I need to see more out of Joe Mauer before I am willing to pay him $20 million a year for 10 years. I understand he is one of the league's best hitters - there is no disputing that - but the power he showed earlier this season has tailed off. My guess is he will resume being a 15-20 home run guy next year and I just don't think he is worth $20 million a year if he is going to be an .870 OPS player. However, should he show he can still hit for the power he flashed earlier in the year and hit for a high average, putting up the 1.000 OPS he is currently, then he is probably worth that kind of contract.

As it stands right now, his career numbers to me dictate he is an .870 OPS player. Are you going to pay him $20 million a year while you could pay Flowers a mere fraction of that to post an .800-830 OPS himself? I'm not...

All while playing gold glove defense. I don't think I'd give him that type of deal but if he hits the open market he'll get it or something close to it, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
All while playing gold glove defense. I don't think I'd give him that type of deal but if he hits the open market he'll get it or something close to it, imo.

I think he maxes out around the type of contract Teixeira got, but I obviously could be wrong.

I just don't see him as being that kind of guy though. I think the Twins will offer him a large contract that will make him rich beyond his wildest dreams and he'll take it to stay in Minnesota. I think he is a very similar guy to Mark Buehrle. I don't think he'll want to go to New York or Boston as long as Minnesota doesn't insult him. Of course, there have been rumors about him and Morneau griping about the Twins lack of impact moves around the trade deadline recently, and those same sentiments were expressed by Johan Santana in the past. Of course, Santana is from Venezuela and was a rule-5 pickup by the Twins. Mauer is a Minnesota kid who was drafter by the Twins and grew up with that organization. I just don't see him leaving.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)

If you could convince me he could stay at C the whole time, and I had our current pitching staff, and a bunch of young guys sitting there to fill every other spot on our roster, I'd give him that type of deal. I'm just not sure you do that for a 1b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
If you could convince me he could stay at C the whole time, and I had our current pitching staff, and a bunch of young guys sitting there to fill every other spot on our roster, I'd give him that type of deal. I'm just not sure you do that for a 1b.

Especially when the Odds are we are going to have a 1B out of either our vets (PK, JT, JD) or one of the defensively challenged kids (Viciedo or Flowers).