Peavy throwing from the mound

GreatScott82

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
And I dont get why everyone is freaking out that Peavy needs to pitch against the Cubs(not aimed at you RME JCO, I heard a bunch of callers the last few days calling in the score saying that Peavy MUST pitch this game). Its 1 game, not a series, and its interleague.

It's the perfect time given what we know about his timetable. Plus he'd be seeing no DH against a non-divisional opponent. The other options are @NYY, @Minny, @Boston, or Boston at home. For a first start back? I'll take my chances with the Cubs. Obviously though it really just depends on how he heals.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
Yeah, but said in other terms, you dont make this trade and strip the Sox of a #5 starter...unless the guy is going to give you something this year.

So I'm all for the trade, but if they shelve him for this year (by choice, that is)....then it's sending a questionable message to the guys on the team who were liking what CR gave them.

What was Richard giving us? Two good starts against horrible LHP teams?

Prior to that he got bombed and removed from the rotation, before that had a couple good starts and before that got bombed.

He wasnt even going to be pitching if Colon stayed healthy. He was putting pressure on Ozzie with those last two outtings but the first time he got lit up - he'd have been removed.

So I don't see the questionable message. I saw a team strugglign to figure out who would be there 5 with no real light at the end of the tunnel - to a team now who knows they have to support a 5 starter like Torres with a massive bright light at the end of the tunnel in Peavy. If anything this gives them some resolution to whats occuring and can give everyone a bit of relief b/c they know it's just a one month uncertainty instead of a revolving door for the rest of the year.

I don't think anyone on the team should be questioning whats going on. They need to go take care of business.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

The 3 ER in 21+ IP his last three starts....hitting 94-95 MPH consistently in the middle to latter innings....and he controlled the Brewers, one of the top 2-3 offenses in the NL, for most of his SD debut start two nights ago.

You could understand why players might feel "sacrificing" 3 spots starts was questionable. Of course, we won Carrasco's spot start (luckily against Mitre) and Torres pitched extremely well compared to expectations coming into that game.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
The 3 ER in 21+ IP his last three starts....hitting 94-95 MPH consistently in the middle to latter innings....and he controlled the Brewers, one of the top 2-3 offenses in the NL, for most of his SD debut start two nights ago.

You could understand why players might feel "sacrificing" 3 spots starts was questionable. Of course, we won Carrasco's spot start (luckily against Mitre) and Torres pitched extremely well compared to expectations coming into that game.

And what about the three starts prior to that?

I love what CR gave us his last few outings, but let's not forget what he gave us the three outings or so before that. The guy was inconsistent and while he may post some good performances in Petco, there is absolutely no guarantee he would have done so against the American League.

i give zero chance Peavy pitches against the Cubs. They don't, nor should they, want him on the basepaths with his ankle. I will be extremely disappointed if he is given the ball. Err, this believing its an away game right?

Edited by Stocking

QUOTE (Stocking @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
i give zero chance Peavy pitches against the Cubs. They don't, nor should they, want him on the basepaths with his ankle. I will be extremely disappointed if he is given the ball. Err, this believing its an away game right?

Meh, his ankle is going to take more of a beating pitching than it will running.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
Meh, his ankle is going to take more of a beating pitching than it will running.

yea and chances are he will strikeout and im sure hes smart and knows to be careful trying to run. but he has to run regardless, to cover first, to get to balls. so theyre going to make sure hes 100%

QUOTE (Stocking @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
why even put him in a situation to run? You guys are thinking with your cub hate love.

well he has to run, to get to balls, cover 1st etc. maybe its a dumb question, in regards to the padres "friars" who is that or what does it mean?

QUOTE (Stocking @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 01:32 AM)
why even put him in a situation to run? You guys are thinking with your cub hate love.

I'm thinking he hasn't seen major league months in months and going against the Cubs is a lot better than going into Fenway, Yankee Stadium, or the Metrodome. Those are your other options if the timetable is to be believed.

August 25th seems perfect to me.

He won't be pitching the first game of the Boston series, which also means he won't pitch the Wrigley game on 9/3. I'd rather him not be swinging a bat and running the bases. Let's not tempt fate.

So if he starts Aug 25, he starts Aug 30 at NY.

Then with a six game homestand, the Sox can get him two home games Sep 4 vs Boston and, Wednesday, Sep 9 vs Oak.

Then maybe 9/15 at Sea; 9/20 vs KC, and then two starts vs Detroit to finish the season.

Not that I thought this through or anything.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
August 25th seems perfect to me.

He won't be pitching the first game of the Boston series, which also means he won't pitch the Wrigley game on 9/3. I'd rather him not be swinging a bat and running the bases. Let's not tempt fate.

So if he starts Aug 25, he starts Aug 30 at NY.

Then with a six game homestand, the Sox can get him two home games Sep 4 vs Boston and, Wednesday, Sep 9 vs Oak.

Then maybe 9/15 at Sea; 9/20 vs KC, and then two starts vs Detroit to finish the season.

Not that I thought this through or anything.

Yeah, if it is not the 24th or 25th, then it would be the 29th or 30th. Those dates as his first start would guarantee he pitches in both of the final Detroit series (assuming Ozzie keeps the rotation the same).

Regardless, it is nice to know we will only have to see 2-3 spot starts before he is ready.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)

Ya and he got bombed before those 3. When not facing the god awful Rays and company.

I hope you aren't one of the Jenks supporters who says "velocity means nothing". Im not sure if you are but anytime that gets brought up with him - people love to defend how it doesn't matter.

He'llpitch well I hope in SD. But the point isn't what he will become - it's what he was giving us this season. Which was inconsistency. So who cares if we have 3-4 spot starts with guys throwing who are incapable of giving us the same confidence or chance to win as a Mark Buehrle. Richard was not a lock to pitch well. Don't believe me??? Check his ERA. Pitchers have good starts - and good streaks. It happens. We sold him at the best point we could - he has just every bt a chance to get bombed (like he did in several starts this season) as anyone else we throw. Then we bring in a guy who most likely will pitch better then Richard ever would've. So it's worth it. End of story.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
"Newly acquired Jake Peavy threw a light bullpen session Sunday morning and reported there "was no pain in my ankle"

"Manager Ozzie Guillen said there was no timetable for Peavy's debut with the White Sox but that he "had a feeling" would not take the full month that most people expect"http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/08/jake-peavy-throws-painfree-bullpen-session-for-white-sox.html

The thing about Ozzie - he's honest. He wouldn't say something like that if he didn't believe it. Case in point: When asked by Ken Rosenthal about Beckham right after he was brought up and the club was playing really bad, Ozzie said, "he stinks just like the rest of us".

This is encouraging.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Really? Because this is a lot faster of a timetable then the Padres ever had him on. If this is true, Peavy is going to be here sooner than a lot of us expected.

The Padres were not going to have him pitch this year as there was no need for it. He was going to be traded in the off season and they did not wnat to risk his value dropping. He said he wanted to be back by the end of August with them and they said no.