Rick Hahn on the Score

maggsmaggs

Options for the 5th starter role for the next three starts: Torres, Hudson (Sox believe he could help this year), Garcia or even another bullpen day with Carrasco starting

Top Prospects: Had no interest in moving these guys

Dan Hudson--top pitching prospect (no interest in moving him, but was asked about by a few teams)

Danks

Flowers

Viciedo

Other top pitchers in the system: Leesman and Infante. (Sox view at least)

Peavy allows Sox to compete this year with still a mind on '10, '11 and '12. Implies that the offense will be built around the aforementioned young position players.

Sox looking at middle relief still (but Hahn reiterated, they are always looking for relievers). Sox have a certain set of characteristics they look for in relievers. Sox have good internal options for the bullpen, including Nunez who was just brought up.

Sox got lots of calls about their relievers.

Reinsdorf had no hesitation about bring in Peavy and his contract.

Sox very surprised that Beckham moved so fast. Not only a great player, but a great individual. Hahn shocked by his success so fast and in the majors. Sox feel his D will get better at third, also think over time he will turn into a bigger HR threat (Once he grows into his man strength, according to Hahn).

Nothing too earth shattering, but interesting.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's making it fairly obvious that the organization sees Dan Hudson has the top pitching prospect in the organization and did even when Poreda was around. Hudson was a near untouchable at the deadline.

Hahn is a great interview, very honest and really says the kind of things you like to hear from the front office.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
He's making it fairly obvious that the organization sees Dan Hudson has the top pitching prospect in the organization and did even when Poreda was around. Hudson was a near untouchable at the deadline.

Hahn is a great interview, very honest and really says the kind of things you like to hear from the front office.

He is a straight shooter that is for sure. I hope he is the heir apparent to KW.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
Sounds like they see Bacon long-term at 3b?

It Getz continues to make the strides he's making, he is leading AL Rookies in a few offensive categories and has stolen 16 or 17 bases and only been caught once, Beckham at 3rd is fine. His bat is probably better than anyone imagined.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Based on Ozzie's previous comments to go along with this one from Hahn...I would say absolutely.

I still think long run Getz becomes a utility guy, especially if Viciedo can progress at 3B defensively. Next season it would all depend on what f/a's are available and in our price range.

I'm always skeptical of what I hear from the Sox front office (they have nothing to gain by telling us the truth), but it's nice to hear regardless. I like that they're already thinking about middle relief, which will be key with Dotel on his way out and Linebrink possibly done as a quality reliever.

Thanks for posting and thanks for the audio link.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I still think long run Getz becomes a utility guy, especially if Viciedo can progress at 3B defensively. Next season it would all depend on what f/a's are available and in our price range.

yikes, you gotta fix the bookends of your sig picture

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
beckham at 3b is average to above average, at 2b or ss he's elite. I don't understand keeping him at third for the long haul.

Because it keeps Fields out of the lineup and gives the Sox options in the offseason.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
beckham at 3b is average to above average, at 2b or ss he's elite. I don't understand keeping him at third for the long haul.

I see your point, but it's not about who is elite and where. I think the Sox are trying to find a way to get their best players on the field where they can succeed. I'm sure he can move to second if circumstances change.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)

Oh please Beckham at 3rd base is just fine . All this talk about him being at SS or 2nd base because he's so much more valuable there is nonsense. Will he be a better hitter at 2nd or SS then he is at 3rd base ? Right now Getz and Beckham are doing an excellent job right where they are.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
Oh please Beckham at 3rd base is just fine . All this talk about him being at SS or 2nd base because he's so much more valuable there is nonsense. Will he be a better hitter at 2nd or SS then he is at 3rd base ? Right now Getz and Beckham are doing an excellent job right where they are.

No, market prices are based on others at that position quite often. If the league average at 3b is more productive than at 2b or ss, than you can likely acquire or sign a player who adds more offense at a lower market price at 3b than at 2b. You then move Beckham to 2b and voila!

:)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)

It's not nonsense. It's not like he's A-Rod and puts up MVP offensive numbers. Granted, his bat is so solid that you want it in the lineup no matter where that may be, but fact is, a bat like that is harder to find in the middle infield. That's why Alexei is playing SS right now. First you find a good 3B though, obviously. Someone who is better than Getz. Otherwise don't bother.

It's not the value of Beckham personally so much as it's the overall value to the lineup.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)

this a fantasy baseball type response. if the phillies moved utley to the OF does he become less productive?