Peavy throwing from the mound

GreatScott82

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
ESPN 1000 is reporting that Don Cooper hinted at Peavy starting a rehab assignment early next week and needing "about 3 starts" before he's ready.

Bring up Hudson. I'd rather take my chance with him than Torres, and Carrasco needs to be around the bullpen in case Hudson falls flat.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
ESPN 1000 is reporting that Don Cooper hinted at Peavy starting a rehab assignment early next week and needing "about 3 starts" before he's ready.

Say he begins his rehab assignment on Monday. He would likely be available in time for that Boston series. (Aug24th-27th)

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
Bring up Hudson. I'd rather take my chance with him than Torres, and Carrasco needs to be around the bullpen in case Hudson falls flat.

Torres looked servicable against Tampa and the first start jitters should be gone. Hudson will have all of this stuff to work through. I'd also like to see if Torres does ok for him to stay up until Peavy is ready and then stay with the team through September.

The starters could use that extra day I would think which they will not be getting if they skip the number 5 spot.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Torres looked servicable against Tampa and the first start jitters should be gone. Hudson will have all of this stuff to work through. I'd also like to see if Torres does ok for him to stay up until Peavy is ready and then stay with the team through September.

The starters could use that extra day I would think which they will not be getting if they skip the number 5 spot.

Torres is the clear choice. He already put in a good effort, so he has shown the ability to pitch in the majors plus he earned a second try.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)

What exactly does Hudson have to work on in the minors, though? That's the issue for me. And if this idea of overcoming first start jitters were true, well, lets throw up Hudson and get his out of the way too so he can dominate.

People are just transfixed with prospects and this idea of them progressing bit by bit, year by year. Sure, if a player needs to work on some aspect of their game against increasing competition this is the set standard, but if they're already put together (as Beckham was) then what use is there in the minors? Then, even when they're ready, it seems to be a collective feeling among fans that every other option should be explored before doing what's right. Yes, not everyone is Beckham; but Hudson doesn't appear to be challenged -- so why delay him? Our organization obviously doesn't believe much more time is needed if they've promoted him so far, so quickly. I don't see what Charlotte can possibly do for his development.

What's the worst that can happen with Hudson, that he's terrible? Ok, then demote him after. If he's any type of man he wont fall apart in the minors upon returning. He'll learn from his mistakes. I'd honestly rather try Hudson and risk whatever he brings than stick with Torres. This goal here should be putting the best option on the mound, and we all know what that is.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
What exactly does Hudson have to work on in the minors, though? That's the issue for me. And if this idea of overcoming first start jitters were true, well, lets throw up Hudson and get his out of the way too so he can dominate.

People are just transfixed with prospects and this idea of them progressing bit by bit, year by year. Sure, if a player needs to work on some aspect of their game against increasing competition this is the set standard, but if they're already put together (as Beckham was) then what use is there in the minors? Then, even when they're ready, it seems to be a collective feeling among fans that every other option should be explored before doing what's right. Yes, not everyone is Beckham; but Hudson doesn't appear to be challenged -- so why delay him? Our organization obviously doesn't believe much more time is needed if they've promoted him so far, so quickly. I don't see what Charlotte can possibly do for his development.

What's the worst that can happen with Hudson, that he's terrible? Ok, then demote him after. If he's any type of man he wont fall apart in the minors upon returning. He'll learn from his mistakes. I'd honestly rather try Hudson and risk whatever he brings than stick with Torres. This goal here should be putting the best option on the mound, and we all know what that is.

I guess I didn't look close enough at Torres nice outing against the Rays and his very good numbers at AAA. Hudson has had a nice season but so has Torres.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
I guess I didn't look close enough at Torres nice outing against the Rays and his very good numbers at AAA. Hudson has had a nice season but so has Torres.

but Torres is not in the Wsox plans to be a fixture in the rotation the way Hudson, clearly, is. So I agree with FT. Hudson has been dominating EVERY LEVEL this year, we've brought up pitchers from AA before. If Torres is to be in the pen, let's bring up Hudson.

Hudson started the year in Low A, and for a pitcher, his ascension has been absurdly fast. Pitchers take more time to mature and develop than most position players. Its not about what he has to PROVE in the minors, its about where his game is at in regards to how he'd do in the majors. Its possible he's ready, but, seems unlikely to me.

Plus with Torres, he truly isn't learning any more down there, he's got major league experience now (1 game), and I'd like to see what he is worth NOW, before he gets so old that he loses more value (as I think its likely he is trade bait anyway).

I'd rather go with Torres. If he stinks it up in a couple starts, and Hudson gets in a few successful AAA starts, then they can be flipped.

And please no Whisler.

Also, here is another danger with promoting someone that quickly from low levels. Its possible they are just riding a streak. Less than a season could do that, and give you a falsely positive outlook on them. Less likely with more time in. And with pitchers, you have an added polluting factor - if they are only at each level for a brief period, the league's hitters never adjust to him, and he may be getting by more on deception and newness than his actual pitching skills. That won't hold up as well in the majors. So you may, again, be getting a more positive picture than is realistic.

The Sox have a good option in Torres, so there is no reason to run the risk of bringing up Hudson right now. If the best we could muster was Whisler, then, that might be another story.