Peavy throwing from the mound

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
We should just name this the "Jake Peavy rehad thread" and update it in here instead of a new thread every day.

If he threw 50 pitches today, has no pain, I think it is reasonable to say he rehabs for two weeks than is sent to Charlotte for a start or 2 and than BOOM. I don't know much about arm strength building though.

They mentioned it was his calf that they were worried about, atrophy from being immobilized in a boot. The arm they were saying would be fresh

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
They mentioned it was his calf that they were worried about, atrophy from being immobilized in a boot.

Muscle atrophy is a lot worse than many people think. One of my colleagues tore his ACL skiing earlier this year. Right after he went off crutches, he showed me the size difference of his calves, and I was shocked. The calf below the torn knee was only about 2/3 the size of the other.

I'm sure that Peavy has less ground to make up, but rebuilding muscle in his legs is an absolute must before he starts a major league game.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
This is not coops doing. I think you all are forgetting somebody who is even more of a miracle worker than coop; Hermy. If I had to get rid of everybody in the organization except one person, I would keep Herm.

t1_closers.jpg

"Glad someone finally gets it!"

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
Muscle atrophy is a lot worse than many people think. One of my colleagues tore his ACL skiing earlier this year. Right after he went off crutches, he showed me the size difference of his calves, and I was shocked. The calf below the torn knee was only about 2/3 the size of the other.

I'm sure that Peavy has less ground to make up, but rebuilding muscle in his legs is an absolute must before he starts a major league game.

Ya, but we're only talking about a month with the boot I believe. And the muscle memory kicks in pretty quickly anyway.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
On the Score just now Rick Hahn mentioned Dan Hudson's name as a possible option to make one of those 3 starts in August required out of the 5th starter. So I guess he's an option for this year.

I tried to jizz in my pants, but i pooped. Should i be concerned?

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Ya, but we're only talking about a month with the boot I believe. And the muscle memory kicks in pretty quickly anyway.

It's not a question of "memory." Atrophy is an actual loss of muscle mass, and exercise is needed to re-build it.

Agreed that the amount of atrophy that Peavy has experienced is going to be minimal, though. I don't see why he'd need more than a month to rebuild it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Really? Because this is a lot faster of a timetable then the Padres ever had him on. If this is true, Peavy is going to be here sooner than a lot of us expected.

Well, the Padres had to take into account him hitting and running the bases, not just pitching. Makes sense really.

"Newly acquired Jake Peavy threw a light bullpen session Sunday morning and reported there "was no pain in my ankle"

"Manager Ozzie Guillen said there was no timetable for Peavy's debut with the White Sox but that he "had a feeling" would not take the full month that most people expect"http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/08/jake-peavy-throws-painfree-bullpen-session-for-white-sox.html

To be perfectly honest, I'm excited as HELL to get Peavy and I really want to see him pitch, but I REALLY want him to just spend the rest of this season healing. Let him pitch next year; I don't want to see another player rushed too soon. Better safe than f***ed.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
To be perfectly honest, I'm excited as HELL to get Peavy and I really want to see him pitch, but I REALLY want him to just spend the rest of this season healing. Let him pitch next year; I don't want to see another player rushed too soon. Better safe than f***ed.

given the investment they just made i seriously doubt the organization would rush peavy back.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)
September 3rd at Wrigley sounds nice.

i'd like to see him have two starts under his belt heading into that final stretch of the year against divisional teams.

If ready, I would think you would want him for the Sawks and Yanks series'.

Based on the schedule, and utilizing the 3 days off in August, the Sox only have to use a Spot Starter twice if they want to.

LAA - JC, GF, JD

CLE - MB, Spot, JC

SEA - GF, JD, MB

OFF

OAK - JC, GF, JD

KC - MB, Spot, JC

OFF

BAL - GF, JD, MB

BOS - JP, JC, GF, JD

NYY - MB, JP, JC

MIN - GF, JD, MB

CHC - JP

This would give him 8 starts including one in each of the final two series vs Detroit.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
They'll bring him back as soon as he's able.

Too much egg on your face, especially if Richard keeps looking good (in his new park as well)

There is no egg on anyones face right now. The obly way there would be anything like that is if Peavy goes all Yankee Carl Pavano on the white sox, and even then, the egg would not be applied for quite some time

And I dont get why everyone is freaking out that Peavy needs to pitch against the Cubs(not aimed at you RME JCO, I heard a bunch of callers the last few days calling in the score saying that Peavy MUST pitch this game). Its 1 game, not a series, and its interleague.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
There is no egg on anyones face right now. The obly way there would be anything like that is if Peavy goes all Yankee Carl Pavano on the white sox, and even then, the egg would not be applied for quite some time

Yeah, but said in other terms, you dont make this trade and strip the Sox of a #5 starter...unless the guy is going to give you something this year.

So I'm all for the trade, but if they shelve him for this year (by choice, that is)....then it's sending a questionable message to the guys on the team who were liking what CR gave them.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
Yeah, but said in other terms, you dont make this trade and strip the Sox of a #5 starter...unless the guy is going to give you something this year.

So I'm all for the trade, but if they shelve him for this year (by choice, that is)....then it's sending a questionable message to the guys on the team who were liking what CR gave them.

4 years of Peavy, he isnt a rental. Those guys all realize that they just added an ace for 4 years, and even if he doesnt give them much this year, there is more to come.